Notifications
Clear all

Not so new to Acne.org

MemberMember
(@hopej)

Posted : 04/09/2017 5:24 pm

Hi, everyone!
As you can see, I'm HopeJ (Hope's not my real name). I'm a 25 (almost 26) years old male. I've been around this forum and other sections of Acne.org for around a year by now. I want to tell you my story so far, involving acne, and what I expect for the future months.
Before I start, I want to put out there that I've always been a very optimistic person, and I am trying to keep that way...

I've had acne for some years, but it didn't become a problem until around two years ago. I don't know if it wasn't so bad before, or if I just became self conscious about it then. Anyway, it started affecting many aspects of my life. It killed my confidence, right at a point where I was regaining it, right when I was coming back from a long period (some years) of being down, emotionally speaking. I started feeling (and still feel) that I couldn't speak to women I met, or I felt attracted to, because of my pimples, even though I've got many female friends.
Some people don't know how much this can affect someone's life, so they make jokes about it... I know I don't have to tell you, as many of us have lived those situations. One of my professors, in the last year of my carreer used to make jokes about it. Especially, about a recurrent pimple I have right between my eyebrows. Even some good friends of mine did some jokes, though I know they didn't mean to make me feelbad (it's all about ignorance on the subject).
Last year I decided to beat my acne, as any job related to my carreer has to do with image. For example, being on TV, videos, or photos, professionally. And people who make decisions there, don't even consider people with acne for the jobs. I know it from personal experience... That's when I decided to go to a dermatologist, who prescribed some antibiotics (lymecycline), that I took for more than three months, finishing in October 2016. It got rid of some of my acne, but not much, and not for long. From then on, my acne returned, worse than before and, on top of that, I've got gut problems, since the antibiotics, that I couldn't fix yet. Now, almost anything I eat or drink brings new pimples. I am on a really strict diet, to reduce my pimple count (if that's even an expression), as much as possible. I can't even eat much of anything, or it will bring new pimples, so I've lost some weight.
After trying to beat my acne with antibiotics, antifungals, other antibiotics, creams, masks, homeopathy, etc... I decided to try Accutane (Roacutan in my country) as my new doctor (my mother's doctor for many years, who we really trust) told me. She was on Accutane many years ago, because of some severe acne, and it didn't ever come back. So I've got an appointment next month with the dermatologist that treat her at that moment, to see if I can start using Accutane...
The only thing I am afraid of, right now, is that I can't get the prescription for any reason. For example, my bilirrubin levels were a little bit higher than normal last time I checked my blood some months ago...
Do you think this could be something that doesn't let me get the prescription?
I really want, and need (personally and professionally) to start the treatment soon...
Please, though they might be well intended, avoid comments aboutside effects of Accutane and any other negative review about it. Believe me, I've read a lot about it, about long term side ffects, I've read horror stories involving it, and much more, but I also read a lot of good stuff about it. So after all that, I am decided to go on with it, as it seems the only possible way out of this.I don't need more negative staff about this little light I see on my acne journey, right now.Thanks a lot.

Anyways, this topic is not about Accutane, though the answers about getting the prescription would come in handy...
I have hope of beating my acne soon. And that's why I chose this username... Because all I have right now is hope, but I think it's the best thing I can have right now...
Hope, and this community to support me.
So thanks for reading me and, if I get on Accutane, I will try to keep a log, as long as my confidence letsme...

Best wishes to you all!!!