Notifications
Clear all

End of week 3- help dry scalp!

MemberMember
(@emma321)

Posted : 03/29/2017 11:30 pm

I'm nearing the end of my third week and I've gotten to the start of never having oily hair anymore, hallelujah!...in some ways. It's great because I never have to wash my hair but I've noticed if I go more than a couple days without washing it my scalp gets very flaky and looks dandruff-y so then I feel like I have to wash it even though I don't need to. I'm currently using head and shoulders 2n1. Any other suggestions? I've read things about using moisturizing masks but I don't know what type to get.

MemberMember
(@nathan_np)

Posted : 03/30/2017 4:34 am

You're going to get a lot worse, unfortunately. Although you may not feel the need to was your hair, you still need to moisturise your scalp. Get some jojoba oil and, using it sparingly, massage it into your scalp, leave it for as long as you can and then wash your hair as normal. H&S won't be enough to stop the dry skin that your going to experience. Neither will oil free moisturisers. Feel free to use the jojoba on your face too. Great for it!

MemberMember
(@emma321)

Posted : 03/30/2017 4:07 pm

11 hours ago, Nathan_NP said:

You're going to get a lot worse, unfortunately. Although you may not feel the need to was your hair, you still need to moisturise your scalp. Get some jojoba oil and, using it sparingly, massage it into your scalp, leave it for as long as you can and then wash your hair as normal. H&S won't be enough to stop the dry skin that your going to experience. Neither will oil free moisturisers. Feel free to use the jojoba on your face too. Great for it!

Thank you so much! I'm going to get some asap

MemberMember
(@graciep)

Posted : 03/30/2017 8:54 pm

21 hours ago, Emma321 said:

I'm nearing the end of my third week and I've gotten to the start of never having oily hair anymore, hallelujah!...in some ways. It's great because I never have to wash my hair but I've noticed if I go more than a couple days without washing it my scalp gets very flaky and looks dandruff-y so then I feel like I have to wash it even though I don't need to. I'm currently using head and shoulders 2n1. Any other suggestions? I've read things about using moisturizing masks but I don't know what type to get.

hey emma! I'm six months into 60 mg a day so i definitely feel you on the dryness. I have super longer thick beachy hair that i love a lot so figuring out how to maintain it on accutane has become important for me. Ive also experienced a lot of hair loss that i think could have been prevented had i noticed it sooner so you're lucky! once i finally woke up and realized i had flakes all over my scalp and was losing hair, i started washing my hair with Nizoral (anti dandruff shampoo) and immediately got results...its more powerful than head and shoulders. but the REAL power duo is to use the Nizoral and then condition with an argan oil conditioner...my all time fav is ogx renewing argan oil of morocco. smells like heaven. When I'm not on accutane i use the shampoo too, but you'll need an anti dandruff shampoo to kick the flakes. I usually suds up my hair with Nizoral, and then leave it on for five minutes, rinse, and then apply the conditioner, especially rubbing it into my scalp to renourish and hydrate it....and I leave the conditioner on for 10 minutes...blast some speakers, sing a few songs, wash your body, do whatever you gotta do! and then rinse of course. THEN if I'm going out, after my showers, that same brand OGX actually makes a pure hair oil...this stuff HALLELUJAH its amazing. it'll make you smell like a goddess and look like one too. just massage it into your scalp and down through your ends (you can do this on dry or wet hair so you don't even have to do it after a shower), no need to rinse it out it just stays and soaks into your hair! Also as far as showering goes, I rinse my body every day but I only wash my hair and do that whole process every 3-5 days. I know it seems weird but I'm close with my hairdresser and derm and they both said that washing your hair every day will make it fall out and make your scalp so much more dry and flaky. hope that helps!!

MemberMember
(@nathan_np)

Posted : 03/30/2017 10:25 pm

+ 1 for Argan oil products. Will work just fine for you also.

(Sorry but I won't be answering any more questions beyond today. I received just enough backlash from a post last night to make me rethink my position on this site. Some people just don't want to hear how it is. I'll leave it to everyone else and there respective medical treating teams)