Acne/skin picking j...

Notifications
Clear all

Acne/skin picking journey

MemberMember
(@ninipicks)

Posted : 01/24/2017 12:06 pm

Hi evereyone, 

I'm 22 (french, sorry for the mistakes) with mild/severe acne, I pick my skin everyday, keep touching my face and back searching any pimple to squeeze, anything to rub.. getting things worse. I have sometimes some crisis when I spend at least an hour picking at my whole face..  It feels satisfying at the moment. I'm red and full of bumps.. I put then a cream that's supposed to help with scars and I feel horrible. I've been doing this for about 7 years but I haven't found a way to stop. I'm really sick about it. 

My doctor prescribed me accutane but I finally decided not to take it because I'm afraid of the consequences, my friend have been on accutane 3 times and she still have pimples,  and I feel like if I have these pimples I have to solve the problem not just the symptoms. And even if accutane would help first I would probably continue to pick..

I have a greasy acne-prone skin.
I have anxiety issues : I'm very shy and being with people I don't know well is enough to make me anxious, I'm stressed during my internship, when I have to learn lots of things in a small amount of time, during my exams etc..
Skin picking of course doesn't help.

What I try to do to improve (I'm not doing this well actually) : 

Have a healthy diet : no sugar, no dairy, fruits and vegetables.
Do some sport : running 30 min 3-4 times a week or some gym with a youtube video.
Meditate : 10 min a day with an app to help release stress.
Avoid touching my skin  :  the hardest, I do this all the time, I often don't realize I'm picking at my skin >:(>:(. I covered my mirrors but I keep uncovering them during the "crisis".
I wash my skin with a cleansing gel and exfoliate from time to time.
For my bacne I'll try to rub a lemon with sugar on it (worked for a girl on YT) 
I have also a lotion with glycol acid to put at night, and benzyl peroxyde (I don't apply this after having picked my skin, so it's been I while I haven't).
I'm going to buy manuka honey to do some masks to help my skin heal a bit.
I moisturize every day and use derma blend to cover up my skin. 
I change my bed sheets every week, and my towels every day.
I had pelvic ultrasound : my ovaries are normal.

If you have any suggestions..

Sorry for the looong post. Thanks for those who have read this.
I'd like to post here everyday (maybe you could also post your experience, how you feel, what you're doing to stop).

MemberMember
(@ninipicks)

Posted : 01/26/2017 6:43 am

DAY 1:

« POP Pilates for Beginners - Total Body Workout » YT 30 min

(Lukewarm water)

-                Morning

·              

·              

-                Evening

·              

·              

Other skincare: Nothing

1,5 L of water

1,2 L of tea (0,6 L spearmint green tea + 1 tsp maple syrup; 0,6 L orange bergamot green tea + 1 tsp maple syrup)

Skin picking:

No touching

No crisis

Stress level: medium

My skin today:

RC 25:01.png
LC 25:01.png
FH 25:01.png

Day of menstrual cycle:  Day 2

7 hours

Clean environment:

Bed sheets:  changed on Sunday 22nd

MemberMember
(@ninipicks)

Posted : 01/26/2017 7:18 pm

DAY 2:

- Build a Booty Workout | POP Pilates for Beginners

- Body Slimming Workout | POP Pilates for Beginners

(cold water)

- Morning

Neutrogena - Visibly clear cleansing gel; Neutrogena - Visibly clear exfoliating cleansing gel; Vichy Dermablend foundation; Kiko Full coverage concealer

Bioderma - Atoderm shower gel

- Evening

Neutrogena - Visibly clear cleansing gel; Neutrogena - Visibly clear exfoliating cleansing gel; benzoyl peroxyde 5%

Bioderma - Atoderm shower gel; lemon/sugar scrub

Other skincare: Avene Cicalfate, on the afternoon

0,2 L of water

1,2 L of tea (0,6 L Earl Grey + 1 tsp agave syrup; 0,6L Prince Wladimir + 1 tsp agave syrup)

Skin picking:

Squeezed a pimple, rubbed some dead skins

No big crisis

Stress level: low

Day of menstrual cycle: Day 3

6 hours

Clean environment:

Bed sheets: -

MemberMember
(@ninipicks)

Posted : 01/27/2017 6:31 pm

DAY 3:

-                POP Pilates: Beginner Inner Thighs | Invade London

-                POP Pilates for Beginners: Ab Time!

(cold water)

-                Morning

·               Neutrogena - Visibly clear cleansing gel; Neutrogena - Visibly clear exfoliating cleansing gel;

·               Bioderma - Atoderm shower gel

-                Evening

·              

·              

Other skincare: Avene “ Cicalfate, on the afternoon

0L of water

1L of tea

Skin picking:

>:(:@-_-

Picked at my skin, squeezed every pimple I could find¦ I really feel like I™m never going to stop. I™ve tried so many times and I always fail. I™m already covered with scars that won™t fade and I keep getting it worse and worse. I™m tired.
But I™ll try again. Got some gloves. I™ll put them on every time I™ll be at home. I also ordered manuka honey.

Stress level: medium

Day of menstrual cycle:  Day 4

7 hours

Clean environment:

Bed sheets:  -

MemberMember
(@ninipicks)

Posted : 01/28/2017 7:04 pm

DAY 4 :

nothing

(water)

- Morning

- Evening

Other skincare: nothing

0,5L of water

- L of tea

Skin picking:

No touching

No big crisis

Stress level: high

Day of menstrual cycle: Day 5

7 hours

Clean environment:

MemberMember
(@ninipicks)

Posted : 01/29/2017 4:58 pm

DAY 5:

- POP Pilates: Labor Day Workout (Beginners, Total Body) | Invade London

- Bubble Butt (Clenching my Booty) Workout | POP Pilates for Beginners

(cold water)

- Morning

Neutrogena - Visibly clear cleansing gel; Neutrogena - Visibly clear exfoliating cleansing gel

- Evening

Neutrogena - Visibly clear cleansing gel; Neutrogena - Visibly clear exfoliating cleansing gel

Other skincare: Avene Cicalfate, on the afternoon; Hydra bomb mask

0 L of water

1,2 - L of tea (0,6 L organic green tea)

Skin picking:

Touched and removed dry skin

No big crisis

Day of menstrual cycle: Day 6

7 hours

Clean environment:

Bed sheets: changed

MemberMember
(@ninipicks)

Posted : 01/30/2017 4:18 pm

DAY 6:

Sport

- Arm Fat Blaster | POP Pilates for Beginners

- POP Pilates for Beginners - Total Body Workout

Cleaning(cold water)

- Morning

- Evening

nothing

Other skincare Avene Cicalfate, on the afternoon; Manuka honey overnight

0 L of water

3 L of tea (5x0,6 L infusion)

Skin picking:

A bit touching (bought thin silk gloves to prevent picking, works pretty good but I sometimes get them off to use my phone)

No big crisis

Meditation : 10 min with Headspace

Day of menstrual cycle: Day 7

5 hours

Clean environment:

I would be really happy if you told be what Im doing right/wrong for you, what I should do or stop doing Im trying to apply advices I have found on this forum and from other sources but if you have any other advices, pleaase post it. I have acne for so long and feel a bit desperate now but Im going to keep trying on and on.

MemberMember
(@ninipicks)

Posted : 02/01/2017 9:05 am

DAY 7:

SPORT

- POP Pilates for Beginners: Ab Time!

- 10 Min Ab Sculpting Workout to Blast Belly Fat

(cold water)

- Morning

- Evening

OTHER SKINCARE -

0 L of water

1,8 L of tea (3x0,6 L infusion)

SKIN PICKING:

Squeezed my whiteheads and picked at my skin

STRESS LEVEL: low

DAY OF MENSTRUATION CYCLE: Day 7

5 hours

CLEAN ENVIRONMENT:

MemberMember
(@meg242424)

Posted : 02/06/2017 10:03 am

Hi I am 21 and also a compulsive skin picker. 

It's actually an obsessive compulsive disorder called Dermatillomania. When I first realised I had this I freaked out but then I quickly realised it explains why I can pick or "search" my skin when I'm not aware of it and why I excessively pick during stressful times in my life. For example, if I have an exam or am struggling with anxiety I can spend hours in one day picking my skin. I also scan and pick my arms (which has caused scaring) and I even search through my scalp. I used to prefer my scalp behaviour because at least it was covered in hair and no one could see. However, I accepted this was still picking and making my behaviour continue and I had to stop.
I'm I'm honest therapy is going to be helpful to unlearn this behaviour (I am yet to try this). Personally, I find I don't pick when I have make up on. Silly I know but If I have make up on I can't see the imperfections and I don't want to rub it into my skin so my brain seems to turn off and I don't tend to pick. Also If my skin is particularly oily I will pick. So days when I am not wearing make up and my skin becomes oily I simply splash my face with water, dab with a clean towel and walk away. I've learned not to obsess over how often I pick and what products I use. As picking is linked to anxiety not obsessing over these things is key! Your skin would benefit more from you not picking than it ever would from all the creams and medication. I would say your skin is a lot better than mine from the pictures you have provided. Do not be too hard on yourself and please try not to obsess. I have been picking for years too, probably around 7 as well, but I only found out last year about the condition. The issue with skin pickers is not our skin per say but our anxieties and how we pick for comfort. It sounds crazy but it's true.

Good luck- you are not alone! :)

MsReefer liked
MemberMember
(@ninipicks)

Posted : 02/09/2017 11:30 am

Hi Meg ! Thanks for your reply  :D

You're entirely right. I obsess too much about that. To the point that I have covered every mirror in my apartment and the only thing that really stops me when I'm anxious is wearing gloves but I have to remove them to use my phone or computer so it doesn't keep me from picking at 100%.
I'll try to just keep good habits, not feel guilty every time I eat something wrong or do something that could be bad for my skin and stop this tracking.
I've read a bit about dermatillomania, but never took the step to go on therapy. I always feel like I can do it on my own. Just take the decision and stop, but regarding how long I've been doing this, seeking help is probably a good thing. I would be really happy to know how it goes and to see your progress. These therapies are a bit expensive but if it helps its definitely worth it.
I feel like regular meditation and a little sport, 30 minutes gym or going for a walk helps a lot too. 

meg242424 liked
MemberMember
(@nini1989)

Posted : 02/25/2017 11:46 am

I'm the worst picker I've ever heard of if I can I will sit in front of a mirror and pick all day. I'm very ocd about it I have scabs and scars all over my face. I'm always reading self help articles and books for it one thing that has been helping me is avoiding mirrors. I cover them or turn them around. I also avoid touching my face with my bare hands. When I wash it I used washcloths. When I put lotion and makeup on I use cotton balls, brushes, and sponges. I have to admit, I still pick when I get a chance because my acne is painful and itchy but, I'm trying my hardest to stop. I also keep my nails short...hope this helps.

Like the by the way!

MemberMember
(@albertwilliam)

Posted : 02/28/2017 9:32 pm

Have you tried out some Ayurvedic skin care productsfor removing these pimples??

MemberMember
(@msreefer)

Posted : 03/02/2017 7:38 pm

On 2/6/2017 at 9:03 AM, meg242424 said:

Hi I am 21 and also a compulsive skin picker. 

It's actually an obsessive compulsive disorder called Dermatillomania. When I first realised I had this I freaked out but then I quickly realised it explains why I can pick or "search" my skin when I'm not aware of it and why I excessively pick during stressful times in my life. For example, if I have an exam or am struggling with anxiety I can spend hours in one day picking my skin. I also scan and pick my arms (which has caused scaring) and I even search through my scalp. I used to prefer my scalp behaviour because at least it was covered in hair and no one could see. However, I accepted this was still picking and making my behaviour continue and I had to stop.
I'm I'm honest therapy is going to be helpful to unlearn this behaviour (I am yet to try this). Personally, I find I don't pick when I have make up on. Silly I know but If I have make up on I can't see the imperfections and I don't want to rub it into my skin so my brain seems to turn off and I don't tend to pick. Also If my skin is particularly oily I will pick. So days when I am not wearing make up and my skin becomes oily I simply splash my face with water, dab with a clean towel and walk away. I've learned not to obsess over how often I pick and what products I use. As picking is linked to anxiety not obsessing over these things is key! Your skin would benefit more from you not picking than it ever would from all the creams and medication. I would say your skin is a lot better than mine from the pictures you have provided. Do not be too hard on yourself and please try not to obsess. I have been picking for years too, probably around 7 as well, but I only found out last year about the condition. The issue with skin pickers is not our skin per say but our anxieties and how we pick for comfort. It sounds crazy but it's true.

Good luck- you are not alone! :)

Wow, I relate so much to you it's actually scary. I didn't know there were others that felt like this. I cry after I have a pickfest(what I call my pimple-popping escapades) I curse myself and wonder why I do it when I know what the consequences are. But I find that wearing makeup actually made my impulsions worse because the way the scab looked after I'd cake on makeup. I hate the way they look regardless. I have so much hyperpigmintation because of my horrible habit. But I'm just glad I'm not the only one, it doesn't make me feel as hopeless.

meg242424 liked
MemberMember
(@meg242424)

Posted : 03/15/2017 9:28 am

I really think it is a LOT more common than we all think but people obviously have varying degrees of picking behaviour and we have some of the more severe examples! In fact in making the conscious decision to finally tackle my picking behaviour I have noticed I have a close friend who is always picking! I think she has probably triggered me in the past too- it's quite scary. 
If I think back I remember my Mum insisting she squeezed a few tiny spots that I had on my forehead and she proceeded to cover them in make up and I've had a problem ever since that has just grown worse over the years. 
I'm glad I know that it is a genuine condition now though. I still have my bad days but they aren't as frequent and I try to focus on all the good days I've had to keep me in check! I'm also drinking lots of water daily to help with the oily skin (it really is helping) and I use face masks over lotions and creams. This means I not only have a covered face but I don't get the opportunity to scan my face as I apply products! All it takes is for me to see a collection of blocked pores in certain lighting and I'll be back and forth to the mirror all day.

I found make up clung to scabs and spots too but I have persevered and I find Clinique's stay-matte oil-free to be the best at not drying up or moving about. It is pricey and obviously everybody's skin is different but that works for me. Ironically, I used Clinique's anti blemish foundation for 2 years and I found it so drying that I was constantly picking and forming lumps and bumps and more acne.

It really is stressful for us all but like I said it's almost comforting to know that it is recognised and people have overcome this!

Keep going guys, one day we will all be able to look in that mirror urge-free! :)

MemberMember
(@nicole-lee33)

Posted : 03/21/2017 11:48 pm

I, too, suffer from this. I'm addicted to popping, squeezing, and picking my acne. I have acne on my face, back, chest, shoulders, and arms. Whenever I have a flare up, I'll sit for minutes on end to try and release the white pustule and/or pus until it comes out. I'll pick at my entire body trying to find something to squeeze and release. I'll tell myself to stop and will go a few days without picking, but then I'll get bored and once I pick at one, I have to pick at every single one on my body. I go tanning sometimes to try and cover up the redness. I went one full year without acne on my body and I didn't pick then because there wasn't anything to pick at. Well now it's back. Right now, my skin is inflamed and red because I just spent 30 minutes sneezing every pimple on my body. I hope the acne medication the dermatologist puts me on clears up everything, because I can't stop picking until there's nothing to pick at anymore.. I need support