Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
svuchic

Started spiro but my breasts are very tender and a bit swollen

I am brand new to this acne stuff at 33 years old.  Had a blood test that was suggestive of PCOS even though my testosterone levels are great.  One ovary is polycystic so im guessing I do indeed have it, even thought the gyn wasn't so sure.  Finally saw the derm who put me on Spiro.  I can't believe I am almost 3 weeks in and the little pimples have stopped coming up.  I did have about 3 cystic ones pop up and go back down quickly.  Strange.  About 2 weeks in, my breasts feel like I have PMS or I am pregnant.  It's neither of those things so I know spiro is causing it.  Will this side effect go away?  I haven't had the side effect of using the bathroom more often but I do get dry lips and skin.  Trying to drink more water.  

I believe that's a normal side-effect at first when taking any type of hormonal medication. It happened to me both when I started the pill and then again when I started Spiro. It should go away. I didn't really notice an increase in the amount of times I use the bathroom either, but I already pee a lot anyways. I also experienced dry skin/lips. My derm started me on what I consider a high dose (100mg) so it made my skin very dry. I've been on it for 3 months and though the dryness has subsided a bit, we are going to experiment with lowering my dose to 50mg find more of a happy medium (my skin was a greasy mess before starting the medication). I am 24 by the way!

Oh wow 100 seems high.  Have you had any issues with hair growth?  I have only had mild but persistent acne.  I am on 50 mg a day and I don't know if she plans to increase me later or not.  Thanks for your reply.  I usually get the breast pain before a period and with all 3 of my kids I did too.  I suppose I am prone to it when it comes to hormone changes.  Makes getting in and out of bras and running rather uncomfortable!

I thought so too, especially after reading through some of these forums and seeing most people start on 25mg or 50mg. So, we'll see how 50 works for me. I haven't experienced any issues with hair growth though. I think that is a more rare side effect, even though it seems to come up on this forum a lot. I would not think your derm would increase your dose unless it doesn't seem to be working for you! Let me know how things end up working for you.

But yeah, I agree that breast tenderness can get annoying! I guess I don't mind so much because mine have gotten a little bigger since starting the BCP/Spiro. I'm normally more flat-chested so I can't complain haha. :)