Notifications
Clear all

Does Benzoyl Peroxide cause long term damage

MemberMember
(@heroicbottle)

Posted : 09/23/2016 3:42 pm

Hi,

I've been using Benzoyl Peroxide for about 4 months now and I was wondering whether the treatment causes long term damage whilst making one's skin look good at present.

MemberMember
(@cantiergibbon)

Posted : 09/23/2016 4:16 pm

They claim that there is no long term effects of using BP, but it hasn't been proven (the worst that is going to happen is wrinkles, and if you only use it for spot treatment then you have nothing to worry about). I've used BP my whole life and i am weening myself off of it now because my skin is starting to get itself under control since I'm getting older. 2.5% is a great choice; many people don't realize that it has the exact same effect as the 10% solution, only it is way more skin friendly and less drying.  All Benzoyl Peroxide does is allow the skin to become oxygenated. The P-Acnes bacteria cannot live in oxygenated conditions, and so they die. The BP doesn't actually kill the bacteria itself, rather the oxygen allowed into your skin does the job. Therefore, it seems as though scientists are correct when they estimate that it will cause no long term effects. 

Hope this Helps ^_^

MemberMember
(@shrewdbamboo)

Posted : 01/21/2017 2:57 pm

It can cause damage but not always and not for everyone.

I used it for 2 years (variety of strengths) without any problems however about 6 months ago I began to get redness and irritation. I stopped using it completely 2 months ago however the redness and irritation remain, despite trying various moisturisers. Still praying for it to go away as a red chin is almost as embarrassing as the inflamed spots I used to get frequently.

Short answer: keep an eye on your skin and follow the advice of the regimen. If your skin becomes red/irritated, cut right back on the amount you use, or maybe even stop.

MemberMember
(@ineedhelp1312)

Posted : 01/21/2017 3:12 pm

No, I've been using BP for 4 years now and im glad to say im acne free. My skin is better than ever and I can't describe with words how good BP is for your skin.

MemberMember
(@98ba)

Posted : 01/23/2017 11:07 am

Just stick to the 2.5% version and the chance of LONG TERM damage to the skin should be very minimal.

Also remember to use a good sunscreen everyday, even when it's cloudy. BP and sunbeams are not a good combination since you burn easier while on BP.