Notifications
Clear all

Tret's Accutane Log 2016 - Mild Acne

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 09/12/2016 10:45 pm

Hey guys, welcome to my accutane log.

So I finally got my dermatologist to prescribe me accutane! I've had acne since I was about 15, got progressively worse around 16-17, cleared up a bit 17-18, but still getting spots cause of my oily skin. Hopefully accutane will be the answer in my quest for clear skin! I'll be updating this thread roughly every week.

My stats:
6'0
78kg
Male

Facial pictures before accutane:
http://imgur.com/a/cqNmV

My first 2 weeks will be at 20mg/day.

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 09/16/2016 9:58 pm

Week 1

Held off doing any updates for the first few days as I know accutane doesn't work that fast. So anyway

Day 5-everything is going good so far. Breaking out a little bit in tiny whiteheads on my chin and a few on the left cheek. Right cheek is clear so far. Can't tell if this is the start of the IB but if it is, I hope it stays in the form oftiny whiteheads.

Day 6 -woke up to a small whitehead on my right cheek, and I can feel another one forming right above it. A little bit of an itchy redarea on my right jaw, I feel this is another small whitehead forming. Forehead looks like it's developing some small whiteheads too. So far, so good.

Update... so the itchy red area on the right side of my jaw became a tiny whitehead. I lanced and drained that just now. Got one in the middle of my chin as well, its a bit sore but I don't think it'll be much of a problem. Few tiny whiteheads are forming on the area around my jaw

Day 7 -popped the pimple in the middle of my chin. So far so good. No sides so far besides a little bit of fatigue. Skin is still producing too much oil..

MemberMember
(@underdog69)

Posted : 09/17/2016 8:28 pm

Hey mate what dosage are you on at the moment? Also how many actives do you currently have. It looks quiet similar to my condition where it's mostly red marks.

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 09/18/2016 4:35 am

8 hours ago, Underdog69 said:

Hey mate what dosage are you on at the moment? Also how many actives do you currently have. It looks quiet similar to my condition where it's mostly red marks.

Currently doing 20mg/day. In terms of actives, I don't really know man. Probably 4-5 really tiny whiteheads forming. Can't tell if its the initial breakout of if I'm breaking out normally lol. Usually I just lance these things and use tissue to wipe it off

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 09/19/2016 10:15 pm

Week 2

Day 8-so it's been over a week now, and I can't tell if accutane is affecting me yet. My skin still gets oily, and I'm not experiencing much dryness etc. I have a few very small bumps/whiteheads on the forehead. Left side on my sideburns I have a red bump. It doesn't hurt at all to the touch and my guess is that it'll go down within the next 2-3 days.

Day 9-Extractedtiny whiteheads on my forehead, a mildly inflamed one on my left sideburn, one in my left side on my chin, and a blackhead on my right cheek. Not really getting anything serious, breakouts are quite mild and nothing to worry about so far. At this point I haven't gotten any severe blemishes that could cause scarring or pigmentation that'll last more than 2 months. Blood test also came out good except for my glucose, which is slightly above normal. Hopefully this isn't because of accutane.

Day 10-Everything is going well so far, my lips are getting slightly chapped and I feel like my skin is producing less oil. Going to my dermatologist tomorrow as well.

Day 11-Went to my derm, blood sugar was too high so I'm staying on the same dose for the rest of the month. Going to drastically cut out sugars this next 2 weeks so I can hopefully increase dose. Not many actives at all today, just a small red bump on my left chin. Tbh I think the accutane is working already.

Day 13-Woke up with 2 whiteheads today. One on my mustache area and one of my left chin. Lanced and drained them both. Also I'd like to note that the drying effects of accutane are definitely here. My skin is definitely producing less oil now. Blackheads on nose seem to be more noticeable, I believe accutane is pushing them out.

Day 14-I believe accutane is causing some back pain. Went to the gym today and man, my back hurts just doing barbell rows and squats. May have to go easy on them now (Rip gains)

CUMULATIVE DOSE SO FAR: 250MG

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 09/27/2016 7:56 am

Week 3 - 20mg/day

Day 15- I'm 100% sure accutane is working now. I took a shower at around 7am, stayed in school for about 12 hours, and am writing this blog right now about 14 hours after I last showered/washed my face. Without accutane my face would be drenched in oil, but right now it seems that even the places where I previously was very oily (nose especially) is on normal levels of oil production. I'm so happy about this. I have mild back pains happening and dry lips as my side effects, and dry eyes when in air conditioned rooms. Acne wise, nothing serious has popped up on my face. Just have some very unnoticable tiny whiteheads (1 on my forehead, and 1 forming on my chin). HOWEVER, I have 2 pretty bad pimples on my back.

edit; dry lips are pretty bad, have to use chapstick/vesline all the time now. Also have some whiteness thats dry around the lips which looks a bit weird.

Day 16- Few small whiteheads came up, all within my temple/forehead area. They're very small so I just lanced them with a needle and am now letting it heal. Dry lips are pretty bad today, oh well.

Day 18 (September 30)- So the past 2 days have been pretty bad. Got a pretty big bump on my chin right now, and yesterday I popped a whitehead on my left temple and extracted a very deep clogged pore on the right side of my jaw (this one would of turned into a nasty cyst). Today I also popped a whitehead on my right side of my face just under the eye. Blackheads on nose seem very obvious, I think accutane is pushing them out.

Day 19- Pimple on chin is going down in terms of inflamation, but it has 2 blackhead like things coming out of it (weird). Right now I've got a painful one on my nose, but its so deep inside that you can't even see it from the outside besides its redness. Blackheads on and around my nose look really weird, its like a combination of sebaceous filaments and blackheads.

Day 20-Well, not much to report. Got a red spot on my upper right cheek near my eye, and my red pimple on my chin seems to be going down. Note to self: Never try popping pimples on Accutane. Apparently they stay red for longer than normalwhich sucks. Scratched some sebaceous filaments/blackheads out of my nose, although it still looks like there is a lot left to purge out. The areas near my nose are feeling rough, as well as the areas near my lips. I did my research and found out that this sandpaper like texture is normal, Accutane is just purging out all the clogs etc. At least Im not getting too many big inflamed pimples (yet, hoping and praying it doesnt happen). Pimple on nose has seemed to gone down and is less painful,

Would also like to note that my face is a bit more red when I wash it after I workout. Although it did seem to get red after washing prior to Accutane, my mom noticed it this evening and commented on it. My guess is that Accutane is making my face a little more sensitive. Back pain still persists a little when working out and lying down.

Day 21-So today I woke up with a relatively clear face. Come home from school, and I got 2 new weird bumps. On near my mouth (it looks slightly raised, not very red at all, almost like a mosquito or insect bite, and a raised bump on my right cheek. This bump on the right cheek isnt very red either, its just a weirdly shaped slightly raised bump. Nothing too obvious, Ive experienced these before and usually they go away within 3-4 days. I also have a pimple near my hairline. Chin is feeling a little rough, I believe the sebaceous filaments are being pushed out from there as well. Left side it relatively clear, although I see 2 new areas where a clogged pore is gonna get extracted.
Again Im not too worried, just kind of bummed out because I thought I wouldnt have any sort of initial breakout or anything. Guess I was wrong. Hopefully it doesnt get much worse than this.

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 10/04/2016 10:08 am

Day 22- Not a good day at all. Last night I picked a blackhead on the right side of my chin, it turned into a whitehead. Red thing on right side of chin turned into a whitehead as well. Drained both, man they look weird. Sebaceous filaments are making my chin and nose/area around nose rough, although I do understand this is part of the purging process. Slightly raised bump on right cheek is still there. Overall nothing too serious, probably just being obsessive rn

Day 25 (October 7)-Not much to update on except the fact that I am forced to drop down to 10mg/day due to a delayed appointment I'll be having with my dermatologist. Today I had 2 clogged pores start to come up, so I poked them and extracted the clog before it could develop into a full blown inflamed lesion. I believe I did so pretty efficiently with minimal damage. Besides this I have a few minor pimples. 1 fading whitehead on my left temple, a bump on my left side of the forehead, and a red bump on my chin.

Pores on nose and around the nose seem to be unclogging quite nicely. I am able to scratch off some but will refrain from doing so as it could break my skin. I have also noticed sebaceous filaments that'll be soon coming out of my upper cheek area, although not as much as the area around my nose.

Day 26-Fuck, so a pretty big pimple showed up on the right side of my temple today. Bump on chin has turned into a pretty small whitehead which i lanced and drained. Today marks day 1 of doing 10mg/day till my next appointment.

Day 27-Bump showed up right in the middle of my forehead...Making me look like an indian. Its a good thing it isnt that red, added some mometasone on it so it should go down within a few more hours. Its quite itchy atm. So far everything is doing fine, bump on my right temple seems to have gone down after I put some mometasone on it last night. Area around my eye on the right side of my face is looking a little congested, Accutane is probably going to purge the clogs out of this area as well.

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 10/13/2016 7:40 am

Week 4

Day 29-Don't have any "active" acne right now, although I do have somewhat of a sandpaper like texture on my cheeks and areas around my nose. Area around my chin has seem to have gotten smoother, I think all the underskin bumps are almost completely gone. After closely examining my skin, Ive found that Ive got a ton of under skin small comedones that are almost at the top. I reckon these wont turn into anything inflamed and are relatively easy to extract. Hopefully it stays non-inflamed and just comes out with some exfoliation. Still on 10mg/day so far, blood test tomorrow as well.

Forgot to mention that my skin is definitely more oily on this lower dose as well.

Day 30- Bump showed up in between my eyebrows, and my retarded self tried to pop itbad move. Ive added a topical steroid on it so hopefully the inflammation goes down. Isnt not even that big though I just got annoyed.

Also have a small little whitehead on the right side of my face, other than that its just the sandpaper like skin thats bothering me. As I dropped to 10mg my oiliness on my nose has come back a little. Blood test results came in and im pretty much fine right now,

Day 31- Bump between eyebrows cleared. Nose is getting quite oily @ 10mg/day, cant wait till I get back on a higher dose. Forehead and the rest of my face isnt oily at all though surprisingly. Pores around my nose and mouth area are unclogging quite nicely, however, the rest of my face is feeling quite bumpy. Ive looked closely and tiny comedones are being extracted out of the pores on my cheeks/forehead and temple area.

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 10/18/2016 9:49 pm

Week 5

Back on 20mg/day dosage since October 13.

Day 36(October 18) - 2 whiteheads showed up on my right side of the cheek. I lanced and drained them. Everything else is doing fine.

Day 39-Well I'm getting weird itchy bumps around my face where my clogged pores are. I believe its the clogged pores being pushed out. Nose area is looking real good, as well as chin area. Congestion is clearing up around my cheeks, although I do need more improvement so I'm just going to give this time. I'm not getting many inflammed pimples as well, so thats a good thing for me mentally.

Day 40-So bumps around my cheeks are slowly clearing up. Left side has some more noticeable bumps that I may have to extract when they get closer to the surface. Progress is looking good, nose still has some blackheads but I'm confident they will clear up. Chin has a minor red bump but nothing much to worry about. Overall I am very happy with the progress despite being on a low dose

Day 41 -Extracted a clogged pore on the left side of my cheek, it looked like it wasn't gonna come out on its own, started to look inflamed so I just had to extract it. I am praying that nothing is left inside and that this doesn't turn into a whitehead tomorrow.

Day 42-Woke up with a bump on my chin today. Seems pretty deep but it doesn't hurt...praying this isn't a cyst.

MemberMember
(@wadex)

Posted : 10/24/2016 7:52 pm

Good luck Tret, hope both our journeys go well!

Tretinoin liked
MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 10/29/2016 8:29 pm

Week 6 - 20mg/day

Day 47 (October 29)-Skin is getting smoother to the touch, cheeks no longer have that bumpy feeling from all those pores coming out. I still have some clogged pores on my cheeks but they're not much to worry about. Right now I have a red little closed pore on the right part of my jaw, I think it'll clear up just in time for halloween. Oil production is still low, I think my skin looks good besides a little bit of hyperpigmentation. They're fading though which is good.

Day 48 - extracted a clogged pore on the left side of my face. Everything else looks fine.

MemberMember
(@underdog69)

Posted : 10/29/2016 9:44 pm

Hi Tret hope all is going well - do you have any pictures from before and now? Would love to see your progress. The link in your initial post isn't working.

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 10/29/2016 10:26 pm

39 minutes ago, Underdog69 said:

Hi Tret hope all is going well - do you have any pictures from before and now? Would love to see your progress. The link in your initial post isn't working.

Hey man, nah I haven't taken any pics, I'll probably do one @ the 3-4 month mark and the day I finish my course though. Don't really want to start taking pics cause then my OCD kicks in and I obsessively start taking pics from every lighting possible & criticizing myself lol

Its weird, I know

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 11/02/2016 10:29 am

Week 7 - 20mg/day

Day 51-Face is looking good. I'm a bit more red now though, but I am aware that redness on the face is a common side effect of accutane. Still have clogged pores on my face, but they're going away slowly but surely. As for inflamed lesions, I haven't gotten any serious ones. If I get any pimples now, its usually the kind that is an inflamed clogged pore, which I just extract, leaving almost no mark. Pimples rarely happen now though, and the clogged pores on my face are minor.

Another side effect: Bloody boogers... Been getting these for about a week now, they're annoying.

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 11/08/2016 9:47 pm

Week 8 - 20mg/day

Day 57 - Everything is going good. My face is clear for the most part. I still have red marks but I know they'll fade. I'm starting to get itchy eczema spots on my arms (right side) and sometimes around my face. They come and go and are no problem to me.

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 11/19/2016 7:16 am

Week 10 - 20mg/day

So last friday my dermatologist kept me on 20mg/day for the next month. I was a bit frustrated but nothing I can do. She says if my glucose levels are normal this month ill be put on 30mg/day. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get my glucose checked last month hence me being kept @ 20mg/day

Day 68 - Haven't updated in a while because I don't get much pimples anymore. My skin is pretty much clear right now, although I do have some clogged pores (like 2 or 3) that need to come out. I honestly dont think about it that much anymore and the progress has diminished since I'm still on the same dose.