Notifications
Clear all

Skin gets oily again while on birth control pills

MemberMember
(@jennifer-cheung)

Posted : 09/09/2016 9:05 pm

Hey guys, so I find it strange that the oil production of my face seems to be constantly changing even when I've been on the same birth control pills for the past 6-7 months.

Two months in I had experienced a short period (about one week) of having literally ZERO oil production and my skin was drying like crazy.

Steadily the oil came back to a normal level but I no longer considered myself having oily skin. This state lasted for quite a long while.

The funny thing is that during that long while when my skin was not oily at all, I however experienced lots of discomfort such as fatigue, insomnia and low libido etc... Also, most importantly, I had been breaking out in cystic acne continuously.

Recently I've made some lifestyle changes: I've been sleeping better, eating better and also taking some herbal supplements prescribed by my naturopath. I've also been taking some maca powder which does seem to make me more energetic. However, despite these positive lifestyle changes, my skin has gotten a lot more oily than before. It's not as serious as before I went on the pills (I got extremely oily skin when I first got off the pills so I got back on it) but still it's reached an annoying level of oiliness. The good news is that my breakout seems to have improved and I haven't gotten any painful cystic acne in a week or so.

I wonder why my oil production has been so unstable even though I've been taking birth control pills all along. Does it have something to do with my lifestyle changes? Or is it a sign of my body improving and therefore trying to work against the synthetic hormones?

It is always dry skin with more breakout or oily skin with less breakout.

MemberMember
(@katsc)

Posted : 09/26/2016 1:19 am

Hi, Jennifer! I'm sorry you are facing some problems with oil production, but I think it's a natural process of your skin. How old are you? Younger than 25, I guess? So, I think it's pretty normal to have some ups and downs even if you're taking birth control pills.

One thing I really recommend is to use a topical help to control the oil production. I've been using Retin A (0.05) for about 6 months with amazing improvements now. Not only the oil is in control, but my skin texture feels great.