Notifications
Clear all

Fear of others noticing indentations/scars

MemberMember
(@grooving-till-old-till-dust)

Posted : 09/07/2016 9:02 am

I walk around and have this great fear of others noticing my bad skin. In my imagination I see myself as looking so gross and it breaks me down mentally. What can help me get over this? I just want to be over worrying about my skin. I just want to be more accepting of its condition I guess. I just don't know how. Any ideas that might help would be nice.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 09/07/2016 9:18 am

Moved to the proper section!

Totally normal bro, but you really have to stop caring about how other people view you. Chances are, you notice it wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than anyone ever will (unless they have acne and are conscious about it too).

Do you still have acne or just scars?

MemberMember
(@ironmotivation)

Posted : 09/07/2016 9:59 am

Hmm try imagining those people being blind, or try to see yourself as being badass with those scars, "every scar has their own story" acne has made you into a stronger person, and those other people are jealous that you're more mature.

MemberMember

Posted : 09/07/2016 12:09 pm

7 hours ago, Tretinoin said:

Moved to the proper section!

Totally normal bro, but you really have to stop caring about how other people view you. Chances are, you notice it wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than anyone ever will (unless they have acne and are conscious about it too).

Do you still have acne or just scars?

Yeah I think your right about me noticing or caring more than others. I already had some scarring to begin with, then I had a breakout midway through summer and I'm just now starting to recover and improve. Thanks for your help, it's appreciated.

7 hours ago, IronMotivation said:

Hmm try imagining those people being blind, or try to see yourself as being badass with those scars, "every scar has their own story" acne has made you into a stronger person, and those other people are jealous that you're more mature.

I like that idea of imagining them blind, that's good. I don't know if it's made me stronger but it sure has made me insecure about my appearance. Thanks for your help dude, it helped.

MemberMember

Posted : 09/07/2016 12:38 pm

Its easy for me to think about how I should act, but when I'm in a moment that I think the lighting is unfavorable I break down. In that moment I don't know how to let it go and be ok with reality which is that my skin looks like shit. I guess Tretinoin is right when he said Im caring too much about what othersthink of me. I don't know how iv let this issue take away all of my self worth. It's tragic for me.

MemberMember

Posted : 09/07/2016 5:11 pm

I might be doomed

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 09/07/2016 9:37 pm

9 hours ago, acne scar obsession said:

Its easy for me to think about how I should act, but when I'm in a moment that I think the lighting is unfavorable I break down. In that moment I don't know how to let it go and be ok with reality which is that my skin looks like shit. I guess Tretinoin is right when he said Im caring too much about what others think of me. I don't know how iv let this issue take away all of my self worth. It's tragic for me.

Happens bro, thats what acne/scars does to you. One moment you're like "man its not so bad, people don't even notice", next thing you're looking at someone with clear skin and like "damn my skin is so flawed". Just remember, we're guys. Society doesn't pressure us into unrealistic standards of having flawless skin. It may sound mean, but scars are more acceptable on men than women.

Look at Brad Pitt, Chris Pine, & Dane Cook. All famous celebrities with scarring.

Again I totally understand, acne/scars mess with your head so much. I've got some scarring myself, and although at times I think its bad, I realize that no one really notices or cares about it. Plus, girls don't seem to mind either :P Its 95% in your head bro. Oh and heres a pic of my scars in extremely harsh lighting, if you're wondering:
http://imgur.com/a/J4ULx

excuse the flakey skin, tretinoin tends to do that 

MemberMember
(@psychokitty)

Posted : 09/08/2016 12:11 pm

A couple of years ago I was the same way. I started taking natural supplements for anxiety and the last year I have felt much less fear and stress about my skin. I take L-Tyrosine and 5-HTP in the morning, GABBA and Melatonin at night. I think the L-Tyrosine and 5-HTP are what are really helping. I have indentation scars too and know it's normal to be bummed out about them because I've had them for 15+ years, but all of a sudden about 4 years ago I started obsessing about them and got level 10 depressed about it. I think then it has a lot to do with a chemical imbalance and these supplements really help. I still cover them up with a silicone makeup primer, which is clear but just levels out your skin a bit. But I'm not looking in the mirror every 10 minutes and hating myself for it.
I hope you can find relief somehow because I know how awful it feels to be consumed by fear. If I could afford it I really love to go to a therapist. Maybe someday...

MemberMember
(@scar_tissue)

Posted : 09/13/2016 1:43 am

I've always been self-conscious about my acne scars, apparently my friends don't even see them when they look at me unless I bring it up and point it out. Nobody treats or looks at me in a way that makes me feel like I have them so sometimes I forget! Unless you're a model, the most critical person of your skin will be yourself.

Tretinoin liked