Notifications
Clear all

Need a good primer; recommendations

MemberMember
(@banban)

Posted : 08/10/2016 1:17 pm

Hi there looking for a primer that wont break me out. Avoiding all those pore minimising primers cause they break me out like crazyyy. I tried that loreal blurring one and peter thomas roth mattifying one and I could literally feel the pimple being made. I went to a wedding and half way through my face itched and lo and behold there was a massive pimple. 

Now im scared of those primers :(

TheBean liked
MemberMember
(@oldbooksandcats)

Posted : 08/25/2016 2:02 pm

Hi,

Have you considered using just moisturizer instead of primer? Having super duper moisturized skin will make that makeup application smooth-- I've heard some makeup artists say that they don't use primers at all, just moisturizer.

If you want to use a primer, I personally use the NYX Hydra Touch primer, it hasn't caused any breakouts for me. It does not claim to minimize pores.

MemberMember
(@keykei)

Posted : 09/05/2016 9:12 am

I like Sephora perfecting ulta smoothing primer Dermatologist tested and non-comedogenic which mean it doesn't clog pores :) 

MemberMember
(@mcpeekj)

Posted : 09/27/2016 3:56 pm

I use either Neutragena Healthy Skin Primer or Clinique Green Tinted Primer.

MemberMember
(@alyleiii)

Posted : 11/07/2016 3:07 pm

Been patch testing Lorac's silicone-free primer for 4 days, no breakouts. That's a good streak for me! It's very light and gel-like without being creamy or heavy. I think primer is good since it prevents the makeup from directly sinking into your pores. It's supposed to be a gentle barrier, if it works properly.

MemberMember
(@thebean)

Posted : 11/16/2016 6:12 pm

That PTR mattifying stuff...the first 6 ingredients are silicones. The last silicone primer I tried did the same thing. Now, I'm trying to avoid the silicone. They say silicones aren't comedogenic...I'm calling "BS" on that one. Essentially, primer is just foundation without the tint. You're probably better off to just skip it. I think it's just a bunch of marketing mumbo-jumbo anyway. I'm tempted to try the silicone-free like cloudydreamer, or maybe the priming/setting sprays and then call it a day.