Notifications
Clear all

Booze and bad judgement

MemberMember
(@skindeeply)

Posted : 07/25/2016 10:21 pm

Does anyone else find that when they drink it leads them to backtrack on their diet and set back their progress? It's just the worst when you've been a saint for months and then one night of drinking screws up everything. Has anyone found ways to maintain discipline in their diet after a night of drinking? I find particularly that the day after I crave nothing but junk.

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 07/26/2016 7:57 am

Yup, I'ts totally normal and almost everyone does it haha!

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that.  When I drink I always end up eating unhealthy stuff and when I'm hungover I stuff my face all day. If you're normally good about eating healthy, there's nothing wrong with letting loose once in awhile and letting yourself splurge. A day or two isn't going to demolish all the progress that you've made. If anything, it's unhealthy to be TOO rigid with your diet to the point that you become stressed out about steering off the path a few times now and then. You shouldn't feel guilty about it or feel like you are "un-disciplined" for doing so! :) 

MemberMember
(@skindeeply)

Posted : 07/26/2016 10:13 am

Ugh. I agree. But I just hate the fact that I have to lose a whole week or more diet-detoxing and clearing/healing my skin afterwards. It's especially the worst if that night of drinking coincides with the 7-10 days before my period when my food inhibitions are already out the window.

Just wondering if anyone has maybe discovered any eating or supplement tips before/during/directly after drinking that helps stabilize glucose levels (I know that has a lot to do with the monster-cravings), or maybe has any other tips?

I obviously know if I just cut out drinking altogether I could eliminate the problem entirely. But that's just not gonna happen. I don't drink alone, but definitely need it in certain social situations to not be Socially Awkward Mute Girl. I've been experimenting with just about every bio-hack under the sun to mitigate the damages of alcohol over the years, but still haven't found one that eliminates the raging "EAT ALL THE THINGS!" urges the day after.

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 07/26/2016 6:26 pm

Lol I feel you. I do have a few tips that could help:

- Eat before you go out AND before you go to bed. If you can snack while your out that's even better! This will not only help the hangover but it will make it so you aren't like starving when you first wake up. It also helps keep your blood sugar more stable because you are giving your body food when it needs it rather than not eating for hours and then eating a BUNCH all at once.
- Drink water in between alcoholic drinks and before bed as well. I always feel better when I do these things because it helps me stay hydrated (good for the skin!) and I don't get sick, which makes me less likely to lay around all day eating out of boredom.
-Which brings me to my next point, regardless of how you feel the next day try your best to get up and do something - clean, run errands, go outside and get fresh air, or do whatever. Keeping busy instead of laying around will not only help you feel better, but you'll be less likely to binge because you'll be preoccupied.

Idk, hopefully that helps at least somewhat haha. That's just what I like to do when I go out drinking!