Notifications
Clear all

My Accutane Journey in College- Low dosage 10mg for Moderate Acne

MemberMember
(@serene3)

Posted : 07/21/2016 10:32 am

Hey everyone!!
I've had moderate acne for the past 4 years and after endless medications and prescriptions I have built up the courage to go on Accutane! I've read so so many threads and logs and so many people have had great results! For the past 3 months this summer my acne took a turn for the worst after I got bronchitis and had to take a lot of medication (i thought antibiotics would help me??). Anyway, I've been even more depressed than usual and I barely leave the house so I don't pigment my scars/acne in the sun and so I don't run into people I know. I knew something was wrong when I got so self conscious that I couldn't even handle grocery shopping. Everyone tells me to cover it up and trust me, I do. But I hate wearing makeup because it doesn't let my skin breathe, it looks fake and it could just break me out more. I hate that I'm not happy with myself and that society pressures me to use makeup, something that should be fun but only makes me feel like I'm hiding. Also, I'm going to college now so there's no question people will see me bare faced in my dorm and I've been neglecting relationships in case they don't like what they see.
So, since my persistent moderate acne has literally rejected any response to minocycline, doxycline, tazorac, aczone, tretinoin, benzoyl peroxide, clindamicin,etc, and I've had enough with the psychological effects of one new nodule and scar appearing every day, I've decided to take Accutane.

I'm starting off with 10mg a month since my acne is moderate and not severe. Also, I want to get a feel of what my side effects are.

For those who have taken it or are on this low dosage, what was your experience? Was the low dosage successful or was it too low? What side effects did you experience in this low dosage (10-20mg)? Did anyone experience dizziness or headaches like a pseudo tumour cerebri? Or any intense side effects? Will the lower dosage have less side effects? What products do you recommend? I've heard a lot about CeraVe and Aquaphor.

I'm starting college as a freshman just when I start the treatment... Are there any college students out there that took accutane?? If yes, what was your experience? Do you have any tips for handling it in college?
Also, Iknow drinking is bad since one's liver is already dealing with the Accutane but would it be ok if I had just 2 drinks once every 2 weekends? Also, I was hoping to join a club sport but I heard joint pain was an issue for many people. Were you able to work out on Accutane and do sports?

Thank you so so much for reading :))) I will be posting on here my progress and keeping a log of any adverse side effects etc.

MemberMember
(@manu379)

Posted : 10/01/2016 1:38 pm

Hello Serene3,

Even i have started on a low dosage 10mg daily for moderate acne. Would love to hear how did it work for you and the issues you have faced. Please share the experience. Will be posting mine. I am currently on day 8 and i feel i am breaking out more than normal. I have also read that this is completely normal and hence was expecting it anyway. As far as side effects are concerned, I am experiencing a little bit of peeling around my mouth and eyes which i guess is due to dryness and hence i am applying lotion religiously to counter this. So far just okay although im worried for breaking out more as i can see new ones on their way on my cheeks just ready to attack on me :( . I am desperately waiting to see some results and would love to know when did you start seeing results on this low dosage.

:):)