Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi there,

I would like to get opinions on what people feel the best antibiotic for acne is.

I am looking to take something short-term just to control possible side effects during the first couple months while I adjust to my new birth control, Yasmin.

I had bad cystic acne on OTC-Lo and switched to Yasmin 6 days ago.

I am currently taking an additional 25 mg. of Spironolactone as well, and... hoping and praying smile.gif

Thanks for your thoughts!

I have had the best success with Minocycline, but you're right to just rely on it short term.Antibiotics lose their punch on the long haul. Good luck with the BC.

I've only been on one antibiotic and that was Adoxa (doxycycline). I'm taking it now. Seems to work. I haven't had one breakout that I can think of. Still recovering from previous breakouts though.

--Sarah

I've been taking doxycycline (100mg) for about 3 mos. now. It took a very long time to work (about a month and a half, two mos.), but once it did, it was great. I always break out terribly around "my time of the month" so what I did this time about a week before I started was double up and take 2 caps. of doxy 12 hrs. apart. I didn't break out at all, I was amazed. It's the first time ever that I had clear skin around my period.

I've found that the tetracycline antibiotic group are the best ones to take. I tried erythromycin but that wasnt particularly effective

minocycline kept me clear for like 6months but then stopped workin just like every other antibiotic

please be careful with minocycline. i have horrible gray-blue hyperpigmentation that settled into old scars from extended use. one of the rarer cases in which mine are still there after a couple years, and worse than the scars themselves. it stopped being effective anyway. not worth it for a second.

I'm not a big fan of prescription antibiotics. I think they are really over prescribed by Derms.

Guest anonymous
Hi there,

I would like to get opinions on what people feel the best antibiotic for acne is.

I am looking to take something short-term just to control possible side effects during the first couple months while I adjust to my new birth control, Yasmin.

I am currently taking an additional 25 mg. of Spironolactone as well, and... hoping and praying smile.gif

Take Minocin.

Between Minocin and tetracycline. Minocin is more potent. As in you can take 100mg of Minocin where you would have to take 200 mg if you were on tetracycline.

(or something like that)

hey [censored name] I would like to hear what u r doing about ur long term use of antibiotics I also took them for about 5-6 years and have problems from that

anyways I think antibiotics are bad and I refuse to take them now even if I am really sick they do help but only for a short period of time and then if u take them for too long like myself you will end up with way more acne and problems then u started out with!

Hi there,

tetracycline is working pretty good..............iv'e never hear of this amoxicillin??? does anyone else knoe anything?.

I agree with Ben. I always had the best luck with minocyclin until I became immune to it. In combination with OTC (not lo - - so was it high? rolleyes.gif ) and Glycol Pads, my skin stayed clear during my early twenties. However, now I am on Accutane (alas!).

I also switched to Yasim about a month ago and am now going into month two. Thus far, I haven't noticed any results but from what I gather, it should take another two months before that happens.

Good luck with everything!

This thread is almost a month old.. but for the sake of future visitors who might think to use the SEARCH feature.

It seems like people are divided about antibiotics. Trying them for yourself for a little while might be the best way to find out.

I'm taking tetracycline (generic sumycin). My acne gets WORSE if I stop taking it. It really helps prevent new breakouts. The only side effects I've experienced is slight dry mouth and occasional nasea (if I take on an empty stomach).

I read somewhere that some antibiotics can decrease the effectiveness of birth control sometimes (or is it the other way around...). Check into interactions and mention it to your dr.

A doxycycline or minocycline. Try not to take bactrim. It is dangerous due to many people being allergic.

But if you happen to not be allergic it's very good.