Notifications
Clear all

Initial breakout with Spironolactone?

MemberMember
(@destinyreanne)

Posted : 04/18/2016 1:54 pm

I just started spiro yesterday and by the evening I had three different breakouts. Nothing too serious just small whiteheads. I'm just wondering how many of you that took spiro experienced an initial breakout and how long did it last? Anycomments and advice is appreciated.

MemberMember
(@sendmeangels)

Posted : 04/18/2016 9:55 pm

I never got one. The only hormonal treatment that made me break out was the Nuvaring. That breakout you had yesterday wouldn't be from Spironolactone. It takes more than a few hours for a medication like that to start having an impact (of any kind) on your skin. Hopefully you won't have an IB, and it'll all get better from now on.

MemberMember
(@carpemomentum)

Posted : 04/22/2016 8:47 am

On 4/18/2016 at 2:54 PM, destinyreanne said:

I just started spiro yesterday and by the evening I had three different breakouts. Nothing too serious just small whiteheads. I'm just wondering how many of you that took spiro experienced an initial breakout and how long did it last? Anycomments and advice is appreciated.

Yes, I did breakout for quite some time initially taking Spiro. I asked my doctor to put me on Doxy to control the inflammed I don't want to frighten you, but with hormonal treatments they can last 3-4 months. It did with me both when starting Yasmin/Yaz as well as Spiro. I have been on it for 2+ years and am now on 125mg with no BCP.

DeLovely liked
MemberMember
(@destinyreanne)

Posted : 04/26/2016 9:21 pm

On 4/22/2016 at 6:47 AM, CarpeMomentum said:
On 4/18/2016 at 11:54 AM, destinyreanne said:

Yes, I did breakout for quite some time initially taking Spiro. I asked my doctor to put me on Doxy to control the inflammed I don't want to frighten you, but with hormonal treatments they can last 3-4 months. It did with me both when starting Yasmin/Yaz as well as Spiro. I have been on it for 2+ years and am now on 125mg with no BCP.

That is interesting it took so long for your skin to acclimate. I am now on day 10 and have not had any new breakouts in four days and my skin looks the best it has in months. I am trying not to get my hopes up too soon though.

MemberMember
(@likelytempo)

Posted : 04/27/2016 9:53 am

I was on a low dose of minocyclin when I started spiro and later bumped up in dosage. I did not have a breakout...and I do not think it was Because of the mino.

9 days ago I increased my dosage from 75 mg to 100mg and I feel as though things have improved. I'm not on any antibiotic this time. I'm praying things continue this way.

I think everyone has their own experience and as much as I read about what others have experienced to prepare myself, I need to just pray and trust that this is within God's hands. Worrying about it all never helps and just steals my joy. I don't mean to sound preachy...writing this more for myself today than anyone else. I have allowed my skin to take over so much of me and i want to stop that cycle.

I wish you the best.

MemberMember
(@alphaelena12)

Posted : 04/29/2016 4:09 pm

Within a day of taking it, I hade huge cysts and about a week into it, my face was the worst it had ever been :( I decided I couldn't handle it so I went off of it.