Adult acne, what to...

Notifications
Clear all

Adult acne, what to do now?

MemberMember
(@livelion)

Posted : 11/26/2015 9:36 am

Hello!

I've never posted on here before, although I have visited the site lots in the past:) I don't know if I'll get any replies, but it's worth a try!

So I've had adult acne for nearly 8 years(it started when I was 20,I'm almost 28 now!) I've been on dianette 3 seperate times, with about a break of a year in between. I've been on dianette now for almost 4 years consistently, although it keeps most of my cystic/nodular acne at bay, it hasn't completely cleared my skin, I still have 30- 50 clogged pores/spots at ALL TIMES. I've tried variouse oral/topical antibiotics, which lessen my acne for about two months but then completely stop working.I've also tried topical retinoids such as isotrex gel, I've come to the conclusion that topicals are of little to no help for me personally. I recently paid to see a private dermatologist, he refused to give me Accutane, and just fobbed me off with adapalene, and told me to switch from dianette to yasmin. I guess I'm just posting this as I'm so frustrated and tired of acne, and just want to know if anyone else has had experience with dianette and yasmin? Which one was better for you? Should I switch? Also do you think it's worth me paying to go and see another dermatologist? I really feel that Accutane is what I need!! Can anyone recommend a dermatologist? Thank you if you have read my rambling post!:)

MemberMember
(@amy_27)

Posted : 11/27/2015 9:08 am

hi LiveLion

i also suffered with acne since i was a teen and into my adult years. i first went onto oratane (the generic of accutane)when i was 20 which made my face look like it got worse but then towards the end of the six month treatment my acne got cleared... however 3 years later, i had a flare-up. it didnt look like the full blown acne i had up until 20, but my dermatologist put me on roaccutane. it did clear up my acne again however i now have to deal with my extensive scarring. i understand why the dermatologist does not want to put you on roaccutane as it does have bad side effects, depression got me the worst from all. the drying up of my skin and lips etc i could handle. but i too tried many other treatments in my teen years which really did not help. if you are willing to go through the side effects then roaccutane may actually help you.

i was on yasmin, it seemed to work for my skin but a few months down the line it also gave me side effects, it made me suffer from a little depression too (not entirely sure if it was the yasmin). ive never been on dianette,but please do all the research you can on both dianette and yasmin and then decide. you should rather go for the milder one. different birth control pillshas different effects on different people. and if you do feel any side effects speak to either your dermatologist or gynae and find the pill that works for you. i wish i could prescribe a dermatologist to you but im from South Africa

MemberMember
(@kelly-jones)

Posted : 12/17/2015 8:13 am

IT IS THE WATER!!!! Weacne prone ppl are allergic to chemicals. STOP using them!!

Our skin and hair can't handle Free Chlorine (Cl-), Combined Chlorine (Sodium Hypochlorite), Hydrogen Sulfide (rotten egg smell) andIron Oxide (rust water)

Get a filtered shower head!!!! You will be amazed how your water is damaging your skin and hair. A filter will filter chemicals making your hard water softer. Trust me, I have tried everything before I started washing my body with only filtered water. Wash your face with combinations of honey, lemon, and coconut oil and sugar for exfoliation. Thayers Witch Hazel (No Alcohol) as toner. Use aloe Vera gel as moisturizer. Tea tree oil is great too. Stick to natural products as listed above.

Don't use lofas and do use wash cloths but oxiclean them when washing, do not bleach them

Birth Control is a Big No as is Man-Made antibiotics. Opt for natural antibiotics such as garlic and orgeano

If for some reason the moon turns purple and this does not work, get tested for food allergies ex dairy or gluten and Do educate yourself on GMO's

You all are Beautiful Best Of Luck!!

MemberMember
(@collette99)

Posted : 01/01/2016 12:29 am

I wouldn't write off adapalene just yet.. it may do the trick. I know it is working for me, but everyone is different. I have adult cystic acne that swells my whole chin. It can get so bad that I cannot open my mouth. I have also accidentally popped a cyst by opening my mouth. That's some ugly stuff. But I've been doing a super gentle routine consistently for 6 weeks, plus birth control for 4 months, and adapalene. Things are looking up!

MemberMember
(@lilbert-2)

Posted : 06/02/2016 2:33 am

After struggling for years with cystic acne on cheeks and chin, what has worked wonders is Apple cider vinegar toner, coconut oil moisturizer and a benzoperoxide cleanser. If your skin hasn't responded to the harsh chemicals or birth control, give this a shot. With in three days I noticed a huge difference and not more then a month later my skin looks the best it ever has!

my regimen:
Morning= wipe face with warm water then apply coconut oil or if I feel like I'm breaking out a benzoperoxide face cleanser followed by coconut oil.
Evening= benzoperoxide cleanser then I apply diluted ACV. When that dries I apply coconut oil. If I have a pimple or feel a break out I will do a 5 min sulfur facemask after I wash my face or put a 5% sulfur cream as spot treatment after I use the coconut oil.