Notifications
Clear all

Sudden Hormal Breakout?

MemberMember
(@omegaamber)

Posted : 11/19/2015 2:32 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is amber and I am 20 years old. I actually never had acne growing up, it was not until these last three months that my face has suddenly flared up with cycts and pustles accompanied by dark black hairs on my chin and a weight gain of 15 pounds. It's been completely debilitating for me. This past semester of school, i've spent significantly more time on my phone or laptop trying to find remedies rather than studying. I've always lived a healthy life style as well;I exercise daily, don't eat any dairy, drink 4-5 liters of water daily,have fruits and salads everyday and i've always washed my face twice a day followed by moisturizer. It's been so aggravating to see all of my friends flawless faces because they do not follow my regimine what so ever, actually most of them don't even wash their face at all. I wake up every morning and cry the moment i have to look into a mirror.

Three weeks ago I told myself I had had enough, I made an appointment with my gyno and promptly made an appointment. However, I knew i could not possibly wait to find treatment so that same day i visited my on campus nurse practitioner and she prescribed me differin and doxycyline. So far the treatment has had me purging since about day 10. A lot pimples that faded to red marks keep reappearing over and over again. I know the purge is supposed to last a while. I have also been on the birth control orsythia for 2 years now.Sorry this was so lengthy, I needed to get it off my chest! Any advice for dealing with the emotional toll would be very appreciated.

MemberMember
(@user465288)

Posted : 11/20/2015 4:34 pm

On 19/11/2015 20.32.18, OmegaAmber said:

Hello everyone,

My name is amber and I am 20 years old. I actually never had acne growing up, it was not until these last three months that my face has suddenly flared up with cycts and pustles accompanied by dark black hairs on my chin and a weight gain of 15 pounds. It's been completely debilitating for me. This past semester of school, i've spent significantly more time on my phone or laptop trying to find remedies rather than studying. I've always lived a healthy life style as well;I exercise daily, don't eat any dairy, drink 4-5 liters of water daily,have fruits and salads everyday and i've always washed my face twice a day followed by moisturizer. It's been so aggravating to see all of my friends flawless faces because they do not follow my regimine what so ever, actually most of them don't even wash their face at all. I wake up every morning and cry the moment i have to look into a mirror.

Three weeks ago I told myself I had had enough, I made an appointment with my gyno and promptly made an appointment. However, I knew i could not possibly wait to find treatment so that same day i visited my on campus nurse practitioner and she prescribed me differin and doxycyline. So far the treatment has had me purging since about day 10. A lot pimples that faded to red marks keep reappearing over and over again. I know the purge is supposed to last a while. I have also been on the birth control orsythia for 2 years now.Sorry this was so lengthy, I needed to get it off my chest! Any advice for dealing with the emotional toll would be very appreciated.

What made you gain 15 pounds? Acne and facial hair grow may be a sign of PCOS.

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 11/21/2015 8:28 pm

On 21/11/2015, 0749, Esney3 said:

What made you gain 15 pounds? Acne and facial hair grow may be a sign of PCOS.

On 20/11/2015, 0518, OmegaAmber said:

Hello everyone,

Yes it does sound like pcos or too many male hormones. Hopefully the dr you are seeing will investigate for that. I wonder if the birth control pill you've been on has somehow disrupted your hormones since you say you never had acne before??? I don't really know much about the different kinds but they all mess with your hormones.

Dealing with the emotional and pyschological impact of acne is very difficult. You have every right to be upset, having acne is awful. Since your acne and the other symptoms came on so suddenly there must be some obvious cause for it so don't give up. Hopefully your dr will have some suggestion - i would be suspicious of that birth control pill though.

MemberMember
(@omegaamber)

Posted : 11/25/2015 10:11 am

I had blood work done over a week ago and now i'm just waiting on the results. I was thinking PCOS as well, but the doctor thinks i'm too thin to have it. She also said she's considering switching my birth control. Thank you for your input guys! I appreciate it