Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I am a 24 year old female that has struggled with acne since middle school.  My acne is not terrible and tends to seem a little hormonal.  My dermatologist suggested accutane as our last resort to keep my skin clear.  I have tried numerous topicals and oral antibiotics with no real results. 

I read a lot of blogs prior to starting accutane and hopefully have stocked up on all of the essential items:

Cerave Moisturizing Facial Lotion PM
Cerave Moisturizing Cream
Systane rewetting drops
Bag balm
Cerave face wash
Lots of hand creams and various chapsticks - my derm recommended aquaphor and aveeno but I have not purchased either yet.

My dose for the first month is 30 mg once daily and I am taking it in the evening with dinner.

Day 1 - Took my first dose last night.. I wouldn't expect to see any side effects this early and my derm told me not to expect any crazy side effects the first month but did say I will likely get chapped lips.  Anyways -  I woke up this morning with a new whitehead on my cheek and my lip was peeling but I think that is from the cold I have.

you too!

Day 13 -  So I haven't really decided how much I will be updating but have very little to report up to this point.  Immediately following my first dose, I'd say on day 2 or 3 I experienced extreme thirst.  I never drink water.. and by never I mean never... I started drinking about 80 oz a day on day 2 or 3 and that last about 3 days.  I am not back to drinking small amounts of water and don't experience the extreme thirst.  I have been using lotion every night but have not experienced any unusual dryness to my skin.  I have also been using bag balm on my lips at night and regular chapstick during the day and my lips have not been chapped.  I think I am starting to get the purge or initial breakout.  I woke up yesterday with 4 new spots (2 on chin and 2 on body).  

I have had a few drinks since being on accutane..1 with dinner.. 1.5 with dinner.. I didn't notice any issues. and yes I know it is hard on my liver.

Edited by hdm55

So I have been on absorbica for over a month now with no real side effects.  I had mild eczema on both hands after working (nurse) but it cleared up with no treatment.  

I have been using cerave moisturizing cream every night and regular chapstick during the day.  I have noticed that my hair does not need to be washed as frequently and that my skin feels kinda tacky but I haven't had any dry spots or flakiness.  

I had my check up yesterday and I am being moved to 60 mg/day and my labs were good.. so yay. 

I plan to begin using cerave moisturizing lotion in the mornings and the cream at night.  I will also be using bag balm on my lips at night.