Notifications
Clear all

Can you have BDD if you have bad acne/scarring?

MemberMember
(@azstl25)

Posted : 10/25/2015 6:54 pm

I've heard a lot about people having BDD or Body Dysmorphic Disorder. They believe they are ugly when they really aren't. They will obsess over their appearance and constantly look at themselves in the mirror or take pics of themselves and obsess over perceived flaws. I do this as well but this is because of my bad acne and scarring which is a legitimate flaw in someone's appearance. I guess what I'm asking is can you have BDD if you're legit ugly if you obsess about it enough?

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 10/25/2015 7:12 pm

I've heard a lot about people having BDD or Body Dysmorphic Disorder. They believe they are ugly when they really aren't. They will obsess over their appearance and constantly look at themselves in the mirror or take pics of themselves and obsess over perceived flaws. I do this as well but this is because of my bad acne and scarring which is a legitimate flaw in someone's appearance. I guess what I'm asking is can you have BDD if you're legit ugly if you obsess about it enough?

I am sorry, but ugliness does objectively not exist and neither does beauty by the way. It's all in our heads. That is why the beauty standards change all the time.

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 10/26/2015 6:30 am

BDD can effect you, even if you do have body-problems. BDD is when you obsess over the problems you have, for no real gain. People with acne have BDD if they obsess over it and let it effect their lives.

It's hard to get over, and I too suffer from it, but it will get easier. Yes, we may still have acne, but we will be able to cope with it better and not obsess over our flaws.

one thing that helps me is to find one thing that's positive.. For me, it's my eyebrows! If I see a particularly bad photo of me, or I look in the mirror and hate what I see, I try to focus on my eyebrows because I like them! Haha 🙂

MemberMember
(@azstl25)

Posted : 10/27/2015 11:34 pm

No:

"BDD is a body-image disorder characterized by persistent and intrusive preoccupations with an imagined or slight defect in one's appearance.

People with BDD can dislike any part of their body, although they often find fault with their hair, skin, nose, chest, or stomach. In reality, a perceived defect may be only a slight imperfection or nonexistent. But for someone with BDD, the flaw is significant and prominent, often causing severe emotional distress and difficulties in daily functioning."

- Adaa.org

Severe acne is not imagined, a slight defect, nonexistent, etc. So it's not BDD.

legit