Should I stop using...

Notifications
Clear all

Should I stop using the regimen?

MemberMember
(@05parsonsala)

Posted : 10/08/2015 6:43 am

So I have been using the regimen for about 2.5 years now, and have seen some moderate improvement in my acne. I've switched between using it twice a day (as recommended) and only using it in the evening (which I am currently doing) but did not really see much difference between these 2 methods.

However, what I have noticed is that the acne which I used to have on my chest and back has almost completely cleared up by itself, without the use of the regimen or any other products in fact. Despite the continued use of the regimen on my face, I still have persistent acne and new spots, almost daily. So I have kind of hit a bit of a brick wall with my acne and am looking for some advice for what I should do next.

The way I see it, there are 2 possible options. I can either go back to the twice a day application of the regimen and keep strictly to that. Or I could stop using the regimen entirely, probably with a ramp down of usage of a week or so. There have been 2 short periods where I cut out the regimen entirely, thinking it was having no effect on my acne, both for about 1-2 weeks and both times I had bad breakouts once I stopped the regimen. This lead me to believe that the regimen was having an impact on my acne, so I returned to following it.

So yeah, currently at a bit of a fork in my acne road, and any advice on what to do next would be extremely helpful!

Just a little background on myself and lifestyle if it is of any help...
Regimen products
Cleaner: Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser.
Benzoyl Peroxide: Acne.org regimen BP 2.5%.
Moisturiser: Aveeno Daily Moisturising Lotion

Am 21 years old, had acne since about 16, would describe as moderate currently, at it's best (July/August this year for example) was mild.
Acne is at it's worst on my chin, above my lips and on my cheeks. No longer break out at all on my forehead or nose, very rarely along the upper jawline.
I exercise daily, switching between cardio (mostly running) and weight training every other day.
Diet's not perfect but I'd definitely consider it on the good side, I cook my own meals and my diet is consistent. I have recently started trying to reduce my dairy intake, and not had any results as of yet, though it's probably too early to tell. Plus I still am having milk with cereal each morning and other minor amounts of dairy in some meals.
I drink pretty much exclusively Robinson's squash (essentially flavoured water). Obviously it would be better if I drank just water instead, but I dislike the taste of water on its own.
I shower daily (shampoo/conditioner every other day) and change pillowcase every other night.
I try and avoid touching my face and rarely do nowadays (I used to a lot though)
Am definitely on the skinny side 5ft10 (1.77m) and 130lbs (59kg) and have been trying to gain weight for the last year with a little success (gained around 10lb). Been drinking 2 whey protein shakes (with fine ground oats for extra kcal) each day, which again adds to my dairy intake - I plan to switch to soy protein once my current bag runs out.

MemberMember
(@brandolynn)

Posted : 10/08/2015 6:11 pm

Acne can be very persistent. It is very frustrating. But ultimately this decision is up to you. You can try to get off The Regimen and see how your face does, but the fact that you are still getting breakouts while on it (although only once daily) tells me that your face is still acne prone. If you want to get the acne under control, the Regimen works best when done very strictly twice per day, every single day.

Also, keep in mind that for some people protein shakes may cause issues. http://www.acne.org/regimen-help.html#liftingweights