Women Still Sufferi...

Notifications
Clear all

Women Still Suffering From Acne After 30

MemberMember
(@ae1976)

Posted : 09/03/2015 12:58 am

I am a 39 year old woman who suffered from acne for 25 years. Been through the frustrations and annoyance that comes with having acne that just won't quit. Just wanted to offer a sympathetic ear to other women suffering from the same problem. Just want to know what all you have tried and what worked and what didn't.

MemberMember
(@fleetinput)

Posted : 09/03/2015 5:50 am

I post here a link of my experience, hope it helps:

MemberMember
(@2bmybl2015)

Posted : 09/04/2015 3:20 pm

I'm a 40 year old woman and I too suffer from acne for the last 5 years. I've tried everything from over the counter, antibiotics, spiro to a chemical peel. I'm currently on day 10 of Accutane/Claravis. I'm planning on this being a new start for my skin. I'm so dry and broken out right now but everyone says that's the medicine working. I'm trying to be patient but it's so hard. I just want to remember what it's like to have healthy skin again. Every derm, friend and co-worker that has been on Accutane swears by it. So I try to remind myself that I will good result too. How could I be the only one that doesn't improve? That's ridiculous. Good luck to you.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 09/15/2015 7:50 am

I am 32 and have used most topical prescriptions, doxy and mino as well as bc and accutane many times. Still have moderate acne. I've tried diet changes too. Next step will be spiro. You are not alone.

Ae1976 liked
MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 09/20/2015 4:20 pm

Oldie here

Struggling since about 38

Tried antibiotics and every rx and OTC product u can name

I was on a 6mnth course of tane and am 4 mnth post tane now....different set of problems now....

Kim

MemberMember
(@callendula)

Posted : 09/20/2015 7:48 pm

Hi! I'm 37 and have dealt with this problem at varying degrees of intensity since I had my son..15 years ago! It has been a LONG battle. I kept waiting to *outgrow* the condition to no avail. Over the years I tried lots of stuff with varying degrees of effectiveness. I never used any prescriptions just home remedies and/or OTC. Usually, the products would work for a while and then stop. Proactiv worked a while, skintactix was really good for a while. Red jar Stridex worked extremely well and I coupled that with a very aggressive regiment of 10%AHA and neutrogena retinol. My skin looked the best it ever had. Then I moved to skinceuticals retinol and over teh winter it dried my face out so bad that i ended up with huge cystic breakouts the next year. I have done a lot of research over the last few years trying to figure out out my solution.

Trial and error, I have found a few points for me. I get hormonal acne (big painful spots around my lady time on my chin). But I can get them anywhere on my face. :( For an unrelated problem, I started taking 8000IU of Vit D3 a day. I believe this has helped tremendously! Before Vit D3, my cycle was extremely regular but it was the SAME day every month. Like it started on the 12th..it would be the 12th every single month (bar any stress that made me late, etc). But, say I was late one month because of heavy stress and I started the 14th..then the next month like clockwork, I'd start on the 14th again. It was great to plan around because I knew exactly when it would be. I mentioned to my doc once and she said that was "odd". Well, it has been this way since I first started in 9th grade. After taking Vit D3 regularly... the first thing I noticed was my cycle changed to a 28 day. I keep a calendar and it has been consistently 28 days now. Along with that, I do not have the premenstrual flare ups. No chin acne either which people say is hormonal. So, that is a staple for me. I think my hormones are out of balance because Vit D3 is supposed to be a regulator. As a side note, I find that ingesting soy will cause cystic outbreaks for me though it did not before i started taking the D. Soy mimics estrogen..so my thought is maybe before I needed the extra estrogen so ingesting it did not cause an overload reaction. Now, if my levels are closer to normal, ingesting extra in the form of soy causes too much and creates the reaction. (just my thought son trying to explain the differing outcomes of my experiences)

Along with that, I have found that pH of my products is crucial. Last year I started working on repairing my skin so it can function as intended. After reading that normal skin (those unaffected by acne) heals itself and kills off acne bacteria on its own, I decided I needed to get my skin as close to normal functioning as possible. I stopped ruining my skin barrier. I use Cerave foaming cleanser which is around 5.5pH now. I used cleansers before and found they were pH8! There are other cleansers like sebamed and such that have skin identical Ph ranges. I just use Cerave because it hasn't broken me out. :)

Keeping my skin pH optimal, I can go directly to my treatments. I use Paula's Choice Clear regular strength 2% BHA 1-2x a day. Unlike so many of her other products like cleansers, her BHAs have the right pH. Once every 4 days I use the extra strength 2% BHA. More than that and it dries my skin so bad I get cysts. This has cleaned out my pores so much! I used the clear for a year and just added in the extra strength this year. I had plugs coming out and less acne.

I also use Reviva labs 10% glycolic cream. I used Paula's for a while, but Reviva has a lower pH and I feel it it is more effective.

I do use the 1% retinol from paula, though, eevry 3 days.

These are alternated. Now, I have not had any major acne for several months! And, I haven't had any flareups before my time. Though, if I get a small bump, I'm ok with it because it goes away. This is my routine for now as long as it works. I feel so much better about myself when i go out than I ever have. I still have leftover red marks and i also have a lot of sun marks, but I'll deal with those. I'm just glad this regimen is keeping me clear! I really believe once I kept the pH right, everything started working better. I use the Cerave night moisturizer, too, to help repair my skin and keep it healthy.

I have my whole process of trial and error as well as journal articles on pH effect, skin information and such on my blog:

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 09/20/2015 8:23 pm

WOW that is awesome!

Thanks so much for all this detailed info

I really believe the tane fried my skin and barrier

My skin is very red/bumpy and i still break out in random small spots that heal in 2-3 days

Its annoying because ive tracked ing and tried to repair my barrier with the right products but NOTHING seems to work for long

If i use anti acne products I dry my sin out further and that causes problems

If i papmer my skin and try to hydrate it only with approp products i break out in spots and my skin looks like an oil slick

so frustrating

Great that u found a routine that works for you!

kim

MemberMember
(@callendula)

Posted : 09/20/2015 9:04 pm

:) That is what I was doing, though I didn't know it. I have really oily skin, so I tend to use drying products. As I get older, my skin just can't keep up I guess. My skin gets dry easily in winter, though, so I can't use the same products in winter as summer. I didn't realize the unintended damage I was doing. I heard a lot of people on here rave about Paula's Choice so I tried it in desperation. I am sad that so many of her products are high pH. I have used gentle cleansers (one of my favs was Neutrogena ultra gentle) and then found out they were high pH. I would use my BHA right after and I think this is why a lot of my products did not work. It takes about 20mins to resettle your facial pH but I am too impatient to wait for my treatments!

I know what you mean about it being frustrating trying to stay in the middle of hydration--not too dry, not so emollient it clogs pores. I need one with a sunscreen for daytime. I'm always scared to try anything new because it may break me out. Oh and cerave has a hydrating cleanser. I don't know how hydrating, though, since I haven't used it.

I hope you can find your perfect products!!!!! By the way, your photo is gorgeous!!

MemberMember
(@kimber607)

Posted : 09/21/2015 6:13 pm

all this talk of PH?

How can u find what PH a cleanser/products is?

thanks much kim

MemberMember
(@stillacne)

Posted : 10/01/2015 11:59 pm

Ae1976, I can understand your frustration.

I am about the same age as you. Male. Also suffered acne for about 25 years. Although not severe, I still have acne popping out every now and then. No longer a teen, it is still very frustration.

I finally started Roaccutane (super-low dosage 5mg) for the first time late February this year, and still on. My dermatologist said that I might need to be on low dosage Roaccutane for as long as it take.