Notifications
Clear all

Not Traveling, Putting Off Haircuts Avoiding Seeing Friends/people

MemberMember
(@guppy45)

Posted : 08/18/2015 6:57 am

Due to my skin issues I'm long overdue a haircut. This happens a lot.

I had also wanted to visit family in Europe but cannot. I can't even string a 3 good days together.

I haven't seen any friends in 1.5 months. I get invited to do stuff but must pass. One group of friends invites me every year to do stuff and I keep turning them down. Good way to lose friends.

I just started bike riding because it is something I can do on my own and it takes my mind off my problems for a little while.

MemberMember
(@misssac17)

Posted : 08/18/2015 7:15 am

I'm sorry to hear about your skin issues.

Thing is, as much as we feel like we just want to be alone and wallow in our skin insecurities. Deep down we don't; we want to feel loved, accepted and cherished. The people that completely and wholeheartedly treat us that way are out friends, true friends.

Please don't hide away from them, trust me skin issues are not the issues you want to lose close friendships over, I've been there. Have you thought about some kind of counselling? It might help to talk to someone and get things off your chest. It's good that you have found bike riding to keep your mind busy though, that's the key to this...don't focus on it.

MemberMember
(@guppy45)

Posted : 08/18/2015 8:13 am

Yeah I tried therapy it's fine, it is expensive and not very effective on what's considered BDD related which I'm not sure it is.

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 08/19/2015 7:31 am

I was the same.. I didn't even leave my house for five months. It's tough... But to even go out for a bike ride - well, that's much much more than I could have possibly done when I was at my worst!

What are you doing for your skin? I ended up going on accutane and, well... Waited until I looked better before I got my life back. I know that's not neccesarilly the right way to look at it, but it was all I could manage.

My biggest fear was losing my friends because I never went out -- but trust me, real friends will always be there. Now I'm out all the time and my friends don't treat me any different. They understand :)

MemberMember
(@guppy45)

Posted : 08/19/2015 8:42 am

^^Well right now I'm trying not to touch my face at all but it's not easy.

I put the benzoyl treatment on problem areas, then moisturizer on those areas.

I use both a curcumin/aloe product and AHA on red marks.

Jojoba oil around my nose and also on some large pores from damage.

I also use E.V.E. serum on two scars an esthetician gave me to try to rebuild the chunks she removed.

I have two legit friends left. One I haven't seen in years the other I probably won't see until summer is way over.

MemberMember
(@dan-crow)

Posted : 08/19/2015 6:12 pm

You could always cut your own hair maybe go for a buzz cut so you can do it yourself. Cool for the summer and you won't have to worry about the hair getting into your face. I know the feeling of not wanting to go get a hair cut where they have mirrors and you can't do anything but look at yourself for the entirety of the visit to the barbershop.

guppy45 liked
MemberMember
(@randall-flagg)

Posted : 08/19/2015 8:03 pm

I totally feel you about the haircuts. I used to absolutely dread the irritation and the image of my troubled skin in the mirror before I started the Regimen. I hope you find a treatment that works for your skin...the bike riding sounds like an awesome and cathartic way of relieving stress!

MemberMember
(@guppy45)

Posted : 08/19/2015 9:40 pm

^^Thanks guys. Good idea about the self buzz cut, I actually considered getting the Flowbee. :-) Wondering how long my hair will get.

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 08/23/2015 8:53 am

I can't stand going to the hairdressers either! Looking at myself in the mirror under those bright lights is my idea of hell. I have become very skilled at cutting my own hair :) i can relate to the social thing too. If i ever get invited to something i dont make a decision till the day of the event so i can see how bad my skin is. If i'm having a 'good' day i might go. If i'm having a bad day its a definite nooooo. I have become such a loner!

MemberMember
(@steveanhole)

Posted : 08/23/2015 2:32 pm

God reading that was like reading my own thoughts, everything apart from the meeting family part, i had/have the exact same issue with the hair cutting, i hate going to the barber and only go once every maybe 2 months and i make sure it is a really small barbers, no-one is usually there when i am which always makes it better and the friends part i understand, i havent seen my friends in 3 years, i talk through facebook etc but not been on a night out or anything with them in years because of acne, and like you i only enjoy things i can do alone now, it just feels like if i am alone theres no-one to judge me or criticise me.