Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReD

Do not make acne an excuse.

I'll make it short.

For the first 2-3 years that i had acne i was extreme self-conscious,avoiding going out when i had an especially bad breakout(which was every other day) and even affraid to start talking to girls because of what they MIGHT think of my face. I made acne my excuse for everything, cutting and failing school, losing some of my friends, not having a girlfriend...basically everything that went wrong in my life i blamed on acne. There was this one hot girl that i liked, but was too affraid to ask her out for a long time, because of fear that she will take one good look at my face and just run away. One day i woke up and realized that the best years of my life are passing me by for no reason. I had a gigantic cyst of my cheek but i didnt care, i asked that girl out. Guess what...she said yes! And on top of that she admitted that she liked me for a long time, but was too shy to say anything. Then it hit me...all those problems were not because of my acne, but because i made myself believe that it controls every aspect of my life. I did not go out, i didnt initiate conversations, when my friends called me to do something i made some lame excuses that i was busy...

My point is, do not let acne control your life and dont blame your problems on it. If you make a big deal out of it, it affects everything you do to some degree, and it can be hard to revert from that. And look people in the eyes, show that you're confident in yourself and wont let some spots on your face dictate your actions.

Time is one thing that noone, with acne or not, can get back. Make the most of yours.

I agre with you 100% but its so easier said than done. In the back of my head, I always wonder what people of my skin, its like its built in or something. It's hard too, especially when you break out, to have confidence, at least for me it is. But you only live once so you mine as well make the most of it. I have a difficult time with this though.

I agre with you 100% but its so easier said than done. In the back of my head, I always wonder what people of my skin, its like its built in or something. It's hard too, especially when you break out, to have confidence, at least for me it is. But you only live once so you mine as well make the most of it. I have a difficult time with this though.

I'll make it short.

For the first 2-3 years that i had acne i was extreme self-conscious,avoiding going out when i had an especially bad breakout(which was every other day) and even affraid to start talking to girls because of what they MIGHT think of my face. I made acne my excuse for everything, cutting and failing school, losing some of my friends, not having a girlfriend...basically everything that went wrong in my life i blamed on acne.  There was this one hot girl that i liked, but was too affraid to ask her out for a long time, because of fear that she will take one good look at my face and just run away. One day i woke up and realized that the best years of my life are passing me by for no reason. I had a gigantic cyst of my cheek but i didnt care, i asked that girl out. Guess what...she said yes! And on top of that she admitted that she liked me for a long time, but was too shy to say anything.  Then it hit me...all those problems were not because of my acne, but because i made myself believe that it controls every aspect of my life. I did not go out, i didnt initiate conversations, when my friends called me to do something i made some lame excuses that i was busy...

My point is, do not let acne control your life and dont blame your problems on it. If you make a big deal out of it, it affects everything you do to some degree, and it can be hard to revert from that.  And look people in the eyes, show that you're confident in yourself and wont let some spots on your face dictate your actions.

Time is one thing that noone, with acne or not, can get back. Make the most of yours.

I know Im late to the party, but that was an excellent read. I've realized exactly what you have mentioned and thankfully early ( Im 18 ) and not when im in my late twenties.

Thanks for reminding me of the truth.

question.gif IQs question.gif

Completly agree there mate.

Nobody should let acne control their life - you should lead exactly the same life as any other teenager - go to work, go out, enjoy the opposite sex - everything.

People will respect you much more if you do this rather than curling up into a shell.

we all know this is right .... but a lot of us cant do it anyways. like asking a girl out ..... everyone wants to, but even though its not a mental struggle of embarassment .... its still hard

i have to also agree with you. my reason for saying i agree with both is A) i cant do muhc of anyhting if i breakout and yet B) look at peple with acne. when i look at people with acne im almost drawn to them. i dont even see their acne and if they act unaffected by it ... then its like it doesnt exist almost

It's almost impossibly hard for me to go about a 'normal' life (i.e. a fulfilling social life) with bad skin.

When I look in the mirror I don't like what I see, so I can't imagine someone else liking the way I look with bad skin.

When my face is clear, I like the way I look and that makes my life so much easier, especially when approaching women. Clear skin makes me think I'm as good as anyone else on this planet, so my confidence is very high. eusa_dance.gif

A few weeks ago I stayed in at home as much as possible but since then my skin's improving massively and I'm getting restless at home and wanting to go out more.

I won't approach any women until I'm clear because I want them to see me when I'm looking my best. If I'm not at my full potential, my natural personality gets stifled.

But good for you, you're obviously a lot stronger/ less mentally scarred than I am. biggrin.gif

I feel the exact same way as you Dean. When my skin is bad, I don't feel like I'm 100%. It really sad what acne can do to people. I also dont have the level of confidence I want. Things are better for me, but still not where they need to be.