Notifications
Clear all

Which B Vitamins Can Cause Breakouts?

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 05/30/2015 5:15 pm

I am Vit. B12 deficient, and my doctor wants me to try taking a supplement before I resort to injections. But if I recall correctly, people on this forum have talked about Vit. B12 causing their acne to worsen. Is B12 the culprit, or is there another form of B vitamin that tends to worsen acne?

I feel in a bind because, on the one hand, I need more Vit. B12; on the other hand, I don't want to suffer an increased amount of nodulocystic acne from taking it. :(

Thank you,

PI

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 05/31/2015 8:59 am

biotin is the most common one.

B12 might cause some issues, so start with a low dose first.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 05/31/2015 2:54 pm

Is there such a thing as a "low-dose" vitamin? I say that half-jokingly because so many vitamins seem to come in super-amped up amounts. Still, I will try to find the lowest possible dose of a vegetarian/vegan Vit. B12 supplement.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/02/2015 5:14 am

Is there such a thing as a "low-dose" vitamin? I say that half-jokingly because so many vitamins seem to come in super-amped up amounts. Still, I will try to find the lowest possible dose of a vegetarian/vegan Vit. B12 supplement.

If it's a capsule, you can break it in half and only take half of it. If it's in liquid capsule, you can pierce it and empty out half of it.

MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 06/02/2015 10:30 am

I don't know why, but the quote function isn't working for me. (It's failed on two different computers, in fact.) Ah, well...

That's a good point about using half of a capsule dose. The search is on for a powder or liquid vegetarian/vegan Vit. B12 supplement.

MemberMember
(@sustakp)

Posted : 06/02/2015 6:31 pm

b12 breaks me out...look into histamine intolerance if b vitamins are breaking you out.

WishClean liked
MemberMember
(@prettyinside)

Posted : 06/03/2015 8:48 am

sustakp wrote: "b12 breaks me out...look into histamine intolerance if b vitamins are breaking you out." (Sorry to quote you this way, but this site isn't allow me to quote--or even copy/paste--people's posts. VERY annoying.)

I had no idea that there was a connection, but I will start researching it. Thank you!

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 06/03/2015 1:54 pm

Also, check the capsule ingredients. Many people break out due to the ingredients in the capsule (e.g gelatin), not the vitamin itself. Try to find good quality, reliable brands, and buy them either at the store (check expiration date) or trustworthy online retailers (iherb, vitamin shoppe, boots, etc - avoid amazon sellers!)

MemberMember
(@susie5371)

Posted : 06/05/2015 12:44 pm

I feel that I need to be taking a complete B-complex vitamin such as a B-50, but I have never found a brand that does not break out my skin. Anyone have a brand to suggest? Do you have to take the B vitamins separately and leave out some? If so, which B vitamins cause acne? Thank you!

MemberMember
(@fairytales)

Posted : 01/17/2017 6:39 pm

This isn't strictly true , if you are taking B12 injections for example then Biotin can actually help. Im about to start taking a higher level of biotin to see if it makes a difference, but if you are deficient then supplements like sublingual can make you worse. Doctor's dont understand B12 D and they often wait till you have neuro issues to start treating you, its pretty harsh.