Notifications
Clear all

Vitamin A - A Miracle In A Bottle, With A Sinister Side

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 02/15/2015 12:30 am

The title probably doesn't make sense, but I think it'll work. I've been on the regimen for more than a year now and using supplements for maybe half that or more now to help with acne and related issues. When I began, I quickly found out how Vitamin A had such success stories and this and that. Well they were true to an extent. Combined with other supplements, it really worked and was a huge success. Prior, I had hit a plateau and was not getting better, but then once I began with A, Zinc, and C, I was getting much better until I was clear finally. I was taking 10k IU's a day. That's okay, no big deal. Then I took 20k IU's a day which got me better but not yet clear. I read how amazing it worked, but needed to be mega dosed... at around 100,000 IU's a day. I knew it was toxic levels, but I didn't think it would be a big deal, I would do it for just a month, nothing will happen... So the next day I just crammed down a hundred f***ing thousand IU's of the stuff at once after lunch. About 20 minutes later I had the worst stomach pain, but I got over it every day for a week. I never thought I would need to get blood testing, but I also didn't think doing this was a big deal, it was. It's like walking the edge on overdosing on drugs. I never did get blood tested, but I would say after that week that my Vitamin A blood levels were hundreds of percent over the safe limit, I now know that I was basically poisoning myself and well into the deadly toxic levels. So I did this for almost an entire month and I did begin to see results, but I felt horrible and I definetly suggest not being an idiot like I was. Over the course of this month my body was screaming at me to stop and that I was slowly being poisoned, but I was an idiot and ignored it and was tunnel visioned on a baby skin clear face. It started with stomach aches and diarrhea, then horrible headaches and dizziness, I was lethargic most the time, soon I began to get blurry vision and always felt like closing my eyes because of being so tired, having headaches all the time and was getting random eye straining. My mom noticed, but I didn't tell her because "she wouldn't understand." The whole time I began to think maybe this was a bad idea, but I kept muscling through. The final straw that got me to stop was when I basically lost consciousness in class. This was probably because I had lost most my appetite, constant stomach problems and diarrhea, and of course weeks of vitamin a poisoning.

I got back on a couple months ago at 20,000 IU's and have been so every day. No problems and seeing results again. I'm not saying to be scared of Vit A or not take it, I'm saying to not do what I did and self medicate with these mega dosing trends. By all means, I suggest taking supplements to help, but do your homework, look into it and be smart. Listen to your body. If you really want to try mega dosing, go to your doctor and tell them what's up. Tell them what you know, your concerns, and what you want to do. Chances are they'll shut the idea down of course, but if you're hell bent, you can find some bits of helpfulness in their response. Then make sure you get blood tested before and while you're mega dosing. Again, listen to your body.

I just wanted to sharw my experience and remind you guys to be safe and make smart moves. Be well!

MemberMember
(@cicibabygirl)

Posted : 02/16/2015 3:48 pm

Accutane is vitamin A lol. So you were basically taking Accutane without doctor guidance or supervision.

MemberMember
(@darkdubzs)

Posted : 02/16/2015 5:19 pm

Yup, that's basically what was happening. I don't think Accutane is exactly the same as Vitamin A, but Vitamin A is the main active ingredient in Accurate. I had no idea back then, but now I know.