26 Years Old. Have ...

Notifications
Clear all

26 Years Old. Have Had Acne Since Mid Teens. Help Me Figure Out What This Is?

MemberMember
(@xenolicious)

Posted : 01/11/2015 6:26 pm

Hey, long time lurker here.

I've had acne since I was a young teen. But back then it was full out pizza face and zits everywhere. I used Proactiv which helped to clear the majority of it up and stopped. I did use Lemon Juice after as toner at some points. After that I had tons of Ice Pick scars, the occassional pimples and just redness. I've always had redness.

I'm not on Birth Control. I took it once about 5 years ago for only 2 months (Yaz and the corner of my right chin had way worse cystic type acne)

Nowadays I just get the ocassional pimple, I have sebaceous filaments on my nose. I have redness. And I have this bad acne on the corner of my right chin thats like a bump that hasn't gone away in over half a year. I wear makeup everyday and think I look ok with it but I'd love to have a clearer face and less ice pick scarring etc underneath. Just normal skin tone and not as much scarring.

I didn't really think about my acne lately until my boyfriends mom asked if I had Rosacea on my day off, no makeup on.

My question is: What would you consider the redness to be? What should I do to heal the bump on my chin area? Would you recommend Dermastamping/rolling for my ice pick scars? (considering starting it) and what products would you recommend trying?

Right now I mostly use Cetaphil daily cleanser or just water. I use red stridex pads on my nose. And I just started Mizon Snail Recovery Gel Cream.

Pictures: post-434491-0-82380000-1421018706.jpg post-434491-0-84185300-1421018735.jpg post-434491-0-43437100-1421018745.jpg

MemberMember
(@maryc)

Posted : 01/11/2015 10:17 pm

Hi! It looks like rosacea but that's hard to tell! Have you seen a derm? It's hard to know which product you should use if you are not sure of what your condition is. I hope you will find out.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/12/2015 7:29 pm

Looks like seborrheic dermatitis or some form of eczema to me. It could be rosacea, but a lot of white people are at your level of redness simply because the skin is translucent and you can see the natural vein structure more than you can in a darker skinned person. I believe "true" rosacea looks more like this:

rosacea-b.jpg

Even if it is rosacea, you're SOL because there is no cure for it.

If the cyst has been there for a year and a half, you need to get it injected with cortisone.

MemberMember
(@whereismymind)

Posted : 01/13/2015 1:26 pm

I think it's rosacea but I guess it always hard to say from pictures.

If it is rosacea, you are not "SOL" as the above poster said. It is true that there is no cure for rosacea but the same is true for acne. That doesn't mean these conditions aren't treatable!

I've gotten IPL laser treatments for rosacea/redness before. It's expensive but definitely effective.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 01/13/2015 6:51 pm

I think it's rosacea but I guess it always hard to say from pictures.

If it is rosacea, you are not "SOL" as the above poster said. It is true that there is no cure for rosacea but the same is true for acne. That doesn't mean these conditions aren't treatable!

I've gotten IPL laser treatments for rosacea/redness before. It's expensive but definitely effective.

IPL and laser zaps your veins. It doesn't stop your body from creating new veins. Some people spend thousands a year on "maintenance" treatments because the results don't last. Many report that they can't even see the results until their 3rd or 4th treatment...in fact every place I've been to the doctors have said as much. There is a vascular dysfunction in rosacea that we currently cannot CURE.

IPL and laser also is not effective for subtype 1 flushing responses. It cannot stop flushing, or even lessen its appearance all that much, because you have to have veins in your face to live, and when you flush it activates every vein you have.

Now you may get lucky and not have to spend that much, but for someone posting for the first time, I'm not going to suggest "hey, go spend $6k to get your face zapped" as a solution. If people balk at the expense of Accutane then IPL treatments as a cure are pure fantasy.

I've spent thousands on IPL and Vbeam over the last few years, and a few months after my "treatment package", I am literally back to square one. So yes, from my experience, I would say you're SOL. If one session worked for you, GREAT, but I would say you are definitely in the minority.

That said, based on the pictures, I would not characterize the OP as even having rosacea in the clinical sense. In my opinion, she looks like a typical thin skinned Caucasian with a problematic cyst and possibly some sort of dermatitis. Most northern European descent Caucasians have a level of visible redness. This is not a disease, it's just what comes from having pale skin (and that facial skin is of a different quality than skin on the rest of the body). We forget that this is normal what with makeup and fake tans and airbrushing.

Eyelah liked
MemberMember
(@noche)

Posted : 01/16/2015 6:49 pm

Hey, long time lurker here.

I've had acne since I was a young teen. But back then it was full out pizza face and zits everywhere. I used Proactiv which helped to clear the majority of it up and stopped. I did use Lemon Juice after as toner at some points. After that I had tons of Ice Pick scars, the occassional pimples and just redness. I've always had redness.

I'm not on Birth Control. I took it once about 5 years ago for only 2 months (Yaz and the corner of my right chin had way worse cystic type acne)

Nowadays I just get the ocassional pimple, I have sebaceous filaments on my nose. I have redness. And I have this bad acne on the corner of my right chin thats like a bump that hasn't gone away in over half a year. I wear makeup everyday and think I look ok with it but I'd love to have a clearer face and less ice pick scarring etc underneath. Just normal skin tone and not as much scarring.

I didn't really think about my acne lately until my boyfriends mom asked if I had Rosacea on my day off, no makeup on.

My question is: What would you consider the redness to be? What should I do to heal the bump on my chin area? Would you recommend Dermastamping/rolling for my ice pick scars? (considering starting it) and what products would you recommend trying?

Right now I mostly use Cetaphil daily cleanser or just water. I use red stridex pads on my nose. And I just started Mizon Snail Recovery Gel Cream.

Pictures: attachicon.gifIMG_5826.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_5830.JPG attachicon.gifIMG_5833.JPG

I think it might be seborrheic dermatitis with atopic dermatitis.

I used proactiv too ,with good results for periods of time ,then sometimes my face would be red and had a seborrheic dermatitis flare up with itchiness that made me prone to cystic acne,but I have to admit that I tried to remove the cysts and ended up having them surgically removed from my face,because they would form fibroid tissue.

My daughter and I used proactiv and around the year 2009 ,we started noticing that the formula wasn't working like before,all the products that were shipped to us were defective(I used to stack up on the kits ,so I had plenty of them that we were using),they had a recall ,I'm not sure, but I think it was about the end of 2009 ,we were never informed,I found out because I called them to complain,the cleanser and the treatment were compromised,according to them due to a low formulation,so that means we were basically washing our faces with the make-up remover wipes and water and applying only toner,according to proactiv the toner was fine .

We ended up with seborrheic dermatitis,atopic dermatitis and cystic acne. We ended up seeing a dermatologist,my daughter cleared with ziana ,thank God .

I wasn't that lucky ,I used retin a for 9 months,until my husband and kids questioned ,why are you using that ?, if it doesn't work,well I was that desperate,my advice is ,that if something you are trying doesn't start working within 2-3 months,if you don't see improvement or results ,then stop ,because it will never do.

Before you treat your face with lasers or any other things that you mentioned,you have to make sure that your face is in a good condition to take those treatments,I believe some people jump to many steps looking for a quick fix,there's no such a thing.

First ,see if you can consult a dermatologist and ask for an opinion ,try to get a diagnoses.

What I think ,might differ from the professional side.

Take care, there is always a treatment for everything,even if there is no cure ,we can always manage. Remember ,you are in control,not the thing that is afflicting you or bothering you.

Best wishes.

MemberMember
(@misterb)

Posted : 01/16/2015 11:23 pm

I think it could be rosacea, but dermatitis and eczema are probably better guesses. Skin conditions like this are often caused by problems in the digestive system - bacterial imbalance (dysbiosis), low stomach acid, leaky gut, and others. If that is what's going on for you then diet can make a big difference, and so can making a point to promote good digestion. Do you have any symptoms of IBS like stomach aches, bloating, constipation or diarrhea?

MemberMember
(@xenolicious)

Posted : 01/17/2015 1:12 pm

Thank you all for your responses.

Yes, I've been told I'm pale my whole life. I also forgot to mention that I cannot tan. My arms get a tinge of color but I can't really tan. My mom is even paler than me. My dads side is Swedish and Idk what my mom's side is (some European mix). So I can understand the "thin skinned pale with the visible redness" issue.

Yeah my Bump/ Cyst Blemish thing has been on my chin for quite a long time. I will try to go see a dermatologist about it and my skin in general. It's not itchy or anything.

My facial skin can look my normal skin tone upon waking up most days, but after washing it, or going outside etc, it can become reddish.

I'm not in any hurry to jump under any laser treatments. Did look up dermarolling and I do wanna try that but maybe on just one cheek starting out and only once per month with a 1.0 roller.

Also looking up Seborrheic dermatitis, atopic dermatitis and all those suggested. Really hoping it's not Rosacea.

Its weird looking up dermatitis online because it shows extreme examples so I'll try to find stuff on this forum about it.