Notifications
Clear all

22 Year Old Female, Accutane For The Second Time *fingers Crossed*

MemberMember
(@stephaniesabine)

Posted : 10/30/2014 3:26 pm

Hi!

I have creeped the forums for a while, but I've never really felt the need to post. I recently decided to go on Accutane for a second time, and I felt it might be good to keep a log of my symptoms and improvements.

A bit of my background:

I took Accutane years ago when I was 14. I was completely clear for about a year, but then the acne began to come back slowly. It didn't bother me at first but then about three years ago it came back with a vengeance. I have tried everything from topicals, the regime, antibiotics, and all natural products. Nothing I tried made a difference and it came to the point where I just didn't want to be 22 with acne, I'm willing to take more extreme measures to cure myself.

I got on birth control about 5 months ago, but the first kind I tried really didn't agree with me, Minestrin 24fe. I was then switched to Loryna. My doctor said that my acne was so persistent it isn't likely birth control would completely clear me, so Accutane seemed to be the only answer.

I'm 114 pounds and Ill be taking Myorisan 40 mg, twice daily. I will be starting out the first week at just 40 mg a day to allow my body to adjust. I feel that 80 mg a day is a very high dose to start, I don't remember it being that high the first time. But my doc assured me it was a common dosage.

Day 1 & 2:

40 mg

So far I don't really have any side effects except for the fact that after taking the pill I feel a little nauseous. I'm not sure why, but I am going to try and take it with a meal containing more fat and see if that helps. Oddly enough my acne is the best it has been in months....I attribute this to being on Loryna for 3 1/2 months now. I feel that it's finally starting to kick in a bit. However I do still have some inflamed acne on my cheeks and chin and I have quite a bit of "marks" from old break outs. :(

I might upload some pics later to actually see the progress.

MemberMember
(@skaims)

Posted : 10/31/2014 12:24 am

For the nausea, try taking accutane with a scoop of peanut butter. Or take it after eating a handful of nuts : )

Peanut butter/nuts also help with hair growth and nail strength! A win-win situation hehe

MemberMember
(@stephaniesabine)

Posted : 11/01/2014 11:00 am

Thanks a lot! That's a good idea! I started putting a little peanut butter in my oatmeal in the morning, hopefully that will help.

Day 3&4:

Still having a little nausea after taking the pill, but I know I am eating enough fat so it must just be my body adjusting. I never use chapstick and I had to buy one yesterday, already getting dry lips! Besides that all is good!

As far as my skin everything is mostly the same, no sign of the bad IB yet. I do have a few new spots, but that's normal for me. It's rare that I don't wake up with something new.

Since last night was Halloween, I broke down and had one drink. I know I'm not supposed to. I think that will be very hard for me during this process. I am such a social drinker, that's really how I have fun---go out and grab a drink. I definitely don't want to do anything reckless or stupid though. Anyone else struggle with this?

MemberMember
(@stephaniesabine)

Posted : 11/03/2014 1:10 am

Day 5: 40 mg

Still going good! The dryness has definitely set it! My eyes and the inside of my nose feel really dry. I wear contacts so I hope the dryness doesn't get too bad. As far as my breakouts, again I have a few new ones but nothing out of the ordinary. No IB yet.

Some pics of my current skin. I can't believe I'm posting these! I literally let no one see me without my full face on. That's how bad I feel... But as ugly and disgusted as I feel now, I hope I'll look back in a few months and be that much happier being able to see my progress and where I came from.

post-362895-0-95421700-1414994909.jpg

post-362895-0-74504200-1414995005.jpg

post-362895-0-34433200-1414995012.jpg

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 11/03/2014 3:12 pm

Hey you look great anyway! Im sure youll be happy with the results again though! Good luck!

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 11/03/2014 6:25 pm

You're BEAUTIFUL :)

MemberMember
(@beautyaddict888)

Posted : 11/04/2014 1:44 pm

Hello,

I am a 29/F/100lbs on 10mg twice a day =20mg for four days so far. I haven't yet experienced the dry skin yet on day 4 but im hoping it will very soon!! I am so sick of having this oily skin. Did you have really oily skin before starting Accutane? I'm sure your skin will get clearer as the day goes. Which brand are you taking? I am taking Zenatane.

Also, I too am a lil worried about drinking while on the medication. My doctor told me that a glass with dinner is okay but nothing more than that and not everyday. I would think a glass a week or so shouldnt be too bad depending on your recent blood work.

MemberMember
(@stephaniesabine)

Posted : 11/05/2014 2:03 pm

Thank you guys!

Beautyaddict888, I'm taking the brand Myorisan. Good luck on your treatment!!

Yes, I was definitely oily before treatment. Back when I was 14 and I first took Accutane, I was oily to an extreme. Afterwards, though my acne came back, the same level of oiliness never did. My skin is now probably what 'normal' oily skin would be considered. By the end of the day my face is shiny. I soooo look forward to getting rid of the oil for good too, it will definitely happen. I'm sure by the time you reach your 2nd month the oil will be diminishing.

My blood work was fine. That's good to hear though! I guess my doctor is just super cautious.

I'm starting my first day of 80 mg today! Wish me luck, I'm nervous about this high dose!

MemberMember
(@stephaniesabine)

Posted : 11/09/2014 2:02 pm

Day 11:

So I've been on 80 mg for four days if I count today. The side effects have definitely increased. My main issue is headaches. Two days ago I had a horrible headache that felt more like a migraine. That was definitely unusual for me as I don't get migraines. I also have a dull headache today and my right eye is constantly twitching. Plus I'm dealing with some body aches, it feels a bit like I worked out, though I haven't.

I hope this is just my body adjusting to the larger dose, and it will get better in a few days!

For my skin: A few days ago my skin was looking really good! It was smoother and with makeup on it looked kind of clear. But starting yesterday it felt like within hours my face just started exploding. I have 6 new spots in one day, so I would say I am in my IB. Joy! I am happy it is here though, so I can get it over with. I'll just have to conceal well. haha

My lips are also soooo dry! I worked outside yesterday hanging posters for a Veteran's Day parade, and my lips started cracking if I didn't reapply chapstick frequently. Just got to remember to have it on hand!

MemberMember
(@beautyaddict888)

Posted : 11/10/2014 1:54 pm

Day 11:

So I've been on 80 mg for four days if I count today. The side effects have definitely increased. My main issue is headaches. Two days ago I had a horrible headache that felt more like a migraine. That was definitely unusual for me as I don't get migraines. I also have a dull headache today and my right eye is constantly twitching. Plus I'm dealing with some body aches, it feels a bit like I worked out, though I haven't.

I hope this is just my body adjusting to the larger dose, and it will get better in a few days!

For my skin: A few days ago my skin was looking really good! It was smoother and with makeup on it looked kind of clear. But starting yesterday it felt like within hours my face just started exploding. I have 6 new spots in one day, so I would say I am in my IB. Joy! I am happy it is here though, so I can get it over with. I'll just have to conceal well. haha

My lips are also soooo dry! I worked outside yesterday hanging posters for a Veteran's Day parade, and my lips started cracking if I didn't reapply chapstick frequently. Just got to remember to have it on hand!

Wow you are on a high dose! You should definitely be cautious of your side effects and report any serious symptoms to your doctor asap!. I know exactly what you mean. My was was super clear..(althought i had spots and bumps) but the overall complexion looked bright and clear and then BAM, i got like red painful spots all over my face. I am on day 10 right now and still have the breakouts. I guess this is my IB too?

I am also experiencing headaches..as if i am hungover but i certainly am not. My lips are slowly getting more dry, although ive experienced dry lips for all my life so I am kind of used to it.

I hope our IBs go away ASAP!!

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 11/10/2014 2:00 pm

Day 11:

Hey I would pick up some aquaphor for your lips if you havent already.

MemberMember
(@stephaniesabine)

Posted : 11/10/2014 10:33 pm

CWR24: I got some today. It really makes a difference, I get why people love it! I've also switched to Cerave lotion based on its popularity here.

Beautyaddict888: It's cool we started around the same time, I hope both of our IB's go away fast too! That's the perfect way to describe the headaches, it really is like a "hung-over" feeling.

Day 12:

I feel a little better today! My eye is still twitching which kind of bothers me....I feel that should be gone by now. But my headaches and soreness has subsided. The weirdest part about today is my skin! My body is definitely working to push everything out. All of a sudden overnight I got a million of these really visible black heads on my face. It seems like they are trying to push out and my skin has a very rough, bumpy texture. Also my skin was really oily today, which is odd but I assume it's part of my body working to get all this out. Not attractive, but at least I know something is happening!

MemberMember
(@stephaniesabine)

Posted : 11/15/2014 11:07 pm

Day 16: 80 mgs

Woah how things can change in just a few days!! My skin pushed everything out so fast. Right now my skin looks the best it has in probably a year. I still have a lot of black heads trying to move out, but I no longer wake up with new white heads or anything. Maybe one every few days, which is crazy! I still have plenty of marks, but they are all inactive. My skin is also bit red/flushed looking.

Side effects: They're there, but manageable. I have some aches and pains (lower pack, some joint), but it really is just an annoyance not anything major. My eye is STILL twitching from time to time. It must be from the dryness, I wear contacts all day, every day. I don't think my eyes like that in their current state. And of course my lips are dry, dry, dry. Like to the point where I panic if I think I forgot my aquaphor at home. haha

I hope things continue to improve! Here are some pics. The first is a few days ago during my break out. The other is now, though it is not the best quality I just want to share how dramatic these past few days have been in clearing me up.

post-362895-0-21017800-1416110718.jpg