Notifications
Clear all

On Accutane. What Foundation Won't Look Shiny When Worn Over Moisturizer?

MemberMember
(@ollie-vee)

Posted : 10/29/2014 11:05 am

I just started taking Accutane (40mg daily). So far, I haven't experienced much dryness, though I expect that I will soon, which is why I've been applying moisturizer every day and night. The problem is, after I apply it in the morning, I put my foundation on, and my skin looks shiny and oily!

My skin isn't very oily at all anymore, but the moisturizer makes it look that way. I've been using Revlon ColorStay (for oily/combination skin), which is the foundation I've used for years.

Since my skin is undergoing a dramatic change, I believe it may be time for me to change my foundation too.

I need a foundation that will 1) give me light coverage (I don't need full coverage now that my skin is clearing up), 2) not dry my skin out, and 3) mattify my skin so that my face doesn't look shiny and oily.

Is there any foundation that can do those things? Or should I just start using powder under or over my foundation?

Thanks for your help, friends!

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 11/17/2014 2:06 am

Rather than changing your foundation, change your moisturizer to a matte moisturizer.

Effaclar Mat works really well for what you want.

MemberMember
(@klm15)

Posted : 11/17/2014 4:41 pm

Most lighter coverage foundations don't tend to give very matte finish, so I agree with starting with a mattifying moisturizer and then following up with a light foundation, BB cream, or tinted moisturizer.

I wouldn't recommend a setting powder. If you're already dry from the Accutane, you don't want to add on any more layers than you need to.

Urban Decay Naked Skin is a great water based light coverage foundation, and Laura Mercier makes an oil free version of her tinted moisturizer.

Any particular ingredients that tend to break you out? SPF or no? Let me know and I can recommend more if needed :)

MemberMember
(@guzzi33)

Posted : 12/11/2014 12:00 am

Try not using a moisterizer at night. Are you that dry at night?

I was on accutane 20mg for 8months and only really '"needed" it in the morning before makeup.

You get into a habit of just putting it on after a shower, but dont neccessarily need it