Notifications
Clear all

Should I Do 2Nd Course Of Roaccutaine After 1St Course Nightmare

MemberMember
(@jman91)

Posted : 10/24/2014 3:56 am

Hi All, I need some advice if possible. Im a 24year old male and have suffered from acne since my early teens. When I was around 16 I went to a dermatologist and he put me on 20mg of rroaccutaine for 6 months. Before I started my acne was mild/moderate but once I started my acne became extremely severe. I had huge red cystic welts all over my chest, face, shoulders and back. And as a result still have severe scaring. I had to get injections to reduce the scar tissue after it all cleared up. It did work and I was acne free for a good while after with only the odd flare up here and there. My first qustion is why did it get SO MUCH worse? I know it brings everything out but there was such a huge difference I dont understand?

Second question is should I do it again and ifso how bad will it get again? The reason I ask is because in the last few months its started to come back, I then ddecided to get a wax before my holidays and I ended up breaking out in 100's of little white heads which then turned into big red pimples all over my back and chest. Im on 100mg of minocyline at the moment and use that with the isotretinoin gel. I take 50mg of zinc, wash with salicylic acid and change my shirt twice a day etc.. it is working and slowly getting better but I fear I will need to do another course of roaccutaine again. I woldnt mind doing it if tge purging wasnt going to be as bad! I used to wake up at night with my back bleeding and my tshirt stuck to me. Even wearing a seatbelt was painful. Any advice and suggestions are greatly welcomed :) I've attached a pic of my current state. All the scaring in the pic is the result of the last course of roaccutaine

MemberMember
(@mrsrobinson)

Posted : 10/26/2014 2:39 pm

So you did clear after the first course ? If you did it may be worth it it was a nightmare for me and I never cleared! Also can't see the photo. For me diet helped a lot. No gluten or dairy ever.

MemberMember
(@jman91)

Posted : 10/26/2014 8:07 pm

Sorry mustnt have uploaded! Here it is. But to answer your question yea it cleared it up for a while but its starting to come back but the minocyline is working pretty well so far but was wondering if I should take roaccutaine again after my last experience! Like is my experience a once off or will it happen again?

post-431540-0-60716300-1414371226_thumb.

MemberMember
(@sarah12387)

Posted : 11/09/2014 5:55 am

I'm on my third course now. First time I got a bad flu and couldn't deal with the dryness and mucus! Second time they started me on a 40 mg dose which for me personally was too much to 'start' me on. I got a big crack in my face which didn't stop bleeding and I couldn't go in like that anymore. Each time I cleared it came back.

I'm not sure why they gave you 20mg for 6months? Was that all? That's not enough! 20mg is a starting doze for someone my weight which is 53kg, I'm sure as a male and muscle type figure you weigh much more! Accutane prescription goes by weight. Your dermatologist should have upped your dozage after 4 weeks. My brother has just started on 60mg for 4-5 months with a similar looking back to you. I am not a dermatologist and the above is just my opinion! Also, remember that accurane effectiveness is doubled if taken with food, particularly fatty food. When did you take your pills? Id say you should speak to your seen about why you were only given 20mg for the whole 6months?

MemberMember
(@sarah12387)

Posted : 11/09/2014 5:56 am

Nobody can predict how bad it will get again. It will get worse before it gets better but it will be worth it.