Notifications
Clear all

Acne Scars Are Making Me Depressed

MemberMember
(@easyeasy)

Posted : 09/07/2014 10:04 am

Two years ago I used accutane in the hopes that it would get rid of acne. It turned out to be the worst decision I ever made because accutane made my acne 6x worse (not even joking) than it was before. My derma took me off it and said he didn't know what caused this to happen. I pretty much didn't leave my home at that time unless it was for school, which I dreaded to go to because of my acne.

After the acne subsided I got on the regimen and I really helped. Unfortunately, now I have scars on my face and I feel absolutely terrible and depressed over it. The worst area is my nose which has small but noticeable bumps due to scarring, since it's in the center of my face I feel like people notice it all the time.

I really don't mean to sound like a narcissist in this part, but a lot of people did use to say I was good looking and attractive before the whole accutane ordeal (despite having some acne), now I don't get those compliments and some people have called me ugly behind my back (which completely ruins my day and makes me just want to lay in bed and not leave).

I try to do the best with what I have, I work out consistently, dress well, act confident. But when I look around the room when I'm with friends and see that no one has any acne or acne scarring, I just feel depressed inside because I'm the only one in the room with this issue.

I don't know what to do because my parents won't let me get my scars treated because they don't trust dermatologists anymore after the accutane ordeal. Now there are days where I just don't leave the bed and try to sleep all day.

I seriously don't know what to do and need some advice on how to deal with these scars and improve my mood.

MemberMember
(@geeking)

Posted : 09/10/2014 1:40 am

Scars aren't as bad as acne - no pain, no huge red bumps, no whiteheads, I could go on.
Yes scars are not ideal, but a large majority of people have them for whatever reasons. The people who make cruel comments have nothing else going on in their lives so they choose to make others upset with them. Even if your scarring is more moderate or severe, it shows how far you've come dealing with your acne, try and think positively. If anything, focus on one day going to see a derm yourself when you have the ability to, or maybe making a compromise with your parents about paying them back for scar treatments later on. I hope you find peace with your scars for now.

MemberMember
(@eminem-isback)

Posted : 09/10/2014 3:59 am

Please don't be depressed they are just scars be happy you are cured embrace everyday and live it to the fullest cause you never know when it may come back

MemberMember
(@mazgan)

Posted : 09/28/2014 11:37 pm

Scars aren't as bad as acne - no pain, no huge red bumps, no whiteheads, I could go on.

Yes scars are not ideal, but a large majority of people have them for whatever reasons. The people who make cruel comments have nothing else going on in their lives so they choose to make others upset with them. Even if your scarring is more moderate or severe, it shows how far you've come dealing with your acne, try and think positively. If anything, focus on one day going to see a derm yourself when you have the ability to, or maybe making a compromise with your parents about paying them back for scar treatments later on. I hope you find peace with your scars for now.

Please don't be depressed they are just scars be happy you are cured embrace everyday and live it to the fullest cause you never know when it may come back

wow...just scars? its SCARS ON THE FACE. scars are way worse than acne. it stay forever on ur face no matter what u do.

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 09/30/2014 3:09 am

Totally OT, but Eminemisback (age 17) is using an old photo of 21 yr old Australian model/actress/BioSkin - a nutritional shake- spokesmodel Jessica Green as her profile pic. Way not cool to do to a public figure.

https://www.facebook.com/Jessica.Green.Actor.Model

And also really misleading to other who think that's your skin, especially those that are being vulnerable by posting graphic photos of their own true acne.

God, I hate the Internet.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 10/05/2014 3:04 am

Two years ago I used accutane in the hopes that it would get rid of acne. It turned out to be the worst decision I ever made because accutane made my acne 6x worse (not even joking) than it was before. My derma took me off it and said he didn't know what caused this to happen. I pretty much didn't leave my home at that time unless it was for school, which I dreaded to go to because of my acne.

After the acne subsided I got on the regimen and I really helped. Unfortunately, now I have scars on my face and I feel absolutely terrible and depressed over it. The worst area is my nose which has small but noticeable bumps due to scarring, since it's in the center of my face I feel like people notice it all the time.

I really don't mean to sound like a narcissist in this part, but a lot of people did use to say I was good looking and attractive before the whole accutane ordeal (despite having some acne), now I don't get those compliments and some people have called me ugly behind my back (which completely ruins my day and makes me just want to lay in bed and not leave).

I try to do the best with what I have, I work out consistently, dress well, act confident. But when I look around the room when I'm with friends and see that no one has any acne or acne scarring, I just feel depressed inside because I'm the only one in the room with this issue.

I don't know what to do because my parents won't let me get my scars treated because they don't trust dermatologists anymore after the accutane ordeal. Now there are days where I just don't leave the bed and try to sleep all day.

I seriously don't know what to do and need some advice on how to deal with these scars and improve my mood.

If you want to treat your scars, make a goal to do it, get a job and start saving up money for it. It will give you something to work towards instead of being depressed all day.

I held a job as soon as I was able to work and sometimes I was only doing it so I could afford my acne medication (my parents made me pay for my dermatologist visits and any medication from the doctor or from the store). It is possible if you want it badly enough.

MemberMember
(@eminem-isback)

Posted : 10/12/2014 7:26 pm

>Please don't be depressed they are just scars be happy you are cured embrace everyday and live it to the fullest cause you never know when it may come back

wow...just scars? its SCARS ON THE FACE. scars are way worse than acne. it stay forever on ur face no matter what u do.

i think its better then having acne and im just saying dont let the scars ruin your life if you can help it cause you made it thru acne...chill

MemberMember
(@mazgan)

Posted : 10/12/2014 10:49 pm

>>Please don't be depressed they are just scars be happy you are cured embrace everyday and live it to the fullest cause you never know when it may com

e backlockquote>

wow...just scars? its SCARS ON THE FACE. scars are way worse than acne. it stay forever on ur face no matter what

u do.

i think its better then having acne and im just saying dont let the scars ruin your life if you can help it cause you made it thru acne...chill

it pissed me off because u probally dont have any significant scarring, so u cant possibly understand. its like some1 who never had acne told u he understand whats its like having acne.. now u get it?

also, u shouldn't assume that just because i state that scars are worse (they are FOR LIFE) than acne, that i dont have active acne. and i am sure any1 with enough scarring would agree with me that scars are worse.