Notifications
Clear all

Treating Insulin Resistance And Acne With High Carb Low Fat Vegan Diet

MemberMember
(@dandy130)

Posted : 09/03/2014 8:13 am

After suffering from acne for many years, and trying everything, paleo diet, antibiotics etc etc, I am having success with a new diet, that treats insulin resistance properly. We know diet effects blood sugar levels, which in turn effects insulin levels and this effects androgen production, which effects sebum production which effects how bad our acne is etc. I tried to treat this using paleo, limited carbs high fat. It was too hard for me, I felt bad all the time, no energy etc. It was only until I started looking into the scientific literature that I began to realise I had it all wrong! Multiple studies have shown ( I will link them below) that a diet low in fat and high in natural plant based carbs, reversed insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. Now while this says nothing about acne, what it does say, is it improves how insulin works in our body, so less is needed as we are not resistant to it anymore. Less insulin, less androgens, less acne surely! blood sugar problems, are not caused by carbs, but by fat not allowing glucose to filter into the cells properly (highly simplified, but do your research). So now I have cut out all animal products limiting fat intake and eating plant based carbs, fruits, veg I can even tolerate rice now without breaking out! It took two days of breaking out before things started to clear up, I feel amazing, and I am really enjoying this Lifestyle. Here are some studies and Professionals talking about this diet and it's effect on glycemic control, insukin sensitivity etc.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Columns/At-Large/31400

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16873779

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/12/2168.full

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/941870

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/dec/diabetes.htm

There is so much more research out there as well. A lot of these are focused on diabetes, but that is a illness caused by insulin resistance and blood sugar issues, acne is caused by the same problems, that's why we are advised to eat low gi, but this diet cuts to the root of the problem and allows you to tolerate carbs again, and improves insulin sensitvity dramatically! It has helped me loads so far! I still can't tolerate naked potatoes but I have only been doing it for a week and a half and my skin is 20 times better. Treating scars with aloe vera gel.

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 09/05/2014 5:57 am

Insulin resistance is a complicated issue. Overloading on carbs in the long run, however, is entirely over stuffed: it's just bad. High levels of blood insulin won't hurt you, but sugar spikes will. The more you spike your blood sugar, the more glycosylation of random proteins you'll get. Glycosylated proteins are very hard for your body to get rid of, especially if they're low turnover proteins like collagen, and they increase your risk for heart disease, cancer, and a host of other issues.

This is why I would say that blood sugar control is much more important than insulin control. That being said, if you become insulin resistant via lots of fats and also eat a lot of high glycemic foods, you're setting yourself up for disaster.

MemberMember
(@dandy130)

Posted : 09/09/2014 10:23 am

The majority of my diet is based around fruits and veg, so low glycemic carbs, so blood sugar shouldn't be a problem I just don't eat fats or high glycemic foods, occasionally I will have rice but not very often. I thought high blood insulin levels effected IGF-1 levels and androgen production though? Or am I mistaken?

MemberMember
(@user354689)

Posted : 02/28/2015 12:22 pm

The majority of my diet is based around fruits and veg, so low glycemic carbs, so blood sugar shouldn't be a problem I just don't eat fats or high glycemic foods, occasionally I will have rice but not very often. I thought high blood insulin levels effected IGF-1 levels and androgen production though? Or am I mistaken?

Are you still eating in this way? How do you feel now that you've limited your fat intake?

Just asking because I read that the brain thrives on fats (avocado, fish, etc).

MemberMember
(@winsomesuet)

Posted : 02/24/2016 2:08 pm

I'm also interested to hear an update on this or any other opinions. I've also tried many "diets" with no success. On a high fat diet (paleo) I feel good and have good energy, but bad skin. Recently I've been reading about HCLF vegan and how high fat can cause problems with insulin whenever you eat any carbs, and, wanting to become vegan anyway for environmental reasons, made the switch (although maybe not as low fat as recommended). For the most part I feel ok except sometimes I have energy crashes (fatigue, shakiness, hunger) shortly after eating and particularly when I exercise. I'm not sure now if this is just because my insulin responses are still messed up from the high fat years and I should stick with the HCLF, or if this is just never going to work for me. I eat mostly vegetables, starches, beans, whole grains, fruits and still some fats (nuts, seeds, avocados, coconut, about 20% fat total). Would love to hear any thoughts on this. Thanks.

MemberMember
(@natureman1000)

Posted : 02/25/2016 3:33 pm

The vegan diet did not work for my acne. The only diet that did was a paleo one. I used to eat a lot of green vegetables, meat, and some nuts (sprouted almonds, raw almonds).I ate no eggs or dairy products while on the diet.

MemberMember
(@remi47)

Posted : 02/25/2016 7:25 pm

Evenjust a vegan diet has done a lot of good to my skin, I don't even eat that healthy either. If you're having problems with a vegan diet you are doing something wrong...

It's sad thatpeople are so scepitcal, dismissive and unwilling to give it a go when itentails a tonne of benefits.

I've been on a vegan diet for 6 months now and my skin is basically clear because my digestion is flawless, red marks just need tofade now...

It has been proven that meat, dairy, eggs and other animal products are not "food" for us.

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 02/26/2016 2:32 am

I have also been reading this research about how high carb low fat diets can actually improve our sensitivity to insulin- (particularly dr mcdougall). I used to eat the opposite - low carb paleo style. At first it helped my skin but gradually i have felt it having a negative effect on my health - low energy, digestive issues, headaches/spacey feeling whenever i eat even small amount of sugar like fruit. I have recently added back in grains and more carbs and lowered meat/fat intake. I want to fully try this high carb low fat way but kind of scared i'll break out. It does feel more natural to me though eating like this - i don't even really like meat! Its encouraging to hear some people having success with this diet. I guess i will just have to accept some initial breakouts - hope it eventually works for me. My energy has improved anyways 🙂

MemberMember
(@convinceme)

Posted : 02/26/2016 2:46 am

13 minutes ago, Geekgirl13 said:

I have also been reading this research about how high carb low fat diets can actually improve our sensitivity to insulin- (particularly dr mcdougall). I used to eat the opposite - low carb paleo style. At first it helped my skin but gradually i have felt it having a negative effect on my health - low energy, digestive issues, headaches/spacey feeling whenever i eat even small amount of sugar like fruit. I have recently added back in grains and more carbs and lowered meat/fat intake. I want to fully try this high carb low fat way but kind of scared i'll break out. It does feel more natural to me  though eating like this - i don't even really like meat! Its encouraging to hear some people having success with this diet. I guess i will just have to accept some initial breakouts - hope it eventually works for me. My energy has improved anyways :)

I know my question is random but do you eat any food that's cooked using vegetable oil?

MemberMember
(@geekgirl13)

Posted : 02/26/2016 4:28 pm

13 hours ago, Convinceme said:
I know my question is random but do you eat any food that's cooked using vegetable oil?

Well when i was on paleo diet i cooked alot in coconut oil and put olive oil on salads. Since i've started transitioning into this low fat diet i have cut out all oils.