Does Eating Too Muc...

Notifications
Clear all

Does Eating Too Much Honey Cause Acne?

MemberMember
(@zimmeju)

Posted : 08/21/2014 11:45 am

I know this is a strange question but my doc just put me on a detox program the past month which consisted of 1 tbl of apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon of raw honey 2 X a day. After a couple weeks I started experiencing a severe breakout on my face. I called the doc and was told to omit the honey in case it was causing the breakouts. Anyone run across this problem before? Its only 2 tablespoons of wildflower honey a day. I always thought honey was great for you. Can I be allergic to it? I have eaten honey in the past but only occasionally on a piece of toast.

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/21/2014 5:42 pm

If the bees are fed HFCS (corn syrup,) it's going to have a higher glycemic index (and if you have a corn sensitivity,) you might react. If you're allergic to bee venom, you might react. All human beings have an allergic response to bee venom, your skin is just probably telling you honey isn't the treatment for you.

zimmeju liked
MemberMember
(@acnewonderland)

Posted : 08/22/2014 10:47 am

when i went on healthy diet first time in my life n couldnt eat anything i still thought honey is healthy so since tht was only sweets tht i thought was allowed i ate all the f i could of it then, spoons n even like pot a day of it sometimes

i dnt remember wht happened from it bcs in my mind i was breaking out as usual bt mayb just mayb i screwed something in myself up back then? with overeating sugar??

my grandpa tho when was lil kid was like on death bed. one day he just found pot of honey. he ate all of it at once! (idk frikin y bt tht happened) nd from then he was cured?

MemberMember
(@andrew-jenkins)

Posted : 08/22/2014 7:53 pm

How long after the detox program did you break out? Detox often includes an aggravation of symptoms before amelioration.

MemberMember
(@jenjen84)

Posted : 10/14/2014 11:03 pm

Yes! It has alot of sugar stay away

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 10/17/2014 5:13 pm

Honey is the same as white sugar to the body. Doesn't matter that it's natural. Yes, it does have some nutrients which is great for people who are not acne prone but if you get acne then you have to keep your internal sugar levels more balanced or lower than the general population. In other words eat like as if you are diabetic. Some derms think that adult acne is like diabetes of the skin.

You must avoid all sugars (brown sugar, white sugar, honey, molasses, etc). You can eat whole fruit but not fruit juices which are too concentrated --- hence too much sugar.

The honey/apple cider treatment may work for very very mild acne but cystic acne is different...deeper. Cystic acne requires avoiding all sugars, dairy, caffeine, and anything you may be allergic to.

Jenjen84 liked
MemberMember
(@jenjen84)

Posted : 10/19/2014 3:08 pm

:/ sugar and caffeine <333 :(

MemberMember
(@pianina)

Posted : 10/20/2014 8:39 am

Apple cider vinegar should control the blood sugar levels, it's even recommended to drink two table spoons diluted in water before a high glycemic/high carb food, so you should be fine... Could be purging though, after all you're on detox program and what it does is making your fat cells release all the toxins they stored. It's not a wonder to be breaking out while detoxing your body.

MemberMember
(@cvd)

Posted : 10/21/2014 10:51 am

If you are an adult with acne you may also be dealing with some rosacea. If so, then ingesting apple cider vinegar may cause acne-like flare-ups. I have rosacea in addition to acne and have to avoid rosacea triggers such as vinegars, fermented foods, spicy foods, dairy, etc. If you continue to get "acne" flare-ups after ingesting apple cider vinegar then you may have a bit of rosacea. Rosacea can look very much like acne (pimples, whiteheads, in addition to the usual redness).