Skin Is Flaky + Oil...

Notifications
Clear all

Skin Is Flaky + Oily

MemberMember
(@aaronr94)

Posted : 08/11/2014 10:06 pm

Yooooo. I've been on the Regimen for a year now and it cleared my face up a ton, i'm pretty clear 99% of the time. I usually always have 1 or 2 smallish pimples still, but i'm not complaining because it was everywhere before. Anyways, most of the time my skin very oily AND flaky at the same time. Whenever I smile I can see tons of white flakes all over my cheeks, but at the same time my face is always shiny and oily. Some days my skin is super soft and looks awesome but that randomly happens about once a month and only lasts a day. Does anybody know how to help oily skin?? My current routine is:

-I rub some jajoba oil on my face in the morning to help scrap away some flakes and let that sit for about 5 min.

-I use CeraVe foaming cleanser (quick gentle scrub, under 8 sec)

-Then the 2.5% treatment

-Then CeraVe moisturizing lotion with about 10 drops of jajoba oil.

My skin is clear now thanks to the regimen but its starting to look gross/shiny/and unhealthy

By the way, I use AHA with my moisturizer every once in awhile, but I realized that whenever I use it, I end up with new pimples a couple days later, so I try to stay away from it, unless my flakes start getting really bad.

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/12/2014 1:30 am

Stop the jojoba oil scraping (this is what's making you oily)

Stop the 2.5 treatment (this is what's making you dry) especially if there's no acne present

Clear skin needs to be treated less aggressively. It doesn't need to be smothered in oil and dried to death with BP.

Try just Regimen cleanser, no moisturizer except aloe or hyaluronic acid until you are healed. Oatmeal and honey masks will help soothe and remove the flaking.

Forget the 2.5% for as long as you can, at least a 2-3 months as acne gets resistant to this medication, and switch to tea tree, or apple cider vinegar, or banana peel (rub on) as a spot treatment if you get a new pimple.

MemberMember
(@aaronr94)

Posted : 08/12/2014 10:57 am

Stop the jojoba oil scraping (this is what's making you oily)

Stop the 2.5 treatment (this is what's making you dry) especially if there's no acne present

Clear skin needs to be treated less aggressively. It doesn't need to be smothered in oil and dried to death with BP.

Try just Regimen cleanser, no moisturizer except aloe or hyaluronic acid until you are healed. Oatmeal and honey masks will help soothe and remove the flaking.

Forget the 2.5% for as long as you can, at least a 2-3 months as acne gets resistant to this medication, and switch to tea tree, or apple cider vinegar, or banana peel (rub on) as a spot treatment if you get a new pimple.

Alright thanks for your input.

I have to stick with the 2.5 treatment though because, I use it twice a day, and even if I miss using it once throughout the day, within 24 hours I already start getting new pimples. Last week I missed using it in the morning and I had 3 new pimples by the next morning. I'll try the aloe and masks. Thanks

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/12/2014 2:30 pm

Alright thanks for your input.

I have to stick with the 2.5 treatment though because, I use it twice a day, and even if I miss using it once throughout the day, within 24 hours I already start getting new pimples. Last week I missed using it in the morning and I had 3 new pimples by the next morning. I'll try the aloe and masks. Thanks

No problem I hope I could help!

Another suggestion, Proactive cleanser contains 2.5% BP, as well. I always keep a few different cleansers on hand depending on how my skin is feeling when I go to wash it. I advise caution with BP not just because of its tendency to dry, but it's also one of the most carcinogenic chemicals used in cosmetics. There are certain ingredients that, though effective, shouldn't sit on your skin all day. With a cleanser, the treatment doesn't deliver quite as much and will be far less irritating.

The dependence on BP is short-term, as is kicking antibiotics. This is a great article about the correct use of BP http://www.acneeinstein.com/why-you-should-not-be-afraid-of-benzoyl-peroxide-and-my-experience-in-quitting/

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 08/12/2014 10:49 pm

Perhaps you are not getting enough moisture in your skin. I use the cerave moisturizing lotion only in the day time. At night I use cetaphil moisturizing cream which can be pretty thick but I love how it really hydrates my skin in the morning and I don't get any flakes from it.

As for the oily skin, I really just blot it down with those oil control papers really. Just naturally oily faced i guess.

MemberMember
(@aaronr94)

Posted : 08/14/2014 2:12 am

Perhaps you are not getting enough moisture in your skin. I use the cerave moisturizing lotion only in the day time. At night I use cetaphil moisturizing cream which can be pretty thick but I love how it really hydrates my skin in the morning and I don't get any flakes from it.

As for the oily skin, I really just blot it down with those oil control papers really. Just naturally oily faced i guess.

Alright cool thanks, I'll probably try the cetaphil cream. I was looking into Honey Masks and they seem great. Have you ever tried that before? I'm planning on trying it tomorrow.

MemberMember
(@matiastorresz)

Posted : 10/05/2014 9:11 pm

I had the same problem but i'm in my week 7 using the regimen, sometimes my face looks awesome without flakiness and i can laugh without worry that it gonna crack up but then suddenly the next day my face is bad with a lot of flakiness and shiny, i'm pretty tired of it and i have tried some moisturizers that went bad on my skin and now my face is looking red and it doesn't gets well.