Notifications
Clear all

Acne Doesn't Signal Illness

MemberMember
(@wishonastar)

Posted : 07/27/2014 9:09 pm

Acne is a multifactorial disease of the oil glands influenced by hormones. It is not a sign of a bad liver, weak immune system, inferior genetics, food allergy, emotional problems, gut disturbance or even hormonal imbalance.

Just because you have acne does not mean you're sick - more than likely you're perfectly healthy as the next person, You just have bad skin.

Don't fret or panic that you have some horrible underlying health problem. It's really unlikely there's anything wrong with you. Remember some people just have acne, it's just apart of your genes.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/28/2014 7:30 am

That's mostly true up until the last line. Few conditions are 'just your genes.'

Acne certainly doesn't mean we are any sicker or dirtier than clear skinned people. They just don't end up with the symptom of acne. That part is due to genetic differences in skin function.

However, many do have gut, thyroid, hormone, allergy etc issues as well. Or are you going to tell the many people here diagnosed with Celiac, PCOS, or hypothyroid are ludicrous and suffering from our conspiracy theories? PCOS and both Hypo and hyperthyroid have acne as a symptom. Even the most average of conventional doctors will admit to that. It's in the textbooks.

(@LewisS)

Posted : 07/30/2014 7:50 am

I have inflammatory bowel disease, not sure if my acne is related. Since my immune system is affected by it, you'd think so. It causes inflammation in my bowel, throat and mouth, so why not my face?

Your threads are very matter of fact...

WishClean liked
MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 07/30/2014 5:10 pm

Acne can certainly be an indicator of illness. Chloracne, for example. But even normal acne is present for a reason. At the simplest baseline, having acne means that something is not functioning as it should. In most cases, it's immune system related (though the causes of immune dysfunction are many). Does this mean we have an illness or a flaw? Certainly at least the latter. Can it be fixed? Probably. Is it in our genes? Ultimately, everything is.

WishClean liked
MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 07/30/2014 8:46 pm

to the OP: thank you doctor, but no thanks.

I 'll say it once again. I truly dislike posts that make absolute statements without any conclusive proof. It merely creates controversy and offend the people who found a solution to their acne issues by pursuing the natural route.

If this forum bothers you, then don't post here. Simple as that. I even dislike the fact that I dignified this thread with a response.

MemberMember
(@missamua)

Posted : 07/31/2014 1:28 am

I *think* the OP is trying to emphasize that there shouldn't be shame or guilt associated with having severe acne that many people have, and people shouldn't convince themselves that they are unhealthy, dirty or living a bad lifestyle solely based off of the fact that they have blemished skin. I've been tested for allergies and everything was negative, then tried to alter my diet anyway by slowly eliminating certain foods for periods of time (gluten, dairy, citrus and caffeine) to see if there was a correlation between breakouts and the food I was consuming. All I ended up doing was delaying treatment and causing serious permanent scarring all over my face and so it can be a little disheartening to hear other people going through the same thing or asking themselves "Why am I breaking out despite a healthy lifestyle?". It's important to realize that acne is a lot more than just not taking care of yourself, and although diet is ESSENTIAL to healthy living in general, it's foolish to assume that it's a cure for every ailment out there. With that said, many people on here say avoiding trigger foods = clear skin, all I can say is be lucky that you have some level of control over your acne whereas many people out there don't and that's the messed up reality of severe acne. Judging those people or implying that it's their fault they have acne is absolutely not okay.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 07/31/2014 6:26 am

I agree with the above poster. Having acne may signal the need for lifestyle changes but some of us have been through many of those with no results and we are frustrated (i too suspect that the OP may be feeling like this). Add to that the other physical and emotional issues that she is going through, a little compassion from us can go a long way as many of us have no clue what it feels like to be facing acne and a condition like hers.

With that said, a good diet is ALWAYS optimal and people should take the time to explore more natural ways to address their acne rather than turning to drugs. But when that doesn't work, people should not judged for doing what is best for them.

On the same token, people should definitely try to not make blanket/absolute statements about things that work or don't work because what works for one person may not work for another.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 07/31/2014 12:01 pm

I *think* the OP is trying to emphasize that there shouldn't be shame or guilt associated with having severe acne that many people have, and people shouldn't convince themselves that they are unhealthy, dirty or living a bad lifestyle solely based off of the fact that they have blemished skin. I've been tested for allergies and everything was negative, then tried to alter my diet anyway by slowly eliminating certain foods for periods of time (gluten, dairy, citrus and caffeine) to see if there was a correlation between breakouts and the food I was consuming. All I ended up doing was delaying treatment and causing serious permanent scarring all over my face and so it can be a little disheartening to hear other people going through the same thing or asking themselves "Why am I breaking out despite a healthy lifestyle?". It's important to realize that acne is a lot more than just not taking care of yourself, and although diet is ESSENTIAL to healthy living in general, it's foolish to assume that it's a cure for every ailment out there. With that said, many people on here say avoiding trigger foods = clear skin, all I can say is be lucky that you have some level of control over your acne whereas many people out there don't and that's the messed up reality of severe acne. Judging those people or implying that it's their fault they have acne is absolutely not okay.

Actually, what the OP is here to do is tell us this whole board is stupid. Believe me. She PMd me several times and this isn't here only post. In fact she apparently joined just to make these posts as she did it all on day one & two of membership.

We are no sicker or dirtier than clear skinned people. They just don't get the symptom of acne. But that doesn't mean acne isn't a sign of processes going awry.

Also, my seeking treatment from dermatologists that told me diet had nothing to do with my acne, delayed my path to truly healthy habits and clear skin. By over a decade in which I became quite scarred and possibly impacted what all i might have done with my life.

And trigger foods is not the only way diet affects acne or anything else to do with your health. There's Inflammatary/anti-inflammatory foods, there's high glycemic impacting habits that elevate hormones involved in acne as well as being inflammatory. There's the nutrients your body needs to function.

I was hoping you were on the path to become one of the better than average dermatologists. Please. We don;t need more mediocre ones.

WishClean liked
MemberMember
(@missamua)

Posted : 07/31/2014 1:45 pm

I don't necessarily agree with every post she made, I'm just stating my interpretation of her original post. I may have even misinterpreted it myself. Also, our body does need proper diet and nutrients to function to an extent, I think that is quite obvious...but I feel like that statement once again implies that diet is the only reason for acne. All I am trying to emphasize here is not to judge people with severe acne just because you found out what works for you.

The low GI I'm very familiar with as well as the anti-inflammatory foods. I have incorporated fish oil supplements into my diet twice a day for three years now, not actually for the purpose of clearing my skin but I didn't see improvement from that either as far as reduced inflammation. I believe you have recommended taking them on one of your posts.

Bottom line: I can honestly say that I have put every amount of effort possible into dietary changes for my acne, I'm not sure why some people on here have a hard time believing that. If dietary changes cleared my skin, I would be on here encouraging others to avoid certain foods, etc. There was no reason to attack me saying I will be a bad dermatologist as I didn't find my previous post to be any bit controversial. I would also like to add that my diet as of now is not unhealthy. I'm not an organic eater by any means, but I do go out of my way to select foods that are nutritious and important for my overall health. I would encourage others to do the same.

MemberMember
(@ask24)

Posted : 08/01/2014 10:30 pm

No You're wrong.

Everyone's DNA is different. It can be due to an illness or a food allergy.

Don't make assumptions.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/04/2014 11:16 pm

I agree that acne is not necessarily a symptom of an illness, like a messed up gastrointestinal or hormonal imbalance.

It's pretty normal for naturopaths and other holistic fanatics to make pretty strong statements about people they don't even know nor are even remotely familiar with one's medical history. However, you'll notice that they never have a straight and practical answer to anything that's guaranteed to help.

We are all entitled to our own opinions as nobody knows our experience better than we do. Some have it easier than others genetically speaking and that's really the bottom line.