Notifications
Clear all

Initial Breakout On Birth Control?

MemberMember
(@carolion)

Posted : 06/15/2014 5:04 pm

Hey everyone. So a few months ago I started taking a generic version of Seasonique birth control that made my face go crazy. About a month and a half ago, I had the worst breakout of my life, with pimples and cysts everywhere and tons of inflammation. It's so bad I can't really leave the house. I've been on epiduo gel for a little over four weeks now, and I started Bactrim about 5 days ago. So far, I have seen a great deal of improvement in the amount of inflammation and I have very few actual pimples left. It's really just the terrible cysts that are all over my cheeks which are slowly shrinking. I'm starting a new birth control tonight called Vestura, the generic form of Yaz, which is one of the few birth controls that's FDA approved for acne. I'm a bit concerned, however, as I've read a lot of women say that they got an initial breakout when they first start a new bc. I reeeallly don't want that to happen seeing as how my face is just now starting to get better after a month of trying different products with not much success. I know not everyone gets an initial breakout, but I actually have been on the generic form of Yaz before, about a year ago, but decided to stop because I didn't feel I needed it. I do remember my skin being kind of bad for the first few months, but then getting a lot better. Do you think the epiduo gel and the Bactrim will prevent my skin getting worse again? Anyone who's experienced thing like this, your opinion would be much appreciated. Thanks.

MemberMember
(@lifelong-confusion)

Posted : 06/16/2014 3:18 am

I have been going through Yaz IB for 5 months now... lol. but it's getting a lot better. i consistenly get half as many big ones each month as i did the previous month. but the first 3 months were really horrible, with like no progress at all. I tried azelaic acid and other topicals but in my experience topicals do nothing for hormonal acne... it might bring down the inflammation and make it less likely to scar, but it won't prevent it or really make it go away faster.