Moisturizer Help Or...

Notifications
Clear all

Moisturizer Help Or Something Else

MemberMember
(@kokayne)

Posted : 06/10/2014 10:51 pm

So I have been using the regimen for a while now and it has definitely yielded results. I first used it once a day at night time and washed it off in the morning. This worked alright but didn't help nearly as much as I wanted it to so I switched to using the regimen twice a day as instructed.

This is fine except for one problem. The moisturizer makes my face shiny. I use cetaphil cleanser and the bp and moisturizer made by Dan and sold on this site.

Dan's moisturizer makes my face shiny and this is not ideal for me. As a male who works, plays sports, and engages in other social activities, I want my face to appear as normal as possible. My acne is not that bad anymore but the moisturizer making my face shiny is a problem.

I'm considering starting using minocycline which I have a prescription for and using the regimen only once a day (at night). I'm hoping that minocycline will be a good substitute for the 2nd dose of the regimen.

The problem is that I'm kind of turned off from minocycline due to the limits that it would put on me. Aside from a few days of side effects which I've read about, I also heard that you can not drink alcoholic beverages while on minocycline.

Since I plan to be on minocycline for an extended period of time (atleast a few months), that would be a problem for me because I like to go out and party with my friends.

i was wondering if there was an alternative moisturizer option that would make it less obvious that there is something on my face. Or if maybe minocycline is not as serious as all these reviews make it out to be.

Any advice would be amazing. I'm sure I'm not the only one experiencing this slight problem.

MemberMember
(@mms3192)

Posted : 06/11/2014 12:45 am

Well first of all, I know they say not to drink on many antibiotics. But I, myself was on doxycycline for my acne for the longest time and I still went out with my friends. I am in no way, shape, or form, advising you to go out and get wasted every night while taking minocycline but I really do believe that having some casual drinks every once in a while will not make a big difference. I was on minocycline when I was younger, and not able to drink, so I could not tell you how that would have effected me. The drinking while taking doxycycline had no effect on me at all and it still worked. Of course it worked for a few months and I gained a resistance as you do to all antibiotics. Then my acne came back, except it was a little worse than before I went on the antibiotic. All people are different but personally I would never go on an antibiotic again to treat my acne. I doesn't help in the long run and you only gain resistance over time. All people are different, so you may find a different out come. If you do decide to give it a try, and have drinks every once in a while, just make sure you are taking the medicine in the morning so it is not anywhere near your drinking time. Also when you are coming off of the antibiotic, do it slowly and start taking it every other day, then twice a week, and so forth..as well as have a probiotic on hand to start taking when you are done. Acidophillus is a good one.

As for the moisturizer, I honestly just started the regimen tonight. But I've done a lot of research and supposedly any moisturizer that doesn't clog pores and is gentle is fine to substitute for dan's moisturizer. Since I just started the regiment I wanted to start out using all of his products just to see what I think about each one. But before I was using cera ve and it is wonderful! They have an am facial moisturizer with spf and a pm without the spf. I have read that this is a popular choice by others to replace dan's moisturizer as well as cetaphil. So maybe give one of those a try! But I do recommend cera ve personally.

It is very good to hear that you have had great results with the regimen. Good luck!

MemberMember
(@anotherstar)

Posted : 06/11/2014 11:44 am

I second Cerave lotions. I alternate between the moisturizer, am and pm lotions depending on what I'm feeling. None of their stuff ever feels oily or greesy to me, even the heavy moisturizer which sinks in really fast. I just got my regimen kit too so I can't say I've used Dan's yet. I'm going to give it a go just because I ordered the whole kit. If I end up not liking it I'll use it as body lotion and continue with my Cerave.

Also if you're dealing with lots of oil and shine throughout the day.. I use to use those Clean and Clear oil blotting sheets, but I learned from makeupalley that if you use Starbuck's napkins (actually any napkin that doesn't have dyes in them) and use those to gently blot some oil off your face they work just as well. A bit weird but hey they work and they're free - totally take care of shine throughout the day. I also have a few in my purse in a little plastic baggie. Anywhoo just a tip, it would be easy to conceal those as a guy too as they're just napkins :P