Notifications
Clear all

Male - Folliculitis After Waxing My Body

MemberMember
(@max_yeah_true)

Posted : 06/10/2014 2:38 pm

I'm a hairy guy. So a week ago on Tuesday I decided to get my body waxed, except for arms and legs. Now, I haven't had much acne since I was like 17. Now I'm 19, almost 20. I still had some acne on my back and some on my buttocks, but nothing close to as much as I could have expected to have now.

A few days after waxing and suddenly I have maybe 1000 pimples covering my buttocks, a bit less on my back, and much less on my front. It's a week later and I still have them. It's as if I have a pimple for each hair that was ripped out. What the hell am I supposed to do about this? I can post pics if needed.

MemberMember
(@sky13)

Posted : 06/10/2014 2:41 pm

It may not be actual acne but razor bumps/burn. Whenever Ive got waxed sometimes I get bumps in every hair follicle its not acne but razor bumps. If you google it have a look if its similar to what yours looks like.

Have you got a wax before? When I first started I would get it really bad but the more I got waxed the less it happened.

MemberMember
(@max_yeah_true)

Posted : 06/10/2014 2:55 pm

Here's a photo of it... I don't think they are razor burns.

Note that you can see my bum cheeks, in case you are not comfortable with that

It is my first time waxing. I also find it odd that there aren't many pimples down the center of my back, while on the sides there are tons. To add, I've also been showering twice a day for the past few days because I go to the gym. Honestly, I regret waxing now. This is terrible.

MemberMember
(@shizach)

Posted : 06/10/2014 3:41 pm

Hi,

Your picture is upsetting. I can understand your frustration.

This looks like a follicular infection.

Over the counter Hibiclens might help.

A short course of antibiotics might be another option.

Keep your skin clean and wear loose fitting clothes if possible.

This should self resolve in time though.

MemberMember
(@paigems)

Posted : 06/10/2014 3:43 pm

That's not acne. It's an infection from the waxing. Here's an interesting thread:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11106

MemberMember
(@max_yeah_true)

Posted : 06/10/2014 3:49 pm

Well, I know many of the spots on my shoulders/upper back are acne. But it's just odd having so many on the sides of my lower back and my buttocks. They seem more like bumps than true acne. Who knows... I guess there's really not much I can do other than keep showering twice a day + using soap. I also use gold bond powder on my body afterwards.

I don't think it is folliculitis though. Pretty sure it's closer to acne. Or maybe it's a mix... who knows.

MemberMember
(@sky13)

Posted : 06/10/2014 8:02 pm

Hey yeah thats definitely not razor bumps from the looks of it. Firstly if it is an hair follicle infection I would suggest using an antibacterial body wash. When I suffered from a hair follicle infection the doctor told me to use Hibiscrub which is an antibacterial and antifungal skin cleanser. I know this is available where I live in the UK but I dont know about the USA. If not you could use a tea tree wash from the body shop (I currently use this just for its antibacterial properties.)

I would then say to visit your doctor as if it is infected you will require antibiotics to get rid of it. Also I would say to stay clear or waxing and look into other methods of hair removal maybe laser.

Also dont put any acne treating products on it until you have seen a doctor and found out if it is folliculitis or acne. By the looks of it I am prety sure it is folliculitis just because of how the whole area is affected which can happen easily during treatments like waxing.

MemberMember
(@tom-busby)

Posted : 06/10/2014 11:46 pm

The same thing happened to a guy I know -- first time he ever had his back waxed. He took antibiotics for 6 months and the condition got worse. Now he's using anti-fungal treatments and he's getting better, very slowly.

Folliculitis means only that these places (follicles) on your body that are irritated -- it's not a diagnosis of the causative agent.

Myself, I think the wax plugged up the hair follicles and the sweat glands, trapping fluids inside the dermis that are supposed to be on top of the stratum corneum. That idea probably doesn't solve anything, but perhaps it explains why anti-bacterial products don't do anything. Still, you can try Hibiclens, an OTC anti-bacterial in the US, and see what happens. Also try Nizoral 1% shampoo, web order only but an OTC in the US, and see what happens.

MemberMember
(@max_yeah_true)

Posted : 06/11/2014 6:27 am

Well, thanks for the advice everyone. I do sweat more than the average person to be honest. I'm definitely going to the doctor today.

MemberMember
(@max_yeah_true)

Posted : 06/11/2014 1:01 pm

Sure enough, the doctor diagnosed it as folliculitis :) . She prescribed me some doxycin to take over the next two weeks, as well as corticosteroid lotion. Hopefully it clears up soon! Then in a couple months I'll consider laser :)

MemberMember
(@sky13)

Posted : 06/11/2014 1:42 pm

Hey thought that would be the case! At least you know now that it isnt a huge acne breakout Im sure that will be a relief and now your treatment will help clear it all up!

MemberMember
(@max_yeah_true)

Posted : 06/11/2014 4:30 pm

Yup haha. I couldn't even fathom the idea of having so much acne all over again. Very glad. Thanks again everyone.

MemberMember
(@max_yeah_true)

Posted : 06/18/2014 4:23 pm

It hasn't improved yet... if anything it has spread a little more onto my upper arms it seems. This is a week later. I guess if it hasn't improved in a few days I'll go see the doctor again.

MemberMember
(@max_yeah_true)

Posted : 06/23/2014 12:19 pm

Doc put me on tetracycline now. Gonna book an appointment with the dermatologist though.

MemberMember
(@max_yeah_true)

Posted : 06/27/2014 8:39 am

Just got back from the dermatologist. He told me it will probably take 4-6 weeks for the folliculitis to clear with doxycin (twice a day now) and benzaclin at night. And he said the red dots would probably take a few months to go away. Fuck my life.

MemberMember
(@bonton)

Posted : 07/21/2014 6:34 pm

OP any updates? Its been almost a month, can you post a new pic?

MemberMember
(@max_yeah_true)

Posted : 08/09/2014 11:26 am

It seems to have stayed the same on areas where it was, but it has spread onto my legs and even on my face (thought it was just regular acne at first but saw my scalp had some red dots as well). Oh well. Trying to get an appointment with the dermatologist asap.

MemberMember
(@tom-busby)

Posted : 08/09/2014 10:41 pm

Sorry to hear that antibiotics are not helping, and seem to be making it worse. Has your doc ruled out a fungal reaction to the waxing? Itraconazole is the most effective systemic anti-fungal drug allowed in the US so you could ask for that and see what your doc says.

MemberMember
(@orlando158)

Posted : 08/10/2014 10:17 am

lol why did you wax, you should have known better

any person with acne should already know by default, that waxing shaving will only make it worse

MemberMember
(@max_yeah_true)

Posted : 08/14/2014 5:27 pm

Saw the dermatologist today and he put me on 2 weeks of amoxicillin 250mg, 3x a day (8 hours apart). Let's hope this works!

lol why did you wax, you should have known better

any person with acne should already know by default, that waxing shaving will only make it worse

You clearly can't read. I had moderate acne until I was like 17. I didn't have much acne at all before waxing.

edit: I want to add that after I waxed, some of the pimples on my upper back and butt were elevated - I could pick at them like regular acne - but now those areas don't have any actual acne/bumps, simply red dots that are pretty much flat on the skin. So I guess it did improve a bit, although didn't prevent the spreading to my legs and face which aren't actually thatt bad atm. It's not that noticeable.

I'm excited for when I do finally get rid of this because I forget what my body originally looked like I'm prepared for a big confidence boost.

MemberMember
(@user410314)

Posted : 08/14/2014 11:07 pm

Betty Lou's Bikini Bump Balm or the like should soothe it

MemberMember
(@max_yeah_true)

Posted : 09/01/2014 11:45 am

The 2 weeks of pills didn't seem to do anything. Back to the dermatologist tomorrow. This is just under 3 months now that I've had this... Hoping it's ALL gone by the new year at the very latest... Yes I'm patient.

MemberMember
(@bonton)

Posted : 09/01/2014 3:47 pm

I think I have the same issue, you can check my thread. I waxed my arms 4 years ago and since then my arms are full of bumps!

I also took doxycycline and I'm still taking it with no result! This month I'm going to the doctor again to change my treatment.

MemberMember
(@max_yeah_true)

Posted : 09/03/2014 6:13 am

I checked out your thread. My acne doesn't seem to be as bad as yours. Most of mine are older red dots which should fade with time however I have some that seem recent. The dermatologist told me to make an effort to note if any new acne comes up, to determine which antibiotics work best for me. I'm now on Protrin DF for 2 weeks. And of course only once I go to the pharmacy to pick up my prescription do I get told that I can't drink alcohol while I'm on this and university just started again -_-

MemberMember
(@max_yeah_true)

Posted : 09/18/2014 7:51 am

Looks like I'm staying on protrin df even though I wanted to get off of it (reasons to do with drinking alcohol), because my dermatologist thinks it's working as I don't have any new red dots since taking it. Pretty much all my pimples are flat on the skin now, so hopefully taking this for a few months will have everything gone by the new year. As for the drinking.. My liver can take the hit.