Notifications
Clear all

Can Fruit Cause Acne?

MemberMember
(@woah44)

Posted : 03/12/2014 9:00 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Tony and I'll just give some brief background information about myself. I think it's safe to say that I'm quite experienced with acne. I've been dealing with severe acne since the age of 15. I've undergone two treatments of accutane but it always comes back (although not as severe as it used to be).

But anyway, back to the main point. I've always been skeptical when people have told me to change my diet, mainly because the people that tell me this have clear skin and I feel like they have no idea what it feels like to actually be cursed with this disease. However, I noticed something that may have just changed my mind completely.

When I was young, I was very sensitive to fruit for some reason. My assumption is because I was very thin and I probably couldn't digest too much fructose. But just this past week, my roommate kept telling me how amazing avacado and kiwis were. Out of curiosity, I wanted to give kiwis another try...so I ate one. And just like that I fell in love (not really). However, over the past two days, I had probably eaten around 20 kiwis. They were just so good!

And then something happened. I started to break out a lot on my face, but I told myself awhile back that I would no longer let my acne control my life because it had ruined too much of it already. I thought nothing of it, thinking that it was probably just stress. But then I started to break out more...and then I got a huge cyst near my testicles and this one was HUGE. The size of this pimple was almost as big as when I had quarter sized cystic acne before I went on accutane. Then I got to thinking... COULD FOOD ALLERGIES BE THE CUPLRIT????

What are your thoughts and experiences on this?

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/12/2014 9:12 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Tony and I'll just give some brief background information about myself. I think it's safe to say that I'm quite experienced with acne. I've been dealing with severe acne since the age of 15. I've undergone two treatments of accutane but it always comes back (although not as severe as it used to be).

But anyway, back to the main point. I've always been skeptical when people have told me to change my diet, mainly because the people that tell me this have clear skin and I feel like they have no idea what it feels like to actually be cursed with this disease. However, I noticed something that may have just changed my mind completely.

When I was young, I was very sensitive to fruit for some reason. My assumption is because I was very thin and I probably couldn't digest too much fructose. But just this past week, my roommate kept telling me how amazing avacado and kiwis were. Out of curiosity, I wanted to give kiwis another try...so I ate one. And just like that I fell in love (not really). However, over the past two days, I had probably eaten around 20 kiwis. They were just so good!

And then something happened. I started to break out a lot on my face, but I told myself awhile back that I would no longer let my acne control my life because it had ruined too much of it already. I thought nothing of it, thinking that it was probably just stress. But then I started to break out more...and then I got a huge cyst near my testicles and this one was HUGE. The size of this pimple was almost as big as when I had quarter sized cystic acne before I went on accutane. Then I got to thinking... COULD FOOD ALLERGIES BE THE CUPLRIT????

What are your thoughts and experiences on this?

I wouldn't pay attention to the food allergies and acne part. The inflammatory chemicals involved are different, and a true allergy doesn't manifest as blackheads or long-lasting papules. I haven't seen any evidence that actual food allergies produce an "anti-bacterial" immune response.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 03/13/2014 8:11 am

Yes. It can. You can be intolerant to the fruit. I myself get severe cystic acne from citrus fruit. And they form the next day.

Then there's the glycemic impact of eating so much sugar. But that wouldn't directly cause acne to form. What it does is stimulate the various processes involved in acne such as the inflammation, & hormones that lead to acne, but it doesn't happen overnight. It's your routine diet habits that lead to acne.

The binge eating is more concerning to me. You do this often?Can you try having one or two of something rather than 10?