Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Holls77

Fraxel Laser scheduled

Greetings all, just wondering if anyone has tired the Fraxel laser yet?.. I'm having my first treatment next month with Dr. Kovak in Elmhurst, IL. He said this laser has been getting better results than the CO2 but I have my doubts. It's for a series of scars on my cheeks, I've had the Pulse Dye before with absolutely no results. My scars are hyperpigmented & slightly indented (over a large area). Just making sure this is worth my money & if anyone else has had any experience with the Fraxel laser.

Dear Holls,

I'm not sure what happened there, I didn't mean to quote you. Anyway, please keep us posted on your experience with the Fraxel laser. It supposedly has the downtime of a non-ablative laser but has the results of an ablative laser. I would be interested to know how it goes.

Hejira

Holls77, I hope it goes well for you. I am optimistic as far as these new lasers that make tiny zaps and leave spaces of healthy skin in between. This is the first one I have seen that is actually being used in study groups. Do let us know how things go if you can, and if you can get a copy of the research (if it’s ever published) and post it here I will be your best friend. smile.gif

http://www.reliant-tech.com/science/default.asp

Sounds promising. Please keep us posted.

As an aside, this isn't the same Doc who performed PDL on your atrophic scars is it? If it is, run fast and far. PDL is not used to treat atrophic scars.

Fraxel is the newest non-ablative laser to hit the market, so I think very few people have experienced it. I consider it similar to smoothbeam. Please let us now how it goes, and best of luck!

Dave - No it really didn't do much for my redness (the pulse dye) that's why I'm trying the Fraxel. I've tried just about everything on these scars so I thought I'd give the Fraxel a try. Only bad thing, like the majority of treatments, is that it takes 3-5 treatments before you can start to see improvement (at $350 a pop), my credit card will definitely be taking a hit! shock.gif

I'll keep everyone updated on my progess, please say a prayer & keep your fingers crossed for me, I'm at my wit's end here!

Some info on Fraxel, sounds promising.. -

Available soon in New Jersey at the Cosmetic Skin and Surgery Center, “The new Fraxel ™ laser�, says Dr. Rapaport, “combines the best of lasers technology with the science of dermatology.� The Fraxel Laser utilizes a new technology called Fractional Resurfacing. With Fractional Resurfacing Technology, only a fraction of the skin receives the laser light. The laser delivers a series of microscopic closely spaced laser spots to the skin while simultaneously preserving normal healthy skin between the laser spots. This preservation of healthy skin results in rapid healing following the laser treatment. The entire face can be treated with the laser in approximately 30 to 45 minutes. Side effects are minimal, usually swelling and redness, with little risk of infection or scarring.

As a cosmetic dermatologist, Dr. Rapaport says he's impressed with current clinical studies. "The results of healing photodamage and repairing the skin with the Fraxelâ„¢ treatment, without causing downtime, are unlike anything I've ever seen before." This new laser provides unprecedented treatment for fine lines and wrinkles, acne scars, surgical scars, stretch marks, and sun damage.

Clinical studies suggest that 3 to 4 treatments spaced about a week apart produce a gradual remodeling of dermal matrix components, firming collagen and elastin. A topical anesthetic is used prior to treatment, and for some patients, an oral medication as well. Treatments with the Fraxel SR laser have no significant recovery downtime. There is no need for pain medicine after the treatment, as any discomfort from the procedure is minimal. One can return to work immediately after their treatment or the next day, and can wear makeup. Patients have been very pleased with the improvement in their skin's appearance following the treatments.

Holls77, I just want to thank you for reminding me about this. I'd heard about it months ago, and it kind of slipped to the back of my mind. But the pictures are pretty impressive, I must say!

And, I've just found out the Key Laser Institute around the corner from my house now has this laser! I've scheduled a consult for Nov. 2 to see if they still would recommend excising my chicken pox scarring because I need to pay for that by Nov. 2.

But anyhow, I'm just curious....do you know what they are charging for each session at the place you are going? Here, they are asking $1,200 per session with 4-6 being recommended. So, basically it is like paying for a full face dermabrasion or any other full face resurfacing.

Anyhow, good luck with yours and yes, do let us know how it goes! biggrin.gif

Holls77, I just want to thank you for reminding me about this.  I'd heard about it months ago, and it kind of slipped to the back of my mind.  But the pictures are pretty impressive, I must say!

And, I've just found out the Key Laser Institute around the corner from my house now has this laser!  I've scheduled a consult for Nov. 2 to see if they still would recommend excising my chicken pox scarring because I need to pay for that by Nov. 2.

But anyhow, I'm just curious....do you know what they are charging for each session at the place you are going?  Here, they are asking $1,200 per session with 4-6 being recommended.  So, basically it is like paying for a full face dermabrasion or any other full face resurfacing.

Anyhow, good luck with yours and yes, do let us know how it goes! biggrin.gif

Smilingeyes -  Dr. Stanley Kovak in Elmhurst, IL is charging me $350 per session - I'm getting large areas on my cheeks done.  I think he's pretty reasonably priced, is the $1200 you are referring to for the full face?  Seems a little high..

dont get your hopes too high guys, it'll be interesting to see how this treatment turns out.

gd luck!

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

ah i should've found out about this before my trip to SF tonight.

1200 bux per session with no guarantee of improvements is too much for me... eek.gif

actually at this point i'm pretty happy just doing partial treatment (temples and right cheek).

It's funny I came across this site tonight, I just had my fifth Fraxel Laser treatment today with Dr. Fitzpatrick in La Jolla, CA. I started my treatment at the end of May and I have been getting treatments every month or so. Usually, patients will receive 4-6 treatments within a 4-6 week span, however, I am not a sun damaged sufferer nor do I have winkles, my problem is that I have pretty severe acne scars along my checks and chin. Dr. Fitzpatrick helped develop the Fraxel Laser at Reliant Technologies in San Diego and he is very confident that it is a breakthrough laser for ance scars. He is treating me monthly because I am a different type of patient than the others (sun damaged, etc.) who follow through with this treatment. Obviously nothing will perfect your scars 100%, I think all of us who suffer from these scars have come to terms with that, but I can really say that I have seen a difference in my skin over the last 6 months. I have a more even skin tone, whereas before, I was pretty red and blotchy. I feel that my scars are not as deep, I wear way less makeup, and where I did have minor sun damage and dark scars, I am pretty clear. And this is just the beginning because you see minimal results immediately after treatment, but full results appear gradually over 4-6 months. Overall, I am pretty happy with it. You definitely need to be patient with this procedure and as far as costs go, this laser treatment is not nearly as expensive as other treatments and the price is only going to rise because it has had awesome results.

As far as the procedure and pain and so on, it varies. Each treatment has felt totally different from the last. The first treatment, very little pain...I barely felt it. Second and third time, it was pretty painful. Fourth and fifth time, it was mild. My Doctor does about 2-3 passes over my face with different intensities. The first pass feels like nothing because of the numbing cream but on the second and third passes you can feel the laser. The hardest part of the procedure is getting the damn blue ink off your face! I still have a little blue tint to my face and some spots, but it will wash off tonight. I had the treatment at 9am this morning and plan on going to work at 6:30am tomorrow. I am usually red and slightly swollen immediately after the treatment, but it's nothing to write home about, it goes away within the first few hours. And, that is about it. This reply HAS to answer most questions!:)

It's funny I came across this site tonight, I just had my fifth Fraxel Laser treatment today with Dr. Fitzpatrick in La Jolla, CA.  I started my treatment at the end of May and I have been getting treatments every month or so.  Usually, patients will receive 4-6 treatments within a 4-6 week span, however, I am not a sun damaged sufferer nor do I have winkles, my problem is that I have pretty severe acne scars along my checks and chin.  Dr. Fitzpatrick helped develop the Fraxel Laser at Reliant Technologies in San Diego and he is very confident that it is a breakthrough laser for ance scars.  He is treating me monthly because I am a different type of patient than the others (sun damaged, etc.) who follow through with this treatment.  Obviously nothing will perfect your scars 100%, I think all of us who suffer from these scars have come to terms with that, but I can really say that I have seen a difference in my skin over the last 6 months.  I have a more even skin tone, whereas before, I was pretty red and blotchy.  I feel that my scars are not as deep, I wear way less makeup, and where I did have minor sun damage and dark scars, I am pretty clear.  And this is just the beginning because you see minimal results immediately after treatment, but full results appear gradually over 4-6 months.  Overall, I am pretty happy with it.  You definitely need to be patient with this procedure and as far as costs go, this laser treatment is not nearly as expensive as other treatments and the price is only going to rise because it has had awesome results.

As far as the procedure and pain and so on, it varies.  Each treatment has felt totally different from the last.  The first treatment, very little pain...I barely felt it.  Second and third time, it was pretty painful.  Fourth and fifth time, it was mild.  My Doctor does about 2-3 passes over my face with different intensities.  The first pass feels like nothing because of the numbing cream but on the second and third passes you can feel the laser.  The hardest part of the procedure is getting the damn blue ink off your face!  I still have a little blue tint to my face and some spots, but it will wash off tonight.  I had the treatment at 9am this morning and plan on going to work at 6:30am tomorrow.  I am usually red and slightly swollen immediately after the treatment, but it's nothing to write home about, it goes away within the first few hours.  And, that is about it.  This reply HAS to answer most questions!:)

When I called down to Dr. Fitzpatrick's office for a price check, they also quoted me $1,200 for full-face, same as up here.

However, my hubby thought that was pretty high as well and has since negotiated them down if we pre-pay for a couple of treatments. After 3 treatments the price goes down $300 anyhow, but anything we can save will be good because it is pricey. He just called.

According to my doc, its not necessary to do the treatments a week apart. Because they wanted to get the laser on the market, they did them that closely, but he said you can get the same results even if you do them a month apart, same as the smoothbeam laser. Supposedly, he has a client who is flying in from Alaska (wow, can you imagine????) for treatments.

Dr. Fitzpatrick is charging me $500/treatment, however, I am not receiving a full-face treatment. I know his prices have increased over the last six months...he is charging around $1,000-$1,200 now, PER TREATMENT! Crazy! Again, this laser has had some awesome results! When I have waited in the "SMURF ROOM" (the waiting area for all laser patients with blue on their face), a lot of women have been traveling far and wide for this Fraxel Laser and for Dr. Fitzpatrick himself. Durring my first visit, I saw some ladies getting their legs done for sun damage!

To answer the question about the Fraxel Laser and acne scarring, you are right, there hasn't been a study done on the Fraxel's success with acne scarring, but according to Dr. Fitzpatrick, usually lasers that are successful at treating sun damaged skin are highly effective in treating acne scarred skin. Remember, this laser didn't get FDA approved until July...it still has a ways to go. The Fraxel is my very first treatment for my skin. The biggest improvement so far is that my skin is more even toned. I wear extremely less makeup and I am getting more comfortable with not having makeup on. I have notice improvement with my rolling acne scars, they are not nearly as deep as before but again, it takes some time to see a durastic changes.

All in all, I love Dr. Fitzpatrick and his practice. I think he is a great Doctor. not many Doctors enjoy or even treat acne scarred skin, but he is comfortable and confident with the Fraxel and is very familiar with this laser.

Elmhurst IL what a small world i live at elmhurst IL where is Dr Kovak clinic located in elmhurst?? i hope that thing go well and please keep us updated.

It's funny I came across this site tonight, I just had my fifth Fraxel Laser treatment today with Dr. Fitzpatrick in La Jolla, CA.  I started my treatment at the end of May and I have been getting treatments every month or so.  Usually, patients will receive 4-6 treatments within a 4-6 week span, however, I am not a sun damaged sufferer nor do I have winkles, my problem is that I have pretty severe acne scars along my checks and chin.  Dr. Fitzpatrick helped develop the Fraxel Laser at Reliant Technologies in San Diego and he is very confident that it is a breakthrough laser for ance scars.  He is treating me monthly because I am a different type of patient than the others (sun damaged, etc.) who follow through with this treatment.  Obviously nothing will perfect your scars 100%, I think all of us who suffer from these scars have come to terms with that, but I can really say that I have seen a difference in my skin over the last 6 months.  I have a more even skin tone, whereas before, I was pretty red and blotchy.  I feel that my scars are not as deep, I wear way less makeup, and where I did have minor sun damage and dark scars, I am pretty clear.  And this is just the beginning because you see minimal results immediately after treatment, but full results appear gradually over 4-6 months.  Overall, I am pretty happy with it.  You definitely need to be patient with this procedure and as far as costs go, this laser treatment is not nearly as expensive as other treatments and the price is only going to rise because it has had awesome results.

As far as the procedure and pain and so on, it varies.  Each treatment has felt totally different from the last.  The first treatment, very little pain...I barely felt it.  Second and third time, it was pretty painful.  Fourth and fifth time, it was mild.  My Doctor does about 2-3 passes over my face with different intensities.  The first pass feels like nothing because of the numbing cream but on the second and third passes you can feel the laser.  The hardest part of the procedure is getting the damn blue ink off your face!  I still have a little blue tint to my face and some spots, but it will wash off tonight.  I had the treatment at 9am this morning and plan on going to work at 6:30am tomorrow.  I am usually red and slightly swollen immediately after the treatment, but it's nothing to write home about, it goes away within the first few hours.  And, that is about it.  This reply HAS to answer most questions!:)

I just got back from an appointment with Dr. Moy at UCLA Medical Center. I went to see him about getting some injectionables done (I was thinking Restylane). He recommended Hylaform which apparently is pretty close to Restylane. Anyway, while I was there he was really pushing the FRAXEL laser. Apparently Moy has many lasers and likes this one a lot. He gave the ptich that it's between CO2 and Smoothbeam - nonablative but with ablative effects. It sounds very interesting and I've visited the website, but I'm just not sure how effective it will be for acne scars (I've got many kinds - many small icepicks, enlarged pores and rolling).

The thing is - if it doesn't damage the skin even as much as Smoothbeam, how can it really improve the scars? FYI - I've had 7 Smoothbeam treatments at "14" and have seen fairly good improvement (I'd say if varies depending on the scar, but generally 30% to 60%) Moy seem pretty "cool" towards Smoothbeam like he thought it really did very minimal improvements.

Moy charges $900 per FRAXEL treatment (full face) and requires 4 treatments.

I thought that sounded pretty high at the time, but I suppose that's in the ballpark. I'd like to find someone in Los Angeles or San Diego who charges less and if anyone hears of someone, please post and I'll do the same.

FYI - Moy has not done any FRAXEL laser treatment on acne scars yet and I think it's early to determine just how effective FRAXEL will be. However, it does sound promising especially for those of us who do not want a treatment that's invasive.

If any improvement can be had with FRAXEL I will probably end up doing it. It just seems a high price to pay for currently unknown results. Lets all keep each other posted on any news or word about results. Thanks!

Guest ObiWontonKenoli

If I really think about it....$900/treatment,

I might gamble for another four treatments with Smoothbeam for $250 each.

I've done six so far and you can check the improvement since last year (in the gallery). I don't know how much Smoothbeam can claim credit on the improvements, but I'd like to think probably about 20-30% at least for my jaw area.

If I really think about it....$900/treatment,

I might gamble for another four treatments with Smoothbeam for $250 each.

I've done six so far and you can check the improvement since last year (in the gallery). I don't know how much Smoothbeam can claim credit on the improvements, but I'd like to think probably about 20-30% at least for my jaw area.