Notifications
Clear all

A New Outlook

MemberMember
(@faithhope)

Posted : 03/04/2014 5:31 pm

Okay, before I get into what I'm getting into, let me apologize. I apologize for my highly unorganized post and any punctuation, grammar errors that I might make.

Okay so an update on me. I don't really get on here anymore, because this website is extremely depressing and every corner you turn hope is lost. It's depressing and negative and my brain seems to put more emphasis on the sad stores and look over the positive ones, or at least that is how I used to be. Now, I only acknowledge the positive things in life. I let the negatives of others and my surroundings go right though me. I still have some scars, but I would like to add that I am achieving great results I am dermastamping every 3 weeks. I don't care if some people think that's too soon, I know myself better than you do. Plus, I'm saving tons of money & doing something about what I consider "my problem". I plan on having a couple fat transfers when I get the money up.

This website has a bunch of people that lecture people & I do not like that. I don't like being told what I should eat and what I shouldn't. I don't like being told what I should do & when I should do it or who I should do it by. I do appreciate advice, but please do not act like "your way" is better than "my way." I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about here. Different people do different things, that's what makes us unique.

However all of this on this website have many things in common, but we only are focusing on one here, okay maybe two. That is acne & acne scars. Do you realize what we have done here? We have felt "alone" and we have all subconsciously seeked out people that we can relate to, that have the same problem as we do without realizing we needed someone to talk to, vent with, etc. With that being said, for months I spent waaaaaaaaaaaay too much time on this damn site, it is a good site, don't get me wrong, but we need to live life. This should not be a hobby. I have seen people on here that quit their jobs to commit to fixing their scars, who drop out of school because of acne. Don't let this little problem stand in your way. One of your biggest problems is your mindset. You are being selfish really. You're hurting yourself.

You know that little voice in your head? The one that tries to ruin your fun when you're having a good time? The one who tells you you're ugly? Well, I dare you to challenge that voice. Challenge yourself. Get out of the house, have fun and do things with friends. Meet new people. Volunteer. Make goals. Get a degree. Hit the gym. Exercise. Drop the friends in your life that bring you down. Seriously, if you hang out with people that are constantly negative, conceited, rude, anything that doesn't suit your liking, drop those people. Simple as that. If it's your family bringing you down, fire back.

Find & surround yourself with people & animals (if you like animals). Surround yourself with people that give you a "high", people that make you happy, people you're comfortable around.

I know what you're probably thinking. Shut up already. That will never work. I've tried it. I'm still unhappy. Boo hoo. Well take my post to your head, because it's backed by my personal experience & I have been through a lot this past year. Things that I would never want to go through again, my worst nightmares, waaaaaay worse than acne, wayyyyy worse than acne scars. People have different problems, people go through different things. I'm dealing the cards I was dealt.

I'm proud to say that I have finally changed my perspective on life. I go to the gym, I volunteer, I graduate college this year, I'm going back to college for more education. I finally got a good paying job. I'm dermastamping & saving money + getting results !.

I encourage you all to analyze how you're feeling on a daily basis, what you're doing, who you're around, your goals, your future, (how you picture your future), seek counseling/therapy. Don't focus so much on what you're eating & all these other crazy methods that these people on here suggest. Which could lead to bigger problems than you've ever imagined, trust ME!

Do what moves you, do what makes you happy. Don't allow yourself to feel like a victim in this world. That will only bring you down. Why are you fighting yourself? Be your own best friend. Build yourself up. Don't let anyone bring you down. People can be shallow, I understand, but realize you are something greater. Quit using acne, acne scars to find people you can relate to. Of course that's the only thing you will have in common if that's what you choose, but it's a silly one. If you want to put all of your focus on such a negative thing go for it. However, I highly suggest that you have a greater purpose in life. Find your purpose. Go soul searching. Pray to whatever God you believe in, but most of all start accepting yourself. You are beautiful, you are alive, you are human & you are strong.

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/04/2014 6:14 pm

I'll just break up my responses for your convenience.

Okay so an update on me. I don't really get on here anymore, because this website is extremely depressing and every corner you turn hope is lost. It's depressing and negative and my brain seems to put more emphasis on the sad stores and look over the positive ones, or at least that is how I used to be. <blockquote>

MemberMember
(@faithhope)

Posted : 03/04/2014 7:03 pm

Well I'm glad someone took the time to read it, so thank you. :) It's just all the random thoughts and viewpoints that float around in my mind. ( which is highly chaotic) lol About the negative reviews, what I mean by that is that most people don't jump on the computer to share positive experiences that are relative to situations that people experience on here. Many of them that have had positive results with anything, have either: never joined this site or never get back on and update people. When you take all of the bad experiences people have and put them on a place like this, it's going to make it out to be like there is no hope. There is so much more good in the world and good experiences than bad.

& Yeah I have read where one guy did it with an individual needle once a week. Then some dermaroll a few times a week. Others say wait three months, so that you don't damage the collagen that's forming. Who knows really. I have just been doing whats working for me. A month seems too long, 1-2 weeks seems to soon (personal opinion), but 3 weeks seems just right. lol

About the lecturing, I just get tired when I post something and someone says "well make sure you're eating right." I have even seen some posts that laugh and say other people deserve acne and it's the individual's fault for the way he/she eats. I see a lot of emphasis put on food on this site, and it's just not the case for me at all. I have tried eating extremely healthy for extended periods of time and it never worked, actually my acne got waay worse. I have tried keeping a food chart and everything, no correlations. What I surprisingly found out is that when I eat fast food all of the time (when I don't have to cook or worry about cooking) my acne basically clears up. It's crazy actually. A lot of my acne is mood related, I don't want to say hormone, but it's more moods. I say mood, because my mood affects my hormones.

& You're definitely right, too many people state their opinions as if they are factual. That bothers me. Even scientist don't know the "cures" to many things. I am one of those "weird" people who believe the psychological state and life views are the main reason behind many diseases.

& What I mean by selfishness, is that we are being selfish to ourselves. We aren't showing the world, our friends, our family what we are really capable of. All of the people I have came across on this site are extremely smart, funny, nice, caring, not shallow. The world needed more people like us really. (Not trying to sound conceited) But I'm just saying it's selfish to focus on a problem like this, waste all of your energy when there are so many other, better things you can be doing for yourself, for your family, your friends, people, the world.

& Yeah, I didn't analyze my life for long, before I realized I needed to make some major changes. The first change was moving & buying a house closer to my family. The second was finding ways to express my creativity. The 3rd was limiting my time on the internet and Facebook. The 4th was getting motivated, finding an outlet for stress (the gym, volunteering). I began setting goals and making life changes that would make me happier in the long run.

Yeah, I have only taken one psychology class, but I really think it's important. I don't really think one needs to take a class to understand it, but maybe read up a little about it online or something.

Sorry for all of the &s haha. Thanks for reading my post! :) Hope you have a great night, have to go. My kid is yelling at me . lol

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/04/2014 7:39 pm

Well I'm glad someone took the time to read it, so thank you. It's just all the random thoughts and viewpoints that float around in my mind. ( which is highly chaotic) lol </blockquote>

Everyone sounds smarter and coherent in writing, because we can actually take the time to edit and reorganize. ๐Ÿ˜‰

About the negative reviews, what I mean by that is that most people don't jump on the computer to share positive experiences that are relative to situations that people experience on here. Many of them that have had positive results with anything, have either: never joined this site or never get back on and update people. When you take all of the bad experiences people have and put them on a place like this, it's going to make it out to be like there is no hope. There is so much more good in the world and good experiences than bad. </blockquote>

That's true! Then you get a bunch of contradictory answers. Oh, "don't apply that topical--IT'S TOXIC!" or "No, it's fine!" It makes me question those who post one positive or negative experience and never come back. It's scary how some of the "really negative" threads have more than 200 pages!

& Yeah I have read where one guy did it with an individual needle once a week. Then some dermaroll a few times a week. Others say wait three months, so that you don't damage the collagen that's forming. Who knows really. I have just been doing whats working for me. A month seems too long, 1-2 weeks seems to soon (personal opinion), but 3 weeks seems just right. lol </blockquote>

Dermarolling is very technique dependent. The most effective technique for dermarolling makes your skin look like this at first. (You need to scroll down a bit to see the gallery: http://www.ebmedicalspa.com/Microneedling-and-dermarolling.html ).

About the lecturing, I just get tired when I post something and someone says "well make sure you're eating right." I have even seen some posts that laugh and say other people deserve acne and it's the individual's fault for the way he/she eats. I see a lot of emphasis put on food on this site, and it's just not the case for me at all. I have tried eating extremely healthy for extended periods of time and it never worked, actually my acne got waay worse. I have tried keeping a food chart and everything, no correlations. What I surprisingly found out is that when I eat fast food all of the time (when I don't have to cook or worry about cooking) my acne basically clears up. It's crazy actually. A lot of my acne is mood related, I don't want to say hormone, but it's more moods. I say mood, because my mood affects my hormones. <blockquote>

I really don't like the fanatical undercurrent for the diet-acne connection. Yes, I've had some very snide and nasty comments directed at me for "bashing" the "wisdom" here. I've said a few times there's no conclusive proof if diet is related to acne, let alone which diet is best. I find it really frustrating and ironic for some to discredit a negative experience while extolling a positive one. As if one's anecdotal experience is inherently better than another one's.

& You're definitely right, too many people state their opinions as if they are factual. That bothers me. Even scientist don't know the "cures" to many things. I am one of those "weird" people who believe the psychological state and life views are the main reason behind many diseases. <blockquote>

What gets me is that some here say that they were "right all along" when scientists prove something. That's not how science, let alone the null hypothesis, works.

& What I mean by selfishness, is that we are being selfish to ourselves. We aren't showing the world, our friends, our family what we are really capable of. All of the people I have came across on this site are extremely smart, funny, nice, caring, not shallow. The world needed more people like us really. (Not trying to sound conceited) But I'm just saying it's selfish to focus on a problem like this, waste all of your energy when there are so many other, better things you can be doing for yourself, for your family, your friends, people, the world. <blockquote>

Thanks for clarifying. Maybe you should've picked a word other than selfish. ๐Ÿ˜‰ "Foolish, naive" and "clouded judgement" would've sufficed. ๐Ÿ˜›

& Yeah, I didn't analyze my life for long, before I realized I needed to make some major changes. The first change was moving & buying a house closer to my family. The second was finding ways to express my creativity. The 3rd was limiting my time on the internet and Facebook. The 4th was getting motivated, finding an outlet for stress (the gym, volunteering). I began setting goals and making life changes that would make me happier in the long run. <blockquote>

Yay! Some of those are my goals, too, particularly limiting time on the Internet. Well, maybe I can't, simply because I need to help people. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Yeah, I have only taken one psychology class, but I really think it's important. I don't really think one needs to take a class to understand it, but maybe read up a little about it online or something.

Sorry for all of the &s haha. Thanks for reading my post! Hope you have a great night, have to go. My kid is yelling at me . lol

Psychology is invaluable. It's really difficult to emphasize this online. You can even save lots of money on this for not falling for the gimmicks!

It's okay! I'm a little lazy in typing too, though I try not to be. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I hope you have a great time too with your kid! ๐Ÿ˜€

MemberMember
(@bubbles55)

Posted : 03/05/2014 1:47 am

There is an enormous amount of victim blaming on this site which is I suspect about control. The obsession around healthy eating, meticulous skin care ect. on this website comes from an absolute desperate need for control. They can't accept it as a genetic disease because it's much easier to accept acne as a plague of bad western eating because it makes them feel as though they have control over themselves, their skin and their entire life.

For years I've been looking for this "control" and went to insane lengths to achieve it, but it still remains elusive.

goodz19 liked
MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 03/06/2014 1:48 am

There is an enormous amount of victim blaming on this site which is I suspect about control. The obsession around healthy eating, meticulous skin care ect. on this website comes from an absolute desperate need for control. They can't accept it as a genetic disease because it's much easier to accept acne as a plague of bad western eating because it makes them feel as though they have control over themselves, their skin and their entire life.

For years I've been looking for this "control" and went to insane lengths to achieve it, but it still remains elusive.

Exactly! And don't forget about the powerful placebo effect!