Notifications
Clear all

Adapalene Cream (0.1%) Or Panoxyl Foaming Wash (10%)

MemberMember
(@happysunny)

Posted : 02/24/2014 12:52 pm

Hello!

I've read some of these posts before but now I have a question that has not already been answered here. I'm 16 and I have what I think is moderate acne. I just started my period over the summer and suddenly have bad skin, when it used to be pretty much completely clear. I usually get spots (and have old red marks...) on my cheeks, chin, and jawline now and it really doesn't look nice.

So, I decided to go to the dermatologist 3 months ago where he gave me "Adapalene cream 0.1%" to use at night. I've been using Cetaphil face wash and Cetaphil moisturizer along with the Adapalene for 3 months now... And the results haven't gotten to where I thought they should at this point. I still get zits in the normal areas and have red marks that are left behind.

Now, I also have very little chest and back acne, so he told me to buy some PanOxyl 10% acne foaming wash to use on affected areas while showering. Interestingly, my back and chest are completely clear and glowing. This is where I've been using PanOxyl!

After this realization, I'm kind of excited and I want to try PanOxyl 10% foaming wash on my face. So, my question is can I use this product on my face along with the Adapalene 0.1% cream and Cetaphil moisturizer? I've gotten so far along (3 months) with the Adapalene so I don't want to ditch it now. Instead, I want to try the two products together. Will this irritate my skin and make the acne worse?

Let me know, thanks! :)

HappySunny

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/24/2014 6:00 pm

Hello!

I've read some of these posts before but now I have a question that has not already been answered here. I'm 16 and I have what I think is moderate acne. I just started my period over the summer and suddenly have bad skin, when it used to be pretty much completely clear. I usually get spots (and have old red marks...) on my cheeks, chin, and jawline now and it really doesn't look nice.

So, I decided to go to the dermatologist 3 months ago where he gave me "Adapalene cream 0.1%" to use at night. I've been using Cetaphil face wash and Cetaphil moisturizer along with the Adapalene for 3 months now... And the results haven't gotten to where I thought they should at this point. I still get zits in the normal areas and have red marks that are left behind.

Now, I also have very little chest and back acne, so he told me to buy some PanOxyl 10% acne foaming wash to use on affected areas while showering. Interestingly, my back and chest are completely clear and glowing. This is where I've been using PanOxyl!

After this realization, I'm kind of excited and I want to try PanOxyl 10% foaming wash on my face. So, my question is can I use this product on my face along with the Adapalene 0.1% cream and Cetaphil moisturizer? I've gotten so far along (3 months) with the Adapalene so I don't want to ditch it now. Instead, I want to try the two products together. Will this irritate my skin and make the acne worse?

Let me know, thanks!

HappySunny

10% benzoyl peroxide is quite high, and even though it's a wash, it can cause excessive redness and dryness.

Have you considered using glycolic acid and/or salicylic acid in the morning for your face?

MemberMember
(@happysunny)

Posted : 02/24/2014 6:11 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I realize that it's pretty strong, but my back and chest could handle it. So maybe my face could?

And I used to use Neutrogena scrubs with salicylic acid when I was completely pimple-free. Those were the days...

Anyway, I might try out glycolic acid. How does it compare to PanOxyl? Also, could I use either of these with the Adapalene cream 0.1% I am using now?

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@michelle-reece)

Posted : 02/24/2014 6:26 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I realize that it's pretty strong, but my back and chest could handle it. So maybe my face could?

And I used to use Neutrogena scrubs with salicylic acid when I was completely pimple-free. Those were the days...

Anyway, I might try out glycolic acid. How does it compare to PanOxyl? Also, could I use either of these with the Adapalene cream 0.1% I am using now?

Thanks!

You're welcome!

The back can generally tolerate harsher topicals than the face because the face has thinner skin in some areas, and the skin around the jaw takes longer to heal. So, you have to be careful.

I'd say that benzoyl peroxide is stronger than glycolic acid, but glycolic acid is more tolerable. 10% glycolic acid works well against mild acne. Glycolic acid and/or salicylic acid is often used with retinoid treatment.

You can get away with applying 10% glycolic acid in the morning, but you must diligently apply SPF 30+ sunscreen daily. Watch out for excessive irritation and dryness and discontinue if it becomes too bothersome.