Notifications
Clear all

What Happens To Your Body When You Have Your 'pill-Period?'

MemberMember
(@missc1990)

Posted : 01/08/2014 12:45 pm

Hey guys!

I noticed that every time I have my pill break and I start bleeding (I take my last pill on tuesday and start bleeding on sunday) my skin is perfectly clear on sunday/monday and after that it gradually starts to get oily again and I will develop new whiteheads. Does anyone know what happens to your body - hormonal wise - when you have your pill break? I'm on a pill called mercilon (ethinylestradiol 0,02 / desogestrel richter 0,15 mg).

Oh and this pill is not doing great things for my skin... still very oily and still get a lot of black - and whiteheads or bigger pimples on my back.

Thanks!!

MemberMember
(@jlcampi)

Posted : 01/08/2014 10:31 pm

Hey guys!

I noticed that every time I have my pill break and I start bleeding (I take my last pill on tuesday and start bleeding on sunday) my skin is perfectly clear on sunday/monday and after that it gradually starts to get oily again and I will develop new whiteheads. Does anyone know what happens to your body - hormonal wise - when you have your pill break? I'm on a pill called mercilon (ethinylestradiol 0,02 / desogestrel richter 0,15 mg).

Oh and this pill is not doing great things for my skin... still very oily and still get a lot of black - and whiteheads or bigger pimples on my back

Thanks!!

Estradiol and progesterone drop just before menses.

When estradiol drops you loose it neutralizing effects on testosterone. This has a net effect of potentiating androgens.

BC also suppresses the signal from your brain that causes ovulation to occur. This also decreases testosterone.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 01/08/2014 10:48 pm

Hey guys!

Oh and this pill is not doing great things for my skin... still very oily and still get a lot of black - and whiteheads or bigger pimples on my back.

Thanks!!

Hi! Good question-- I think a lot of girls wonder about this.

On the first day of your period, your estrogen and testosterone levels are low. As your period progresses, your estrogen and testosterone levels gradually increase. Testosterone causes oiliness in the skin-- which means more clogged pores. So, when it rises (and it's really high during this time!!), you get oily and more whiteheads. Progesterone levels also play a role in your acne production-- and their levels are usually similar to estrogen levels.

Note: This is a really simplified version of what really happens...but it's a good overview!

I'm on the Beyaz birth control, and it does a good job of making my androgens (testosterone is an androgen) lower/unusable. My skin is significantly less oily. I also recently started Spironolactone (it's also an anti-androgen) so that during my period, my body isn't able to "use" my testosterone. Hope this helped!

MemberMember
(@missc1990)

Posted : 01/09/2014 7:41 am

Thank you girls, makes sense now! I don't seem to have significant more acne in my pill stop... I just noticed that I was completely clear when my period starts or when I'm at the first day of period.

I'm planning on weaning off birth control soon, but I was diagnosed with pcos in 2009 or 10. I had ovarian cysts, terrible acne and super oily skin. By that time I stopped taking diane 35 without weaning off and I was under major stress that time. I read somewhere that excessive stress can cause people pcos or hormonal imbalance. Don't know exactly if that's my case, but it's likely because I never had more stress in my life than at that point.

I think it's fair to assume that I'm testosterone sensitive or naturally high in it (my levels got tested after 4 days of starting diane again, and they said my levels weren't elevated. not convinced here). Soooo, after quitting BCP I wanna take a supplement or herb that is going to promote ovulating and having peroids by myself again (last time I quit the pill nothing happend!). I read about how vitex and dim can cause excessive free testosterone, and that sounds like bad news for me. While on the pill, I tried taking DIM once and it broke me out big time! I also tried maca powder and it caused the same problems as DIM.

I know this is a complex question, but I guess I would just ask! wink.png I know there's a chance that I would have to get back on BCP, but I really want to try the natural way very soon.

By the way... if I would say to people that I suffer from acne they would just look at my face and laugh at me ('there's nothing going on there silly!'). I know right now my acne is only blackhead and whitehead-ish - which is luckily harder to notice - but it's there and I know that any little hormonal change would break me out, like what happend when I tried DIM. But I just don't want to believe yet that anti-androgens and birth control pills are my only options. I already improved my diet, which I can see through it, but it's not doing the trick.

Looking for your help here smart beautiful ladies! :)

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 01/09/2014 10:43 am

I also tried maca powder and broke out like crazy back in July. Ehh, bad news. Of course, I went crazy and was taking Saw Palmetto, Maca, Borage Oil, Vitamin D and Zinc all at once. Kinda insane. haha

If you want to go down the natural route, you could look at Saw Palmetto. It's a natural anti-androgen-- but not as strong as Spironolactone or a birth control.

Since you've been diagnosed with PCOS, you could benefit from something called inositol-- a natural occuring chemical that can reduce free and total testosterone and help with any insulin resistance you may have as a result of PCOS. In fact, since you'd been diagnosed, I'd say that Inositol would be your best bet-- I think a few people here have used it-- I know that WishClean is clear or clearing from it. She quoted recently:

"In my opinion and based on my experience & research, [inositol is] the least harmful supplement you can take for hormonal acne and it works without side effects. I wouldn't gamble with saw palmetto at this point, much less birth control."

Research inositol a little bit and see if it would be right for you. The studies that have been done on it say that d-chiro-inositol is what is effective in PCOS patients. I think you can get it at any health or vitamin shop-- or online.

Anyway, you don't have to convince me that any kind of acne is frustrating and potentially life-changing! haha, even if people tell you that you don't have much of it, I know that it still affects self-esteem and you still want it gone, dangit! tongue.png

Take a look at this:

That's one of WishClean's logs. She also has PCOS and has taken vitex, so definitely give that a read!

MemberMember
(@missc1990)

Posted : 01/10/2014 1:51 am

Yeah I've talked to her already! I will definitely be weaning of BCP - not stop cold turkey - so I'm also able to see how my skin adjusts. If it get's instantly much worse than I think it's not going to be a good idea to stop at all. I don't wanna spend my life on stressing badly on my skin. I'm only 23 years old and single and I'm not going to stay home and feel ugly because of my skin which I can fix to stay on BCP... I know I have to come off eventually, but than that will be whenever I want kids.

I think I'll be going with inositol as well. Don't know about the insulin resistance, but I'm really thin so is that even possible? My skin does react to sugar... Eating an entire chocolat bar is not going to do any good. It will break me out big time, because I've tested this several times while being on diane 35. Right now, I try to stay to whole food, fruits and veggies and that's really fine. Still eat my whole grain bread too and it doesn't break me out. I on purpose said try, because it's really hard for me to not eat cookies and stuff. I try to bake my own cookies, but they don't nearly taste as good as the processed ones! Lol. Gotta find a solution for that. I'm just sweeting my cookies with raisins/other dried fruit or palm sugar. My skin reacts fine to this!

I know right... any little bump is frustating! It's frustating because you know when you make some hormonal adjustment your face will likely to explode again! That's kind of the biggest problem that I have with it. It would be fine of my skin would just stay this way, as nobody is perfect! But I just know it won't be and it will take some adjustments to make it right again... jep frustating.

I will definitely check out on her post! Thank you so much

Oh and another quick question! Last summer I got infected with salmonella and that's where my irritateable bowel started... ever since I'm having gut troubles. Anyone know a supplement that might work for me? I get cramps and have a LOT of bowel movements per day (they take up to 6 times.. not even real diarrhea)

MemberMember
(@jlcampi)

Posted : 01/10/2014 11:29 pm

Yeah I've talked to her already! I will definitely be weaning of BCP - not stop cold turkey - so I'm also able to see how my skin adjusts. If it get's instantly much worse than I think it's not going to be a good idea to stop at all. I don't wanna spend my life on stressing badly on my skin. I'm only 23 years old and single and I'm not going to stay home and feel ugly because of my skin which I can fix to stay on BCP... I know I have to come off eventually, but than that will be whenever I want kids.

I think I'll be going with inositol as well. Don't know about the insulin resistance, but I'm really thin so is that even possible? My skin does react to sugar... Eating an entire chocolat bar is not going to do any good. It will break me out big time, because I've tested this several times while being on diane 35. Right now, I try to stay to whole food, fruits and veggies and that's really fine. Still eat my whole grain bread too and it doesn't break me out. I on purpose said try, because it's really hard for me to not eat cookies and stuff. I try to bake my own cookies, but they don't nearly taste as good as the processed ones! Lol. Gotta find a solution for that. I'm just sweeting my cookies with raisins/other dried fruit or palm sugar. My skin reacts fine to this!

I know right... any little bump is frustating! It's frustating because you know when you make some hormonal adjustment your face will likely to explode again! That's kind of the biggest problem that I have with it. It would be fine of my skin would just stay this way, as nobody is perfect! But I just know it won't be and it will take some adjustments to make it right again... jep frustating.

Oh and another quick question! Last summer I got infected with salmonella and that's where my irritateable bowel started... ever since I'm having gut troubles. Anyone know a supplement that might work for me? I get cramps and have a LOT of bowel movements per day (they take up to 6 times.. not even real diarrhea)

For IBS:

1200 mg, 2 times per day of

N-acytl cysteine (NAC)

Your gut liking is probably damaged.

80 grams per day of glutamine. 10 grams about 8 times per day. It will heal the lining.

Use a high quality product like you find from life extension. Get the powder and mix in favorite beverage. Taste not great but is a few steps short of a miracle.

MemberMember
(@missc1990)

Posted : 01/11/2014 10:08 am

Woow thank you SO much for your advise!! Will look up for it tomorrow!!

I've seen your other posts here and I can tell you're so educated when it comes to the hormonal topic! Is there any specific advise you would give to me for going off birth control the 'safest' way? By safest I obviously mean the least chance of breaking out and lack of periods. I most definitely think that androgens (testosteron) is my problem, because I've been diagnosed with pcos. Also have super oily skin, but even with diane 35 my skin was never completely clear. There was always a few little ones, like whiteheads. I would break out crazy on chocolat bars or just a lot of refined sugar.

Do you think it would be safe to take natural progesterone cream right after I stop taking BCP or would that be a bad idea?

For IBS:

N-acytl cysteine (NAC)

80 grams per day of glutamine. 10 grams about 8 times per day. It will heal the lining.

Use a high quality product like you find from life extension. Get the powder and mix in favorite beverage. Taste not great but is a few steps short of a miracle.

MemberMember
(@jlcampi)

Posted : 01/11/2014 12:24 pm

I've seen your other posts here and I can tell you're so educated when it comes to the hormonal topic! Is there any specific advise you would give to me for going off birth control the 'safest' way? By safest I obviously mean the least chance of breaking out and lack of periods. I most definitely think that androgens (testosteron) is my problem, because I've been diagnosed with pcos. Also have super oily skin, but even with diane 35 my skin was never completely clear. There was always a few little ones, like whiteheads. I would break out crazy on chocolat bars or just a lot of refined sugar.

Do you think it would be safe to take natural progesterone cream right after I stop taking BCP or would that be a bad idea?

For IBS:

N-acytl cysteine (NAC)

It's my pleasure to help. I am going to work and will get back to you on the BC.

Just wanted to say that 80 grams of glutamine is used for 21 days...

MemberMember
(@missc1990)

Posted : 01/12/2014 7:33 am

Thanks!! Looking forward for your response.

My diet is also a guess in the dark... do you think it's useful to go for a food allergy test? I obviously did some pretty good things with my diet such as adding more good fats into it, but I also feel like I might be eating stuff that can still cause inflammation. I still eat my breads (whole grain) because it's just too much effort for me at the moment to cut those out... It's hard to find lunch meats that are 'right'. I also hear a lot of people talking about pork being a bad meat.. but I don't know if that's the case for me. I would just love to test things like that.

I had 2 hamburgers at mcDonald's last friday, and there a few new zits on my face, but I guess that can be a total coincidence.

For IBS:

N-acytl cysteine (NAC)