Notifications
Clear all

Vitamin D2 Vs. D3

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 12/02/2013 10:46 pm

Hi everyone,

Today I got my vitamin D results back after 3+ months of supplementing with D2. My level was initially in the 20s, and now it's 82. So my body definitely absorbed the D2, and now I'm on maintenance but I asked the dr to give me another D2 prescription (50,000IU, which is a lot so she told me that now I only need to take that much every 5 weeks). I can't tolerate any D3 supplements, I believe due to the lanolin, oil, or yeast...but since D2 also has oil I think it must be the lanolin.

My D2 level is 82, but my D3 level is <4. What does that mean? The dr said the total is what matters the most, but if my D3 is that low, shouldn't I also be supplementing with that?

Also, most people who clear their skin are on D3, so I'm thinking the D2 isn't really doing that much for the skin unless it's combined with D3. What do you think? Is it normal to have a <4 on the test for D3, while D2 is higher?

The range is between 30-100 ng/mL

PS. I know that D2 supplementation is not the best. But it's the only form of D I can take unfortunately, besides sunlight.

MemberMember
(@user354689)

Posted : 12/03/2013 12:06 am

Also, most people who clear their skin are on D3...

Cool. I wasn't aware of that. When my levels were low, I went and bought the Liquid Vitamin D3 from Carlson and made sure I also received adequate amounts of sunlight.

Haven't had my levels checked since then though.

Hope someone is able to answer your question regarding the D2 vs. D3

MemberMember
(@k3tchup)

Posted : 12/04/2013 1:20 am

Another narcoleptic night here.. my first initial response is two do some reading on vitamin D2/D3 because I honestly can't remember. All i know is that D2 is not the optimal form and has more potential for severe side effects.

So, that is why I say you might want to do some wiki searches and article reading to get a good idea of the balance and homeostatic processes. I am not sure if there is a conversion of both forms by the body or not. The way you say the doctor stated it by saying "total matters" it makes me believe that there is a conversion therefore higher D2 leads to increased D3?I honestly do not know..and simply cannot remember. If not I would get out in the sun 15 min each day if able. You could try the dry form of D3. I take 600iu daily with calcium, but its not related to acne purposes, but is probably beneficially being that i have always lived the in the northern latitudes. Other than that your D3 supplementation alternatives is limited to sun, dry form, and cod liver oil or other variants as i remember.

I stumped upon this post because I can't sleep from being sick (cant win for losing.. sad.png ). I would love to help, but I lack that energy for such investigation. It seems very individual and just seems that one has to do their own reading not to be mean. I just feel it becomes better understood and relevant. I read multiple articles on vitamin and vitamin processes, but i only recall those to which I had experience with.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 12/04/2013 7:42 am

Go to the vitamin d council site. Also, there was a thread here a while back in which I posted some research Ito d2 as that's the form mushrooms make and I was interested in that.

Also, I'd like to believe there's a reason that the prescription forms of D are D2. But knowing our healthcare system, that might not be the case. Unless its about money.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 12/04/2013 6:35 pm

Go to the vitamin d council site. Also, there was a thread here a while back in which I posted some research Ito d2 as that's the form mushrooms make and I was interested in that.

Also, I'd like to believe there's a reason that the prescription forms of D are D2. But knowing our healthcare system, that might not be the case. Unless its about money.

there are some d2 vegetarian supplements, but they are hard to find in stores and I don't know of a legitimate online website to order them from. I'm pretty sure I can't tolerate lanolin in d3 supplements, so I have no idea what to use. I don't want to keep taking D2 long term because it can be more toxic. The dr. gave me a prescription for 50,000 IU every 5 weeks for maintenance. I bet D2 is cheaper to produce, that's why it's the preferred prescription form. I don't think it has anything to do with quality...it's probably because it's hard to get over the counter, unlike D3, so it's a chance for pharmacies to make a profit on prescriptions.

In terms of acne, though, do you think that only D3 makes an impact? Also, if D2 is normal and D3 is low, isn't that still bad?