Notifications
Clear all

My Accutane Journey - I Start On Monday 18/11/85 (My Birthday)

MemberMember
(@mel188)

Posted : 11/15/2013 12:19 am

Hi all,

I finally saw the dermatologist today after 3 months of continually breaking out with cysts on my jawline, chin and now checks. I had been diagnosed with PCOS (I'm very lean) about 1 month ago and thought this was the cause of the problem. Plus having an under-active thyroid hasn't helped.

I have a family history of acne and every year I had a massive outbreak and would go on Doxcycline for 3 months which would clear it eventually.

I'm starting only 20mg to see how my body tolerates it.

I'm terribly scared and want my old radiant skin back.

I would love to hear about others journey on Roaccutane and get some support. I'm really anxious.

Lots of love,

Mel xx

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 11/16/2013 3:32 am

I finished my course of Roaccutane 3 weeks ago, check out my log for the before and after photos.

It wasn't easy, but the results have been well worth it. It was the best decision I've ever made.

Good luck :)

MemberMember
(@mel188)

Posted : 11/17/2013 5:31 am

Thanks so much EatsRainbows.

How was your first month on Roaccutane? I will check out your blog.

What face wash and moisturizer did you use during your treatment?

I start tomorrow - anxious, excited and staying positive :)

MemberMember
(@mel188)

Posted : 11/19/2013 3:04 am

Hello World!

I started my course today and feeling optimistic.

I'm also on a 2 week course if antibiotics to help with the IB.

Eager to muck acne is the bum for good!!

Keep smiling people :)

MemberMember
(@mel188)

Posted : 11/19/2013 11:03 pm

Thank you! I spoke to a good friend last night and she had a great experience with Roaccutane. She only had dry lips.

I suggest, which you seem optimistic... Don't get scared by the stories out there. If you believe you will get side effects, they will more than likely show up!

It's Day 2 for me and I can feel the dry lips coming on but I say bring it! Off to the shops soon to buy some lip balm :)

How are you going so far?

I can't wait to have my glowing healthy skin back too. It will happen :) In the meantime I'm writing an eBook on how to deal with Acne and Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I want to help as many people as I can having Acne and having it ruin their lives, when it doesn't have to.

Good luck hun and let me know how your going! :)

Mel

Day 2

Today is my second day taking Roaccutane (20mg) as my dermatologist wanted to start me on a low dose. It's nice and sunny hear in Sydney Australia, so I put on my hat and went for a long walk this morning and feel good!

No side effects are showing yet, except I can feel my lips starting to dry up a little however it's not that concerning. Off to the shops to buy some lip balm later on.

I'm not paying attention or anticipating any side effects. As the great saying goes 'what you focus on expands' so I'm not thinking about the fact I'm on Roaccutane or the acne either. I'm preoccupying my mind with things I love. Music, reading, reading affirmations and feeding myself nutritious food :)

If anyone else has just started Roaccutane or has finished it, I'd love to hear from you. Let's all support each other on the journey to great skin!

Mel x

MemberMember
(@mel188)

Posted : 11/24/2013 5:02 am

Day 6

Over the past week I've had no real side effects. My lips are feeling a little dry today.

However I went for a massive walk yesterday and today and DIDNT put sunscreen on or wire a hat and my face is beetroot red. I thought ahh I should be fine.. Pleaseeeee people wear sunscreen!

I've been using the regime products too before my skin dries out too much AND 80% of my acne is gone!!

The regime is killing it from the outside and Roaccutane is killing it underneath!

Loving the results so far and can't wait for the day I have no pimples :)

Till then... Keep positive everyone!

Mel

MemberMember
(@mel188)

Posted : 12/01/2013 7:45 am

Day 13

Hi! I haven't checked in for a while. It's been 13 days since I started my course. My lips are definitely dry now and I'm using Vaseline to keep them moist throughout the day. I've had a few headaches too, however it might of been due to not drinking enough water!

My skin is actually looking better.. I've had a few weird breakouts around my mouth - the right corner of my mouth.. However they clear up in a day or two and leave a nice red mark lol!

My cheeks are looking better. Two weeks ago the left side I could not believe the mound of pimples that had developed in 1-2 weeks.

I'm actually using the "Regime" to wash my skin, however will have to cut back on the treatment as my skin is starting to flake now.

I haven't been feeling down and just going along with my daily routines. I've taken down ALL the mirrors in the lounge room and my bedroom, so I'm not obsessing over my face.

So... no real complains yet. I know it's going to be a up and down hill battle. One week looking good, then the next break outs until it's all gone.

So if your reading this and TERRIFIED on going on Roaccutane. DON'T BE! I spoke to my best friend who was on it when we were teenagers. From what she told me, she had terrible skin (I can't remember!) and she said it was the BEST thing she ever did for her acne. She said if her children ever have acne problems, she will be getting them straight onto Roaccutane (if they needed it).

Yes you have to figure out the underlying cause and mine is due to Hormone Imbalances (Underactive Thyroid and PCOS) - which I'm writing an eBook on to help others suffering. It takes time to correct your hormones and I wanted something that will kill the infection and hopefully keep me clear for a long while after, whilst I correct all my hormonal issues.

Stay positive guys.

With love,

Mel x