Notifications
Clear all

Switch From Otc Lo To Ortho Cyclen?

MemberMember
(@cs99)

Posted : 10/19/2013 10:06 am

This is my fourth month of being on OTC lo and it is helping, but only a little bit, and mainly at the end of the pack, when I am on the highest level of hormones. I am considering switching to Ortho Cyclen because it has that level of hormones consistently throughout the pack. it also has 35 mcg of estrogen as opposed to ortho tri cyclen lo, which has 25 mcg. I am considering switching but I am scared that switching will bring my acne back from the minor improvement it made AND I am worried about the increase in estrogen and possible side effects, like weight gain.

Anyone switch from these two and see a noticeable difference? Anyone go from a low dose bc pill to a regular dose one and gain weight?

MemberMember
(@emmygirl)

Posted : 10/19/2013 10:37 pm

So I just started MonoNessa which is just the generic OrthoCyclen (I wasn't on birth control before so I didn't switch over) and after 10 days I am noticing quite a difference. I did have a pretty bad initial breakout BUT I am sure that since you are already on a birth control it shouldn't make much difference switching over for you. I think mine was because I had a lot of fun zits waiting to come out and starting the birth control just purged my skin. I think it's a good idea to switch if you aren't seeing any real results. It's too soon to notice a weight gain but I definitely haven't gained any weight yet and seem to not have any other side effects which is nice, but I normally do pretty good on birth control. Good luck and keep us posted!

MemberMember
(@sumisee)

Posted : 10/20/2013 10:59 pm

just switch it will be well worth it even if you do break out in the beginning. I luv ortho cyclen. the only bc pill that did awesome things for my skin. I did switch from loestrin to ortho tri cyclen then ortho cyclen so yes I went from a low dose to a high and yes I did gain weight from the ortho tri and ortho cyclen but for me it was okay because im thin anyway. however, I loved being my original weight so I just watched what I ate on the ortho cyclen and I managed to be my original weight again. its well worth it to sacrifice a little more food for clear skin! it took like 4 packs before my face started to clear on the ortho-cyclen so just be patient because it'll be worth it. dnt be afraid to switch. ur not happy with ur skin on the otc lo so why bother continuing being miserable with your acne on that bc! I think it isn't effective because the estrogen is low and it keeps switching by week. when I tried OTC regular, I couldn't clear and I waited 6 or 7 months. then I switched to the monophasic version and everything finally cleared in a couple months! hope my story/advice could help; good luck!

BTW: other than the weight gain that I managed to shed and some sore breasts the first couple of months, I had no other side effects on the higher dose estrogen. everyone's body is different so dnt be afraid because you heard all these nasty side effects on the higher dose bc pills; try it and see for your self. I also recommend if you can, go with the brand name and not the generic! generics are not the same and some people only cleared after they switched from the generic to the brand name of their bc pill of choice so just saying as a heads up!

MemberMember
(@cs99)

Posted : 10/22/2013 1:08 pm

Thanks for your replies! I am still a little torn about what to do. I don't know if I should switch to Ortho Cyclen, since I know my body can tolerate this kind of progestin, or maybe try Yasmin or Yaz, since a lot of people seem to be saying it helps a lot.