Can Laser Treatment...

Notifications
Clear all

Can Laser Treatment Calm Oil Glands?

MemberMember
(@bleedingrose)

Posted : 09/25/2013 6:46 am

I believe in 'functional medicine' & finding the root cause of acne, but in the mean time life would be so much easier if my oil glands would calm down a bit.

I can't leave the house for more than two hours, I can't wear make-up it comes off, I'm constantly trying to keep the skin clean without over drying it - the balance upkeep is round the clock, & people judge me so much.

Has anyone had laser treatment to shrink the oil glands? I heard it can age you, I don't want them destroyed, just calmed down - of course I'd rather not, but I've eliminated so many options, see here:

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/27/2013 11:00 pm

Based on your list in the other post, in which you've pretty much crossed off everything, just go on Accutane. It shrinks the sebaceous glands (it does not destroy them, the sebaceous glands slowly grow back over time...which is why some find themselves on a 2nd or 3rd course a few years later).

Accutane doesn't really fit in your "functional" philosophy, but then, neither do lasers, really.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 10/01/2013 2:33 am

I've just had my first Smoothbeam treatment and it's reduced the oiliness of my skin quite a bit, as well as cleared up the acne that was active at the time.

I'm impressed and anticipate having fewer treatments than I thought I'd need - and my skin was very, very oily to the point of being itchy.

I know Smoothbeam has gotten so-so reviews, but my psychiatrist advised me not to go on Spirolactone. Fortunately this seems to be working out.

MemberMember
(@bleedingrose)

Posted : 10/02/2013 6:27 am

Accutane doesn't really fit in your "functional" philosophy, but then, neither do lasers, really.

Thank you for your suggestion, Accutane affects the body in many ways & isn't long term. Whereas a laser would only affect the glands & be permanent. My skin over produces oil because it is dry, & I know Accutane can dehydrate the body further. I am having Cardiac screening this week, so hopefully I will get to the root of this problem without either.

I've just had my first Smoothbeam treatment and it's reduced the oiliness of my skin quite a bit, as well as cleared up the acne that was active at the time.

I'm impressed and anticipate having fewer treatments than I thought I'd need - and my skin was very, very oily to the point of being itchy.

I know Smoothbeam has gotten so-so reviews, but my psychiatrist advised me not to go on Spirolactone. Fortunately this seems to be working out.

I'm glad you're having success with laser. There are alternatives to Spiro like - Saw Palmetto, Peppermint Tea & The Low GI diet, of course none of this works for me because my skin disease is not caused by high androgen/testosterone levels. At present I do not know what is causing my problems, but the laser option doesn't sound too bad.

MemberMember
(@accutastic)

Posted : 10/20/2013 5:28 pm

I have tried isolaz specifically to reduce the oil slick I get on my nose, did 3 rounds so far this year and it really hasn't done much. I am tempted to try PDT but it looks to be a bit scary, but at this point I'm willing to try it.