Notifications
Clear all

What Do You Consider A Normal Period?

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/24/2013 5:37 pm

I was wondering what you all consider "normal" when it comes to monthly periods. I'm not just talking about getting your period every month, but also in terms of blood flow (sorry for the TMI btw). These past few months, I have been under a lot of stress, but for some miraculous reason I still got my period every month (28-32 day cycles), and my mid-cycle breakouts at approximately the same time each month. The blood flow, however, was different. I would get brown spotting for a few days - sometimes lasting up to 5 days - and then the actual red blood for anything from 2-4 days, then brown spotting for a couple more days.

This month, my stress level was lower, and I noticed that I only spotted for a few hours yesterday, and then the blood flow increased gradually and today I have a "regular" flow. Does this sound more normal than what I was getting the previous months?

I should add that it's been a month since I have been taking inositol to regulate my hormones, and also on my second month of D2.

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 09/24/2013 6:56 pm

Mine is usually normal flow for a day, heavy for a day, then normal for one to two days, then very light/spotting for maybe two days. I did find I got spotting while my body was adjusting to the pill, so I guess that has something to do with my hormones... the worst time I spotted for three weeks :( I've always had brown spotting at the end of my period though, I thought that was pretty normal.

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 09/24/2013 7:08 pm

Before I started birth control, my periods were pretty heavy. I used to go through a super tampon/pad in 1 hour for a few hours in a row. The next day it would be similar and then I'd have 2-3 days of a lighter period to eventually spotting. I take low dose birth control for ovarian cysts and it has tremendously helped my periods. I now have a 3 day period. Day 1 I have to change a pad every 2-3 hours, and day 2 and 3, every 4-5 hours and spotting.

You're period sounds a lot more normal than it did when you were under stress. Everyone's period is different, but spotting isn't much of a period. When you're under stress your body assumes you can't have a baby, so it doesn't make the lining, or doesn't make it as thick. When you're under normal/average stress your body thinks you are healthy enough mentally and physically to have a baby so it makes the lining.

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/24/2013 7:30 pm

This will be TMI...

First year or two of puberty:

period once a month, with the day of month shifting every time, so I guess it was around the 28 days or whatever.

6-7 days long.

LOTS of heavy blood flow.

High school / college:

Period once a month. Longer time between periods, so it's almost on the exact same day of the month (so like 30 or 31 days between).

3-4 days long.

Day 1: Lite tampons.

Day 2-3: Super tampons.

Day 4: Regular tampons.

After spironolactone:

I spot with brown discharge 2-3 days before the period. Blood flow is a bit heavier, don't use Lite tampons anymore. Otherwise it's almost the same as in high school / college.

I should mention that when my period shortened and lightened before high school, that was when my acne went from moderate to severe (and stayed that way...)

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 09/25/2013 9:24 am

My normal is like sorbet mentioned.

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/26/2013 4:51 pm

Thanks ladies! I guess normal varies... but yeah, my period this month feels more normal than the previous months when I was spotting for more days. I was so used to getting a lighter flow, that I didn't notice my tampon overflowed and that I had a RED STAIN in the back of my jeans yesterday. How embarrassing. Thankfully, this happened after I got off work but I went grocery shopping without knowing my pants were stained! That was probably why some people were staring at me....oops shy.gif

MemberMember
(@green-gables)

Posted : 09/26/2013 6:07 pm

Thanks ladies! I guess normal varies... but yeah, my period this month feels more normal than the previous months when I was spotting for more days. I was so used to getting a lighter flow, that I didn't notice my tampon overflowed and that I had a RED STAIN in the back of my jeans yesterday. How embarrassing. Thankfully, this happened after I got off work but I went grocery shopping without knowing my pants were stained! That was probably why some people were staring at me....oops shy.gif

Sounds like a People of Wal-Mart moment saywhat.gif

MemberMember
(@wishclean)

Posted : 09/26/2013 10:42 pm

Sounds like a People of Wal-Mart moment saywhat.gif

haha yeah...if there's a people of publix, I'm definitely on there grinwink.gif

MemberMember
(@sweetbriar)

Posted : 10/02/2013 1:50 pm

A woman's period will change its flow throughout the course of her life simply because her hormone levels fluctuate throughout her life. You can judge the "normalcy" of your period by taking into account the average flow of your previous periods - have you always spotted in the days leading up to it, how many days do they typically last, how often are you changing pads/tampons? My period changed when I started birth control - from 11 to 17 I had very heavy periods that lasted 5-7 days, and when I went on BC it deceased to 4-5 days. I've only ever had 2 "abnormal" periods in my menses life, both of which resulted from extreme stress - I spotted for a couple of days and then kind of had a flow. I've kept a better eye on my flow by using a menstrual cup the past 3 years - it's more sanitary, there's no "period smell" emanating from tampons and pads, you can measure your flow (great for questions like these), and I haven't ruined a single pair of undies or pants since. I put it in moment I notice I'm cramping and then I'm good to go (if you want more info then I'd be more than happy to answer any questions).