Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Journey, 16 Year Old Girl

MemberMember
(@flyhigh)

Posted : 09/20/2013 5:59 am

Background Story On My Acne

To start, my face is definitely not clear but it is not severe acne with cysts.

My forehead, upperlip and cheeks are filled with small tiny bumps coupled with approximately 15% cysts. My entire right cheek and nose is filled with blackheads that are obvious. I have no clear spots on my face and my chin has a few bumps too.

I did the acne.org regimen but it did not help as soon as I went under stress. (national exams in 2 weeks)

Basically, I had acne since I was 11 till now, 16. My skin became clear from retin a from beginning of the year till about march. After march, everything about my skin went downhill. My acne relapsed 5x worse. Previously, I only had acne on my forehead. However since I was under serious stress, my entire face broke out and it didn't stop. A normal person would have immediately gone back to their dermatologist but I was afraid that my dermatologist would scold me since I did not keep up with my retin a.

I went back to my dermatologist on 19 September 2013 because of something someone had said to me. It was my teacher of all people. He embarrassed me in front of the entire class by saying ''If you are that afraid of dried blood, you wouldn't be able to face yourself in the mirror because your acne is that terrible'' He said that because he told us that he had a dried blood scab on his arm and I told him that was disgusting. That was basically it, and he had to humiliate me in front of 30 people of whom 90% are judgemental pricks who made fun of my acne. I had it with my acne and decided to book an appointment with the derma.

On 19 September 2013, I visited the dermatologist and she welcomed me with a big smile. She had no intention of putting me on accutane yet because my acne is not very severe. She told me she wanted me to try antibiotics and retin a first but I told her I want to get all of this acne off my face as quickly as possible and the result has to give me clear smooth skin. I continued on saying I will not care of any side effects as long as my acne is gone. My acne has brought me to tears for the past 5 years and sometimes in the night, I would cry to myself just because of how I looked. She looked at me understandingly and told me that she would try her best and asked how quickly do I want my skin to be. I told her asap and revealed to her that I have skipped school for the past month because of all the stares I got and the teacher who commented on me.

You could tell by her face, that she was horrified and at this point, I was holding back my tears trying to think of something happy. She told me to tell the people and my teacher to get a life and grow up and she asked me ''How would you like to try accutane like your brother?'' My brother had been under this derma and his acne was VERY SEVERE. Several cysts all over his face and he is completely cured now. His face is as smooth as a baby's butt but that's beside the point.

I told her I don't mind trying it since I know it has a near 100% chance in curing acne. But she brought up that I needed to have a blood test and I a little hesitant on accutane now because I have a terrifying fear of needles. She comforted me that with accutane, my skin would revert to its way before puberty and be completely unclogged but with antibiotics, I may be immune to it. She called accutane a second chance at puberty and this time, she would ensure that my skin remains clear with retin a after my accutane course is over. Of course, with that assurance, i immediately said my ok to it. She called my mother to get her approval (usually needs a letter but she trusts us so next month when I visit her, she'll pass it to me). After the call with my mother, she asked me when did I last eat and when I said approximately 16 hours ago (I visited her at 9.30am, I last ate at 6pm last night for dinner) she said great and sent me to wait at the other room while the blood taker (I have no idea what they are called) came to take my blood.

I think I thought I was going to die when the blood taker pierced my vein haha. It was a pinch but I started breathing so harshly and I think the taker was laughing at my reaction. Anyways, so my derma prescribed me 10mg of accutane because I am extremely small sized and my weight is not too heavy. (150cm or 4"11 and 40kg or 88 pounds) She told me that she could prescribe me a higher dosage for a faster result but she didn't want me to be afraid of the initial result so she prescribed me 10mg.

I was prescribed a oil free moisturiser called therapeutic dermatologic formula ultra light hydrator and a pimple gel for my red cyst since 10mg of accutane will work too slowly on the cyst. The pimple gel is clindagel. I will be on this course of accutane for 8 months, and I honestly, can't wait to have clear skin.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have to cleanse my skin with cetaphil and only splash it with water 3 times to remove. Leaving the rest of the cleanser on my face. I was not prescribed any type of birth control because I do not have sex. I think in my country, we are more conservative but usually people dont have sex at 16. My doctor did tell me that birth defects are a 100% chance of happening while on this pill but I told her I am not that kind of girl. Not related, but I believe that sex before marriage for me is a no go. If you are having intercourse while you are not married, I am NOT judging you. I am just saying for my case in my relationships (no boyfriends so far, forever alone probably) I would not want to have intercourse before marrying.

But still, I can't imagine all the other girls who go on 2 types of birth control. Isn't that harsh on your body? (I know hypocritical of me, when I am taking accutane which is a harsh drug haha) I feel sorry for the girls who take birth control, wow. Oh and my blood tests are not monthly like people in the usa. My derma will only take blood tests every 3 months or so. At least, according to my brother but she did mention in my next visit which is 4 weeks from now, I will not have to take another blood test yet. But i remember her saying something about a urine sample, even though she did not ask for it yesterday.

----

Day 2

I took the first pill last night and holy crap. Accutane 10mg sure works fast even though it is only 10mg. My face oil is reduced by 50%! My red pimples have gone down a little with clindagel.

I thought since it was only 10mg, I wouldn't experience dryness on the lips. Boy am I wrong! My lips have been peeling and so I have to use lip balm.

Will update at the end of week 1 or week 2 (since I have exams on week 2). I hope that the initial break out will not be too bad!

No side affects other than lips peeling.

I am not sure if this is a side effect but I am having a dry throat right now, probably cause I may be getting sick.

Just realised this but I have been very thirsty all day. Like abnormally thirsty. But I guess its a good thing, keeping me hydrated.

MemberMember
(@freefood)

Posted : 09/20/2013 10:04 am

Do you have very oily skin? I too am on 10 mg , 11 days in but yet to feel any changes.

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 09/20/2013 10:35 am

You're teacher was so cruel to say that to you, that's enough to crush anyone's confidence.

Anyway, I just wanted to wish you good luck! I have about 1 month left of my course and am so pleased with the results. I think my photos will do all the talking for me so take a look at the difference on my log.

Stay strong :)

MemberMember
(@flyhigh)

Posted : 09/20/2013 10:50 am

Yes infact I do have very oily skin. I can soak up 2 clean and clear oil blotting sheets whenever I used to use them. Sometimes even 2 and a half before I am completely matte. Stay strong buddy and be extremely patient. My brother took 50mg per day (in my country no one gets prescribed higher than that amount or at max 60) And he had to wait a month for the results to appear. Results as in.. initial breakout. But after the breakout his skin just got better and better. If after a month, you do not see results, you should ask your derma. I'm sure your derma has a reason to put you on a 10mg accutane dosage. I am sure that there are results just that you do not see it. As they say the first to notice the results are the people closest to you to strangers and finally, yourself. Keep taking your dosage till your next appointment. Good luck :)

I definitely agree with you that my teacher should not have said that. My self esteem went down to an all time low. I was depressed with my acne but he just made it so much worse. The only people who were supportive was my best friend and my family. They are the only ones who know about me taking accutane too. So proud of everyone who has lived through acne cause it can be very depressing.

Thanks EatsRainbows for the motivation :) glad that your course is almost over.

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 09/20/2013 10:57 am

OhmygoodnessmewhattheHECK! Your teacher honestly sounds like an utter arse; highly unprofessional, and downright disrespectful. I view that as a serious reason to have him penalised.

Good luck with your Accutane adventure. You'll see positive results and you'll feel a LOT more confident.

MemberMember
(@flyhigh)

Posted : 09/20/2013 11:02 am

Hehe thank you! I know! My teacher is just the worst isn't he. I have not been talking to him nor responding to his good mornings and questions. Just completely ignoring him. When I told my mum about his comment, she nearly complained to our ministry. But I told her not to as we wouldn't be the better person if we did it. Believe it or not, his comment wasn't the worse I have received. I have heard a parent telling a child that acne was contagious and that they shouldn't be sitting next to me (the cafe was crowded and we had to share seats)

Yes, I don't exactly understand why people get depressed on accutane. For me, I am just looking forward to after this whole course, having butt ass naked skin and flaunting it to every single person who has ever embarrassed me. Just thinking positively here. haha.

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 09/20/2013 11:20 am

Hehe thank you! I know! My teacher is just the worst isn't he. I have not been talking to him nor responding to his good mornings and questions. Just completely ignoring him. When I told my mum about his comment, she nearly complained to our ministry. But I told her not to as we wouldn't be the better person if we did it. Believe it or not, his comment wasn't the worse I have received. I have heard a parent telling a child that acne was contagious and that they shouldn't be sitting next to me (the cafe was crowded and we had to share seats)

Yes, I don't exactly understand why people get depressed on accutane. For me, I am just looking forward to after this whole course, having butt ass naked skin and flaunting it to every single person who has ever embarrassed me. Just thinking positively here. haha.

That's the spirit! You will definitely achieve amazing results with Accutane, it can honestly clear acne like no other. I see your point, but if this happens again, I would look into filing a complaint. Nobody should get away with such behaviour, especially to this degree, as you say it has affected your self-esteem to a point of not wanting to go to school.

I took my first course of Accutane in 2010 when I was 17, after years of topical treatments and antibiotics. I got to the point that you said you were; I didn't care anymore, I just wanted to go on Accutane, despite hearing about all the negative side effects. I cried in front of my dermatologist when she said that I had to wait for six weeks before they could put me on it. However, six months later, I was completely clear and I found the confidence I was so desperately craving for. I became a new person and I believe that I wouldn't be where I am today if I'd chosen not to go on it back then. My acne has come back in the last year, but to a much lesser degree, so I decide to take the plunge again and go back on the 'tane. I know that I'll achieve the results I once had and my confidence will return.

Stay strong and remember; it's a tough process, but in the end, you will gain the clear skin that you dream of, and your life will excel. I am keeping a log too, so check that out if you're interested/need support! :)

MemberMember
(@flyhigh)

Posted : 09/20/2013 11:30 am

Wow, so much respect for you right now. I am glad that people have been in my occasion. My brother and his friends who had much severe acne than mine wasn't emotional about it. In fact, they are really nonchalant about their acne. The only reason why my brother went to the derma was because my mum finally managed to bring (drag hehe) him there. Otherwise, I think he wouldn't have cared.

Definitely. If the teacher says something like that to me again, I would snap back and report within a blink of an eye. No one deserves more than a second chance. Will definitely check our your log! I have been sticking post its in my diary where I usually write all the to do lists to keep me motivated. Thanks for being another supportive person. The world needs more supportive people.

MemberMember
(@freefood)

Posted : 09/20/2013 11:46 am

Thank you for your kind words, i requested for 10mg as i was afraid my eczema will flare up badly.

Acne has affected my confidence and self-esteems too causing me to distance myself from people and friends.

I hope at the end of the course we will finally be cured of this dreaded disease.

I wish all the best to you as well.

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 09/20/2013 11:49 am

Wow, so much respect for you right now. I am glad that people have been in my occasion. My brother and his friends who had much severe acne than mine wasn't emotional about it. In fact, they are really nonchalant about their acne. The only reason why my brother went to the derma was because my mum finally managed to bring (drag hehe) him there. Otherwise, I think he wouldn't have cared.

Definitely. If the teacher says something like that to me again, I would snap back and report within a blink of an eye. No one deserves more than a second chance. Will definitely check our your log! I have been sticking post its in my diary where I usually write all the to do lists to keep me motivated. Thanks for being another supportive person. The world needs more supportive people.

You're not alone, a lot of us here on this forum have been through utter hell concerning acne, so you've come to the right place! :) How odd, I really do look up to those who aren't bothered by their acne. I suppose everybody is different. Both of my brothers had/have severe acne, and one of them decided to go on Accutane last year. He had the severe cystic type that covered his entire face. I'd never seen him so depressed before. He couldn't even look us in the eye. However, Accutane cleared him dramatically, and he now has flawless skin! He's starting University and took a gap year to travel. My other bro hasn't taken Roaccutane but his acne is less severe, more on the moderate but persistent level, a little like mine. I respect his decision but he seems to maintain a respectful amount of confidence, acne or not. I guess I was given the poor-esteem genes, haha!

Definitely, do not let your teacher get away with this, it sounds disgusting and I am still in shock. I wouldn't be able to face somebody again if they'd said something like that to me. You sound like you have incredible perseverance and maturity to put off complaining for the reason you've mentioned. However, if he persists at being such an arse, then he definitely needs to complained about. I once had a maths teacher who enjoyed picking on me by putting me on the spot, because she knew that I was an anxious child. I used to daydream a lot and I think she used this as a way of embarrassing me, because when she put me on the spot, I'd never be able to answer. It used to embarrass me terribly, which did nothing for my self esteem/anxiety issues. Eventually, my mum complained, and since then, she stopped picking on me. There are unfortunately some cowardly people in this world that need putting in their place.

No problem, if you ever need support or need to vent, feel free. I am going through the wonders of Accutane again and I thoroughly understand how shitty it is to have acne. Anyway, best of luck and stay strong!

MemberMember
(@flyhigh)

Posted : 09/21/2013 7:24 am

Day 3

Well things are going really well. The red volcanic pimples on my cheeks is totally gone only leaving the red marks which is totally fine!

No further dryness and lips have stopped cracking after I have applied lip balm every 4 hours.

Still as thirsty as yesterday.

Oil production has remained the same as yesterday.

Skin has been feeling a lot smoother!

Small little bumps have yet to disappear nor see an improvement.

My eyes are a little dry but not too dry till I need eye drops.

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 09/22/2013 4:40 am

Well your definetely a smart girl if you convinced your dermatologist to put you on accutane when she/he had no indention.

As you already know accutane will indeed clear your acne with a few side effects.

Enough said , take care.

MemberMember
(@flyhigh)

Posted : 09/22/2013 5:26 am

Well your definetely a smart girl if you convinced your dermatologist to put you on accutane when she/he had no indention.

As you already know accutane will indeed clear your acne with a few side effects.

Enough said , take care.

Technically, I did not convince my dermatologist to put me on accutane. I told her my story about why I came to visit her and she changed her mind. My dermatologist definitely does not like bullying and hence, she wanted to help me cure it quicker and more effectively. You take care too :) I am glad that your accutane journey is over.

MemberMember
(@flyhigh)

Posted : 09/22/2013 11:16 am

Day 5

Everything remains the same since day 3. No difference except my lips have totally stopped cracking despite me not using any lip balm throughout the day except for the morning and before sleeping. Thirst remains unquenched, is this a problem? Should I call my dermatologist? Getting worried with how much I am drinking.

Eyes are slightly drier than day 3.

No further improvement on acne but some of my pimples have resurfaced but a lot smaller, clindagel is doing its job in reducing my forehead cyst.

Working hard in being diligent and positive.

MemberMember
(@flyhigh)

Posted : 09/27/2013 9:22 am

Day 10

I apologise for not updating the past 5 days, but I have been busy (mostly studying and napping during the study breaks)

But all is going well! My best friend noticed that my left cheek has been clearing a lot even though the breakout has occurred. The breakout is not as bad as I thought, probably because I am only taking 10mg. But my forehead small tiny bumps are going down quite a lot. The skin along my hairline has been breaking out though. Not serious but just small cysts which go away in 2 - 3 days.

One very annoying side effect of accutane is the drying scalp and drying lips. My dried lips returned and when I smile it cracks, kind of ugly but I have been religiously applying my lip balm now. It has gotten better. The drying scalp is just a PAIN IN THE BUTT!

I am getting so annoyed. It gets so itchy that whenever I vigorously scratch it, it flakes off. I don't know what to do! Washing it everyday is not making it better but I can't seem to not wash it because the flakes are huge and can be easily seen. I am considering of putting hair oils onto the scalp to moisturise it and not cause it to flake as much but I am reluctant cause I am afraid my hair serum is too rich. What should I do about the dry scalp? :(

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 09/27/2013 11:51 am

Day 10

I apologise for not updating the past 5 days, but I have been busy (mostly studying and napping during the study breaks)

But all is going well! My best friend noticed that my left cheek has been clearing a lot even though the breakout has occurred. The breakout is not as bad as I thought, probably because I am only taking 10mg. But my forehead small tiny bumps are going down quite a lot. The skin along my hairline has been breaking out though. Not serious but just small cysts which go away in 2 - 3 days.

One very annoying side effect of accutane is the drying scalp and drying lips. My dried lips returned and when I smile it cracks, kind of ugly but I have been religiously applying my lip balm now. It has gotten better. The drying scalp is just a PAIN IN THE BUTT!

I am getting so annoyed. It gets so itchy that whenever I vigorously scratch it, it flakes off. I don't know what to do! Washing it everyday is not making it better but I can't seem to not wash it because the flakes are huge and can be easily seen. I am considering of putting hair oils onto the scalp to moisturise it and not cause it to flake as much but I am reluctant cause I am afraid my hair serum is too rich. What should I do about the dry scalp? sad.png

What kind of shampoo are you using? I have been using Head & Shoulder's shampoo, which helps a lot for the first couple of days. I am leaving my hair for a week now though, cause it doesn't need washing at all, so within the last few days it gets pretty dry. It should help you though, as you mentioned that you wash your hair often :) I also use a very moisturising conditioner on my scalp, and leave it for a few minutes before washing it out (shampoo also). Before drying, I use a leave-in conditioner on the ends and in the roots.

Hope this helps.

MemberMember
(@flyhigh)

Posted : 09/28/2013 12:11 pm

Day 10

I am getting so annoyed. It gets so itchy that whenever I vigorously scratch it, it flakes off. I don't know what to do! Washing it everyday is not making it better but I can't seem to not wash it because the flakes are huge and can be easily seen. I am considering of putting hair oils onto the scalp to moisturise it and not cause it to flake as much but I am reluctant cause I am afraid my hair serum is too rich. What should I do about the dry scalp? sad.png

What kind of shampoo are you using? I have been using Head & Shoulder's shampoo, which helps a lot for the first couple of days. I am leaving my hair for a week now though, cause it doesn't need washing at all, so within the last few days it gets pretty dry. It should help you though, as you mentioned that you wash your hair often smile.png I also use a very moisturising conditioner on my scalp, and leave it for a few minutes before washing it out (shampoo also). Before drying, I use a leave-in conditioner on the ends and in the roots.

Hope this helps.

I will switch my shampoo to Head & Shoulders then! Sounds pretty good to me. Yeah I have noticed that my hair has gotten dryer than usual. I was on day 4 hair (I know, ew) and my hair didn't even oil up. Usually on day 4, there is a shine to it. Thanks for the tip, will try it tomorrow :) I washed my hair this morning and now, about 12 hours later, my scalp is flaking again! it is so annoying I swear. I couldn't even get rid of some of the flakes after washing my hair. Really hope head & shoulders will help..

MemberMember
(@flyhigh)

Posted : 09/29/2013 12:50 am

<p>I was not going to make a post about an update today but I just had to state something! Damn, accutane is great! Usually on the first day of my period, my back will hurt so much that I have to crawl my way to where I store my painkillers but today, there is nothing! No pain, no nothing! Aside from the slight cramp when I need to you know, pass gas. Other than that, there is nothing and it is great!</p>

<p>&nbsp;</p>

<p>EDIT: It also increased my flow. I went from soaking 1.5 maxi (38cm) pads in the entire day to 2 whole pads. Is this normal? I am talking about soaking it through till I leak! Moreover, my pads are overnights one that are meant to absorb a lot. Gonna call my derma soon.</p>

MemberMember
(@flyhigh)

Posted : 10/07/2013 11:44 pm

Finally, I have some time to post some updates.

Accutane Journey is going really well. Some of my big blackheads on my cheeks are gone and all the bumps are visibly smaller. I can't believe it has barely been a month and the results are tremendous! My lips has been peeling like crazy (partly my fault, cause I pull on the skin), flakes has stopped thanks to Bluemoon's recommendation on head & shoulders.

My hair has not been producing as much oil as previously. It has been a week since I washed my hair and it isn't even shiny! I know I'm gross, but I can't help but experiment. Don't worry I'll wash it. The outbreaks has stopped and my cysts are nearly gone, theres about 3 left on my face. Previously I had about 10 on my face, most on my cheeks. Sadly, they left red marks on my cheeks but I think those will go away over time since they are not dented scars. My eyes have been very dry but it isn't really all that bothering since I use eye drops now.

Pretty good improvement I must say. Well, the next time I update will probably be end of this week since my finals end this week (except for one exam which is in 2 weeks time) Oh! I forgot to mention, even though I have been really stressed out, I have not had a breakout which is terrible.

MemberMember
(@flyhigh)

Posted : 10/10/2013 6:00 am

Finally, most of my finals are over! The stress has gone down by a ton. My lips bled while I was sitting for my Geography exam and for the past few days, the side of my bottom lips have been cracking. Bought some vaseline to put on my lips, hopefully it recovers before prom. I don't really want to go for prom with dried ass lips. My left cheek has no cysts left and it is almost clear. My oil production has gone down by 75% as compared to before accutane. Before accutane, I would always be a greaseball 2 hours after washing my face. But now even after the whole day, I am not oily at all. My skin isn't dry just my lips. Strange..

MemberMember
(@flyhigh)

Posted : 10/21/2013 11:38 pm

My dosage has been increased to 15 mg and it kind of sucks cause my lips has started bleeding from the dryness. The bottom lip has peeled entirely and its just raw. Drinking water hurts but my skin has been clearing up more and more.

MemberMember
(@eatsrainbows)

Posted : 10/25/2013 10:30 am

My dosage has been increased to 15 mg and it kind of sucks cause my lips has started bleeding from the dryness. The bottom lip has peeled entirely and its just raw. Drinking water hurts but my skin has been clearing up more and more.

Have you tried Blistex Relief Cream? I have one that's an 'aromatic ammonia solution', it smells awful but works really well. I used to find my lips bled during the night but if I put this on before bed then they're fine. I only tend to use it in the day because it makes your lips look white for a bit but it's the most effective thing I've found.

Glad things are going well for you :)

MemberMember
(@flyhigh)

Posted : 11/03/2013 10:29 am

Has anyone of you had constipation while on accutane cause it is being a real problem for me. I do drink a lot of liquid now but it is not improving. Starting to take laxative to relieve myself but it really does hurt. I asked my derma but she said that it is not accutane's fault.

MemberMember
(@flyhigh)

Posted : 11/26/2013 9:38 am

After almost an entire month, my cheeks are clearing very quickly at this point. There are no more cysts and almost all the small bumps are gone. Face no longer oil up as much as last time. I do still have active break outs some times but it usually goes down really quickly with clindagel.