Notifications
Clear all

Engagement & Wedding Woes With Acne

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/18/2013 2:21 pm

Hello all!

I've been with my boyfriend for seven (SEVEN!?!) years! I'm a year out of college (23!) and he's two years out (24!). I'm going into the military after deciding that my biology high school teaching job wasn't for me.

Well. Here's the deal. In order to get all the great benefits from the military, you have to be married! lol. And we have to do it SOON so that it can be done before I ship out in February! Of course, I wanted to marry him anyway, so we're not feeling "forced" at all. He's amazing, and my best friend. But...I have ACNE. Why should this matter, you ask? Well, I'm sure you know...

I want my engagement to be beautiful. I don't want any pictures of it to document any embarrassing acne. I don't want my makeup to show in the pictures (weird, suuuuper even skin tone; too light face-- you know the deal). I don't want him to look at my face and be a little less impressed because of my bumps. But I think he might propose this weekend and I'm so nervous! I'm afraid that being nervous will cause my acne! Or that being stressed with cause it!

The good thing is-- I'm actually clearing up because of a combination of things (see my signature for my current regimen). But I'm still afraid that I'll look back on this and think "my acne ruined this moment..."

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to "forget" about my acne for a little while--- just so I can truly enjoy my engagement and then one day, my wedding. Or does anyone have any stories? I just feel so...sad...that this is affecting something that I've always wanted with my best friend. Or, does it matter? Should I even care? Do people even notice?

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 09/18/2013 3:14 pm

I don't know if it helps but i can tell you this.. you are a very beautiful woman and i am sure that with an aesthetician for the make up you are going to be even more beautiful. Not that i think you really need an expert, they just know some tricks we don't. Just relax and enjoy these happy days. My best wishes.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/18/2013 4:45 pm

Miss, the man you're with is going to think you look amazing on your wedding regardless of any skin imperfections. He's been with you so long, what makes you think all the sudden he is going to get repulsed by your acne? While you may think about it, take it from a guy when I say that the condition of your skin/acne/makeup will be one of the farthest things from his mind when he proposes and when you get married.

Take reasonable care and thought towards your skin, but certainly don't obsess over it.

Just enjoy the excitement (and stress lol), and good luck to you both :)

MemberMember
(@someclearday)

Posted : 09/18/2013 5:00 pm

Yay congrats! It's a very exciting time!

My wedding was a couple weeks before I started Accutane. On my wedding day my skin was awful. Didn't care about the cake,flowers, but it was like where the hell is the make up person! Lol

Honestly once my make up was on all the craziness distracted me from my skin. After the good lighting and the editing of the photos I couldn't see a single spot. I remember that I was breaking out that day sure, but it was such a small detail in the whole event. After its all said and done sure, I wish my skin was the last thing on my mind that day but the end result really was all the same. You'll be surrounded by the people that love you and when you look back, that's what you'll remember the most:)

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/18/2013 6:41 pm

Thanks guys for your responses!

I guess I'm just really nervous about it all! I suppose as long as I don't try any new products with my skin in the next couple of days, I'll be fine. As long as my regimen stays stable and normal, I suppose my skin will follow suit.

maria199: Thank you for the compliments! I will most likely hire someone to do my makeup, although...I'd save money if I did it myself and I'd be afraid of them being freaked out about my skin and covering my acne. But I'm sure wedding makeup-people are used to seeing bad skin. lol

CBIOT13: I guess you're right about him not worrying about my acne. He never has in the past literally at all. I think I'm more worried about other people judging me? Like my aunts and cousins and stuff...and my future mother-in-law...who is the most critical person in the entire world. I suppose I shouldn't care about them...it's about my boyfriend and I.

Someclearday: biggrin.png I'm so excited! Thanks for your story! I'm really thankful for what you wrote because it makes me think of all the times I've looked back and thought "I wish acne wasn't the first thing on my mind!" I don't want my wedding to be one of those days at all. Thank goodness for photo editing! haha But I'd still love for the actual day to be acne-free. Wishful thinking!!! haha

Thanks everybody! I'll let you know how the proposal goes! (haha, how embarrassing would it be if it didn't happen at all?)

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 09/18/2013 7:13 pm

Hey heitea! Just coming from the perspective of someone who has assisted a wedding photographer for a couple of years... They can airbrush your acne out (I know that sounds a little shallow, but if it was me I know it'd ease my anxiety a lot, knowing my acne wasn't going to effect the photos!)

Also, I've been to many weddings where the women have acne - one woman had very severe acne and cysts all over her face; it was covered very well with makeup and you couldn't tell unless you got close. Anyway, all of these women looked absolutely beautiful, despite having a less-than-perfect complexion.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/18/2013 7:46 pm

Sorbet,

That definitely makes me feel a lot better that I wouldn't be the only bride to have acne...

It's just that you see all those pictures in the wedding blogs and photography sites and the women look absolutely flawless! I guess the airbrushing is the reason! :D

MemberMember
(@supernova30)

Posted : 09/18/2013 8:28 pm

One more story to hopefully ease your mind. I broke out with a bad cyst a few weeks before my wedding and was so utterly stressed about it. By the time the wedding came along it was definitely healing up but still a bit of a bump with a fair bit of redness. I had professional makeup done and was nervous about it but the ladies actually commented on how nice and clear my skin was! I think they actually do see a decent number of brides with acne. I did keep my own trusted concealer on hand for touchups.

I was so nervous waiting for the pictures but even though our photographer did no air-brushing (she uses real film so any processing needs to be done separately) you really couldn't see my cyst at all. Wedding photographers use lenses and just a touch of overexposure (I think, I'm no expert) that are really flattering to complexions. It helps all kinds of skin issues, from acne to wrinkles. And then of course there is airbrushing. So do NOT worry about the pictures.

As for makeup, if you are breaking out you can always look into airbrush makeup, which is when they spray on the foundation. It is thicker and more expensive but an option.

And finally, your husband-to-be won't care. I promise.

Congratulations!

hitea liked
MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/19/2013 7:03 am

I've looked at airbrushing! It really does create a flawless face.

I know what you mean about the "over-processing" look. It's really gorgeous and I hope all my pictures are like that! haha. It makes people look so soft and glowy. Thank you for your story! It really does ease my mind.

I think my boyfriend is nervous or stressed out because he's got a couple zits. haha.... AH! I hope it happens this weekend so much! He randomly worked a double shift (he's a nurse) on Tuesday and took tomorrow off from work. He NEVER does that type of thing. As in, he's never called out of work or decided not work on any given day. He'd rather work the double AND work the other extra day. So...I'm taking it as a sign!

MemberMember
(@someclearday)

Posted : 09/19/2013 6:03 pm

Yay keep us updated!

MemberMember
(@exister)

Posted : 09/19/2013 6:20 pm

I'm just attending a wedding this weekend and I'm kind of frustrated with the recent breakout I've been having. Never should have had that alfredo pasta. With Parmesan cheese, to boot. Stupid.

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/19/2013 6:29 pm

I'm just attending a wedding this weekend and I'm kind of frustrated with the recent breakout I've been having. Never should have had that alfredo pasta. With Parmesan cheese, to boot. Stupid.

But I bet it tasted so good! Sometimes it's just worth it! Yum! Sorry, I love food. That's why I can never stick to any anti-acne diets. Although, eggs break me out so I have to watch out for those...and I am a vegetarian. But...anyway. haha Alfredo pasta is so tasty!

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/22/2013 9:16 pm

Well! He proposed! :D

He took me out to dinner where we shared a bottle of wine and some great italian food and cheesecake. Then, as we walked on the bridge over the river as the sun was setting, he got down on one knee and popped the question. Then he took me to a local theatre where we watched a play. It was so sweet and perfect and guess what! Not once did I even consider what my face looked like. I was so caught up in the moment and he made me feel so beautiful that I never stopped to think "I wonder if he's looking at my acne."

It was amazing and I'm the happiest girl in the world.

Lilly75 liked
(@Anonymous)

Posted : 09/22/2013 9:39 pm

Hey Congratulations!!!

MemberMember
(@lilly75)

Posted : 09/22/2013 11:08 pm

Congratulations!!! :D That's so exciting! Sounds like it was beautiful too :)

MemberMember
(@vanessa2002)

Posted : 09/23/2013 4:44 am

cheer.gif Congratulations! I was thinking of you all weekend :)

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 09/23/2013 11:37 am

Hey Congratulations!!!

Thanks CBIOT13!! :D 😀

Congratulations!!! biggrin.png That's so exciting! Sounds like it was beautiful too smile.png

Lily, it was so beautiful! I'm so excited! He's such a wonderful guy and it's just so nice to know that we'll be together forever (not that I didn't already, but now it's set it stone-- in a diamond, to be specific! hahah!)

cheer.gif Congratulations! I was thinking of you all weekend smile.png

That's so sweet! That makes me feel special haha :) Thank you so much Vanessa!

Lilly75 liked
MemberMember
(@someclearday)

Posted : 09/23/2013 4:18 pm

Yay!! I was waiting for your update! Congrats :)

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 09/24/2013 4:08 am

Ahh, that's so exciting! Congratulations!

MemberMember
(@maria199)

Posted : 09/24/2013 7:10 am

Congrats!cheer.gif

hitea liked
MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 10/03/2013 7:05 am

He's been with you for this long with the acne - why would it bother him now? :)

juni786, hitea and Lilly75 liked
MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 10/03/2013 9:54 pm

He's been with you for this long with the acne - why would it bother him now? smile.png

You are so right! I can't believe I was actually nervous about it. He's such a sweet guy, anyway. We are best friends and there is absolutely no way he would drop me because of my acne.

I was actually thinking today-- my sister has decently bad scarring on her face from acne, but I'm pretty sure her husband has never even thought twice about it. He loves her unconditionally. That's how my boyfriend *uh---fiance* sees me, probably. :)

My perspective on acne has changed so much in the last few months. I no longer see it as making me UGLY-- I just focus on my real face, now. Not the spots. I feel so much better even though my acne is only slowly improving.

Lilly75 liked