Notifications
Clear all

Do People Notice Acne Scars?

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 08/23/2013 8:40 pm

How do people with no acne or little acne see our scars?

Do they stare at it? What do they think about it?

Are they repulsed?

Pls be honest.

MemberMember
(@twerp)

Posted : 08/23/2013 10:27 pm

I really don't know...it probably depends on a lot of things. If the scars are bad, sure people will notice it, but I doubt they'll really give it a second thought. If they do, they're definitely an asshole and aren't worth your time.

MemberMember
(@sorbet)

Posted : 08/23/2013 11:05 pm

Personally, I notice them on other people because I'm hyper-vigilant with my own skin, and it actually makes me feel more at ease around the person because I know they've been through a similar thing to me.

My boyfriend has a few pitted scars on his cheeks and I really could not care less.

MemberMember
(@alexanderj86)

Posted : 08/24/2013 2:13 am

I really don't know...it probably depends on a lot of things. If the scars are bad, sure people will notice it, but I doubt they'll really give it a second thought. If they do, they're definitely an asshole and aren't worth your time.

This ^

No reasonable person would think anything bad about it.

MemberMember
(@kate75)

Posted : 08/24/2013 5:39 am

Yes, people definitely notice my scars and the reactions I get from people are not good.

MemberMember
(@iconzz)

Posted : 08/24/2013 8:10 am

no i dont think so... i never used to see d acne o scars wen i was clear...... but after i got i observe every person whether its its clear o not

MemberMember
(@like-moonlight)

Posted : 08/24/2013 2:30 pm

I think most people on this site notice other people with acne or scars. I think some of us feel so alone with our acne and we seek out seeing other people with acne so we don't feel like we are the only adults with acne. At least I know I used to observe everyones skin! I looked at other peoples skin and compared mine to theirs. It used to make me feel better to see others with acne. I would look at others with acne and see how the behaved too. To see if I was the only one who let acne bring down my self confidence. Things like that. I never judged people with acne or people without acne or anything like that though.

If someone looks at your acne or your scars and that effects their opinion about who you are as a person, they aren't someone you would want in your life anyways. You are a great person regardless of scarring. Anyones who opinion of you sways because of that are just not worth your time. So don't worry about it. :)

MemberMember
(@bluemoon3)

Posted : 08/24/2013 3:55 pm

I don't know anybody in my personal life with acne at the moment. I used to know a few people with bad acne in my teens, but I know nobody now who I can confide in. Therefore, I suppose I do notice acne and scarring on strangers a little more (though I can't remember the last time I saw an adult with bad acne). I don't feel repulsed, I just feel an empathetic connection, because I know how it feels to suffer from bad acne.

The only people I can talk to in real life, are those that had bad acne in the past. One of my closest friends had severe acne, and since going on Roaccutane in 2009, she has been as clear as crystal. It helps to talk to her, but sometimes I feel embarrassed and frustrated, because my Roaccutane course didn't clear me like it cleared her. My brother also took Roaccutane and he is amazingly clear. I just wish I didn't have to deal with this anymore, but I'm glad this website exists, as it's assuring to know that there are others who feel the same.

MemberMember
(@darkheart)

Posted : 08/24/2013 4:25 pm

Yes. But on the whole most common type of acne scars will usually be confused with large pores so it really isn't the biggest deal in the world when it's mild. The more severe types of scaring (rolling scars, boxcut scars ect.) are really quite noticeable and at times nearly disfiguring. My half brother who I've only met a few times in my life had acne conglobata and the scars he has made him appear as though he was burned. Horrible. Luckily my scars looks like dilated pores are are only on my cheeks.

MemberMember
(@adayinthelife)

Posted : 08/25/2013 3:28 am

I never used to notice them until I had trouble with my skin, I think since it's so common and they blend in the pigmentation of the skin, they can be easily missed but that depends on the severity. I don't think it's something anyone would really care about, certainty wouldn't be repulsed by.

MemberMember
(@fatalbert911)

Posted : 08/25/2013 11:05 pm

yeah of course they do

MemberMember
(@heftymug)

Posted : 08/25/2013 11:10 pm

I never did until I had a particularly bad break out earlier this year which lead to my taking accutane, now I always look at people skin because of my obsession with my own skin.

MemberMember
(@aghhne)

Posted : 08/26/2013 8:33 pm

Lol some people's anwers are just depressing hahaha.

MemberMember
(@gsxr600)

Posted : 08/26/2013 10:14 pm

Personally, I notice them on other people because I'm hyper-vigilant with my own skin

This is more it than anything else. We're so aware/self conscious of our skin and flaws that we think they're incredibly magnified. In reality 95% of people will never notice or bat an eye.

MemberMember
(@rkcat)

Posted : 08/27/2013 6:13 pm

I have a friend with mild acne scarring - I remember once before I had any scars she told me that she always wears makeup because of her acne scars - I didn't even know what she was talking about when she said she has scars - I never thought of her as someone with even mildly bad skin. When I got acne scars and became hyper sensitive to acne scarring - i finally noticed what she was talking about. Her scars are mild - and mine are pretty mild too - but it just goes to show that people are not as concerned with your skin as you are. This is why I often genuinely believe people when I mention my acne scars - and they say they can't see anything wrong with my skin. I see acne scars on so many people now because I am looking for it - whereas before - I only noticed more severe scarring.

Oh i'd also like to add that I have a coworker with acne scarring - pretty shallow but there are a lof of them. I am pretty sure hers are worse than mine. I mentioned to another two coworkers that she has acne scarring - and they didn't know what I was talking about - one even said "I think she has great skin". So again, a lot of the time people don't notice. I have been told by strangers that I have great skin - yes I am wrinkle free and a unique white white colour - but I am always thrown off when this happens like "can't you see my scars?" Some people really don't notice when there are other attractive things about you.

MemberMember
(@irma)

Posted : 08/27/2013 6:29 pm

i personally do notice them because i have them but i don't think that someone that is not familiar with acne will notice..but if they do..well then they are not worth your time.

MemberMember
(@supernova30)

Posted : 08/27/2013 6:52 pm

Like others have said, I think it's absolutely what you are personally looking for/self-conscious about. I have had acne to some degree since being a teen and when I'm breaking out I do tend to notice acne more. But even then, I actually tend to overlook it almost completely on people I know well, like my husband.

And until recently, I never paid attention to acne scarring. Even if someone's scarring was visually obvious, it wouldn't process as anything other than a characteristic about that person, like their eye shape or something. Over the last few months I've been dealing with a bigger scar (never really had to worry about scars before) and now I'm looking for it everywhere. Even when I watch TV, shows I've seen before, I'll now notice tiny scars on people that I never, ever would have noticed before. So yes, I do think everyone on this board is hyper-vigilant about looking at skin and looking specifically for the kind of problem we ourselves are dealing with. The general, clear-skinned population might be looking at your waistline, or your ring, or whatever they have their mind on at the moment.

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 08/27/2013 7:02 pm

I have acne, but I'm clear at the moment and don't have scarring (I say 'have acne' because I control it, it's not gone away completely on it's own). I do notice scarring because I'm used to taking notice of my own skin to see what it needs. I don't find it repulsive or anything like that. Before acne I didn't notice scars but, then again, I didn't notice when my best friend dyed and cut off all her hair either. People do ultimately notice something if it's evident enough, but it'll be a passing observation for most people and not something they scrutinize and judge you for.

MemberMember
(@goodz19)

Posted : 08/28/2013 8:46 am

Lately I cant stop scrutinizing everyone's complexion, obviously including my own. It's horrible to say, but I actually find some consolation when I see someone else dealing with what we do. Face it, we are in the same internet-boat together so we know what it's like; but out in the real world, it's just different. I take some sense of solace of not being alone when I see someone either w/ active acne or scarring; makes me feel a little more comfortable being around people. Sorry if that sounds strange, or naive, or what have you. Kinda silly I guess, but something that eases my mind a tad.