Notifications
Clear all

Folliculitis, Allergic Dermatitis Or Something Else?! Help Please!

MemberMember
(@christinenc)

Posted : 08/15/2013 9:35 pm

Does this look like folliculitis to you? I can't find anything through searches that looks like it. All of the pictures show red inflamed bumps all over and I mostly have flesh colored bumps with a few red ones/white head looking spots. It first appeared after working out and switching to a SA facewash along with using BP topically and the more I tried to treat it the worse it got. Cortisone seems to help a bit but its only a quick fix and as soon as I sweat or shower it gets aggravated.

post-214693-0-45530300-1376620410_thumb.

post-214693-0-45530300-1376620410_thumb.

MemberMember
(@cw24)

Posted : 08/15/2013 10:10 pm

I had something similar occur on my chest neck and face about a month ago. It occurred after working on a really hot and humid day. I got a bunch of flesh colored bumps but also a lot of red ones. I first thought it was pityrosporum folliculitis but I went to the derm and he said it looked like clogged pores. Anyway I was put on Accutane again since I was already on a topical when this occurred. (my original acne was under control when this showed up). Anyway its starting to go away now though. Like I said Im not sure if its the same thing as what you have though.

Also look into this. keratosis pilaris. That has more of the flesh colored bumps you described. Again not a doctor just guessing.

MemberMember
(@tom-busby)

Posted : 08/15/2013 11:44 pm

I call that "reverse freckles." I get those too. You can easily do a differential diagnosis with Lotrimin Ultra (not AF), which is better than seeing a doc. If your conditions improve after a week of this treatment, the condition is caused by malassezia, a photo-sensitive yeast that attempts to protect itself from excessive sunlight by co-optiong your immunne system to make those bumps.

This is an off-label use of Lotrimin Ultra, but in 2012 the FDA issued a Guidance for cliinical trials on butenafine HCl, the active ingredient in Lotrimin Ultra, so people who know more than me think it will work too.