Notifications
Clear all

Anyone On Desogen?

MemberMember
(@cinnamon_stix)

Posted : 08/15/2013 8:04 am

Just switched from necon 135 to desogen and I was wondering if anyone here is on it. Please go ahead and share your experiences! I switched because I hear desogen is great for skin.

MemberMember
(@michi31)

Posted : 08/15/2013 9:24 am

Weird thing is that I was on Reclipsen (generic Desogen) for a little while before I did IVF and had a baby. The time I was on it I didn't break out at all. After the baby I decided to go back on it thinking it would work and it caused worse breakouts, so I quit. I guess the pill works differently depending on what hormonal state you are in..

MemberMember
(@sumisee)

Posted : 08/15/2013 10:20 am

I have never been on either of those but Desogen seems great for skin because you have a higher amount of estrogen (0.03 as oppose to 0.02) and its monophasic which my derm says is great for people who are sensitive to hormonal fluctuations which trigger breakouts and emotional disturbances. the birth control that cleared my skin wonderfully was Ortho-Cyclen not Ortho-Tri-Cyclen. I tried the Tri-Cyclen and after 6 months was still breaking out and my derm blamed it on the triphasic cycle so I switched to Ortho-Cyclen and at 6 months was finally not breaking out too much anymore and by 8 months was totally clear. My ortho-cyclen has about the same amount of estrogen as your Desogen and their both monophasic so I really believe that you picked a good one.

MemberMember
(@cinnamon_stix)

Posted : 08/15/2013 12:21 pm

Only thing is that desogen has less estrogen then ortho novum ortho has 35 while desogen has 30. Another thing is that the progestational effect in desogen is high whereas the progesterone in ortho was low

So I hope it won't make my skin worse..

MemberMember
(@sumisee)

Posted : 08/15/2013 2:52 pm

Hopefully Desogen works well on clearing you up. I found this guide online that might be helpful to you if you decide to look for a different bc pill:

Problem

Solution

Pill

ACNE, UNWANTED HAIR

Higher estrogen, lower androgen

Brevicon, Mircette, Modicon, Ortho-Cyclen, NuvaRing, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Yaz, Estrostep Fe (the last three are FDA-approved for acne)

BREAKTHROUGH BLEEDING (SPOTTING), OVARIAN CYSTS

Higher estrogen, higher progestin, lower androgen

Desogen, Ortho-Cept, Ovcon 50, Yasmin, Zovia 1/50E, NuvaRing

BREAST SORENESS

Lower estrogen, lower progestin pill, or progestin-only pill

Alesse, Yaz, Loestrin 24 Fe or Loestrin 1/20, Mircette, Ortho-Micronor

DEPRESSION, MOODINESS, IRRITABILITY

Lower progestin

Alesse, Brevicon, Levlite, Modicon, Ortho-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ovcon 35, Tri-Levlen, Triphasil, Loestrin 1/20, Yasmin, NuvaRing

ENDOMETRIOSIS (The uterine lining grows in the fallopian tubes or ovaries, causing bleeding and, potentially, cysts and scarring)

Lower estrogen, higher progestin, or "no-period" pills like Seasonique, Seasonale, and Lybrel (which stop your period, or reduce its frequency) for continual hormones without fluctuation.

Demulen 1/35, Levlen, Levora, Loestrin 1.5/30, Loestrin 1/20, Lo Ovral, Nordette, Zovia 1/35E. (Take these pills continuously, no placebos, to skip your period. For a light period, take placebos for four days.)

HEADACHES

Low estrogen, low progestin; hormonal fluctuations can trigger headaches. For menstrual migraines, Seasonale or Seasonique keep hormones stable, stopping a migraine-causing "drop."

Alesse, Brevicon, Levlite, Modicon, Necon 1/35, Ortho-Cyclen, Othro Tri-Cyclen, Ovcon 35, Tri-Levlen, Triphasil. (Tri-phasic pills can cause hormonal fluctuation, but not enough to notice.)

SEVERE MENSTRUAL CRAMPS

Higher progestin or no-period pills, although most pills will help.

Demulen 1/35, Desogen, Mircette, Loestrin 1.5/30, Ortho-Cept, Yasmin, Seasonale, Seasonique, Lybrel

IRREGULAR/PAINFUL PERIODS, PMS, PMDD

Low progestin, low androgen pills, as well as no-period pills

Yaz (FDA indication for PMDD), Loestrin 24 Fe, Seasonale, Seasonique, Lybrel

WEIGHT GAIN

Low estrogen, low progestin

Alesse, Levlite, Loestrin 1/20, Yasmin; any pill with less estrogen than your current one. (Yaz and Yasmin both help with bloat.)

POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN SYNDROME

Low androgen, low progestin

Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Yaz, Yasmin

BREAST-FEEDING, AVOIDING ESTROGEN

Progestin-only pills, or mini pills, which contain no estrogen

Ovrette, Ortho-Micronor